Thursday, March 31, 2011

Corned Beef Hash

I love re-purposing left overs. When I saw our corned beef leftovers from St. Patrick’s Day, I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do with it – make a hash!  It was sort of an experiment as I didn’t have an actual recipe I was following.  I just used what I had in the refrigerator.  It is a pretty basic recipe that can be easily adapted.  Some ideas I have are to add some chopped green/red bell pepper  and/or even use a mix of sweet potato and red potoato next time.  Hashes are a great way to use up some of that produce that’s been hiding out in your refrigerator vegetable drawer.

Let me tell you, this simple corned beef hash blows that nasty canned version outta the water!! Not that it’s that stiff of a competition… but hey! hah

Corned Beef Hash

1-2 TBS Butter
1 TBS Canola Oil
1 Medium Onion - diced
2 Cups Potato - diced
2 Cups Cooked Corned Beef - Chopped
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
Cayenne to taste

Heat the butter & canola oil in a large skillet over medium medium-high heat (my cast iron worked beautifully for this). Add the onion and saute for a few minutes. Next add the potatoes and salt, pepper, and cayenne. Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes flipping the potatoes every 5 minutes or so. I used a large lid to help steam the potatoes a bit. Once potatoes are fully cooked and nice and brown, and the chopped corned beef and cook until heated through.

Serve hot. We like to eat ours with fried eggs and a hot cup of joe. SO delicious!

Note: I parboiled (half cooked) my potatoes before I diced them. You could also use leftover baked potatoes.

8 Responses to “Corned Beef Hash”

Sara Beth — March 31, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

My husband was JUST saying yesterday how he is in the mood for corned beef!!! I’m going to try this recipe! Looks Delish! Thanks for the post! I love your blog!!

mom — April 1, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Tina – This looks SO good.

Hester aka The Chef Doc — April 5, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

Mmm mmm mmm! This looks so tasty! I’ve never made corned beef before. Is it hard? I think I only want to make that just to get to the corned beef hash part :-)

• Kristina replied: — April 6th, 2011 @ 10:05 am

It’s acutally SUPER easy! I use my crockpot… :)

Ky Foley — April 5, 2011 @ 11:14 pm

Wow! This looks delicious! My Fiancée taught me how to make corn beef hash but i’ve never added cayenne to it, but will try it now. I’m not a big fan of breakfast but tomorrow morning just might be a corn beef hash morning thanks to your lovely writing and mouth watering photos, thanks so much for sharing! =]

• Kristina replied: — April 6th, 2011 @ 10:15 am

We have a little obsession with Cayenne in our household… I’ll put it in just about anything!! The extra ‘kick’ in the hash is super nice!

Nami @ Just One Cookbook — April 5, 2011 @ 11:49 pm

Hi Tina! I came to visit your site from Foodbuzz. Hmmmm this post makes me REALLY hungry! I’m going to check your other posts too. Nice meeting you!

• Kristina replied: — April 6th, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Thanks for stopping by… Glad you like it! Nice to meet you too! :)