Hey there strangers! SO I’ve got some pretty exciting news for you all… I know I’ve been a little out of the loop lately but that’s about to change! This year I am teaming up with Dole as one of their official Ambassadors for 2015! I’ve had the great pleasure of working with Dole numerous times over the past few years attending both their Salad and Banana Summits (both of which were a total blast!).
I’ve always been a big believer in eating healthy fresh foods & have always tried to incorporate tons of fruits and veggies into my daily diet. I thought I was great at it and then I had a baby and it really caused me to take a better look at the foods we were (or were not) consuming. Especially when little miss started eating solids, I realized just how critical it was for us to be making healthy food choices as a family! I didn’t want to be a “do as I say, not as I do” parent. So… we choose to lead by example!
A little tip that helps us get our fruits and veggies in is to PREP AHEAD FOR THE WEEK. Seriously. This helps immensely. When I need a quick healthy snack for myself or my toddler throughout the day, I’ve always got fruits and veggies at my fingertips! Convenience makes eating healthier a no-brainer!
How do I prep for the week? I do my shopping on Sunday and prep all of our fruits and veggies! Some favorites I like to keep on hand:
- Carrots, Celery, Snap Peas: rinse, cut and place into individual airtight containers (I add a splash of water which helps keeps them crisp!)
- Berries: I always have a combination of grapes, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries on hand. Tip for making the berries last longer: do a vinegar water rinse before storing. It’s as easy as it sounds: Add fruit to a large bowl and cover with water and a few tablespoons of white vinegar. Allow to soak for 15 minutes, drain and pat dry. I put the berries back into the clamshells they came in (adding a paper towel in the bottom).
- Grapes: I do the same vinegar rinse as I do for the berries, but I then pull them completely of the stems and have loose grapes in a large resealable container. This makes it an easy grab and go snack! Seriously. If they are ready to eat… they get eaten! If not? Well… they rot. Let’s be honest.
- Apples, Kiwi, & Pears: I leave in refrigerator produce drawer and cut (apples) and peel (kiwi) right before eating.
- Pineapple: Peeled, cored, and cubed in an airtight container.
- BANANAS. Duh. We always have a giant bunch of bananas because I swear I live with one tiny pint sized monkey that goes by the name of Peyton! 😉
Okay, so back to Dole. They just launched this new incredible Campaign and Tour called “Get up and Grow“. They want to encourage people to lead healthier lifestyles by getting active, getting enough sleep, and also incorporating more fruits and vegetables into their daily diet! Win Win Win. And if getting healthier isn’t enough motivation – they are making it fun! With Recipes, a super fun tour, prizes etc.
How can you take part? It’s EASY…
Step 1: Take the Get Up and Grow! Pledge and commit to living healthier in 2015 (It’s a quick interactive exercise to create your own custom health goals)!
Step 2: Eat more Fruits & Veggies
Step 3: Track your progress throughout the year on your personal Get up and Grow! Page
- You’ll have a chance to win all sorts of prizes: Fitbits, Dole products, and one lucky winner will even be rewarded with a wellness getaway to the California Health & Longevity Institute at the Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village combining medical, nutrition, fitness and life balance instruction, and spa services.
Step 4: Check out one of the Coast to Coast Tour stops in 45 different US cities!
Here’s to a healthier 2015!