Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dijon Honey-Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin

With Easter fast approaching, I had every intention of making a ham the other night - a nice beautiful glazed ham. I walked over to my Publix (thrilled that I live practically in it’s backyard), and marched myself right over to the cooked ham section. Hello, disappointment! $17.99 for a whimpy little teeny tiny ham (that’s not even sliced!)?! PULEEZE – like I was going to spend that on a weeknight dinner for just me and my husband! Think again.

I decided to get creative and took a few steps over and saw some beautiful pork tenderloins staring me in the face.  I wondered how a ham glaze would taste on a pork tenderloin?  At $7.99 for nearly 2 lbs of pork, I thought it was worth a shot!

I started pouring a little of this, a little of that into a small bowl to create a glaze that I thought would taste fabulous. And you know what, it DID.  Sometimes experiments just work out like that (Enter: Halleluja Chorus)!

This pork tenderloin was to. die. for. (and that is coming from someone who is not all that into ‘the other white meat’).  The hubs could not stop talking about it (that’s how I know he really really likes something).

Looking for a new twist on the usual Easter classic? Try this!

Dijon Honey-Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin

1.5-2 lb Pork Tenderloin (Mine was 1.7 lbs)
1/3 Packed Brown Sugar
1 TBS Dijon Mustard
1 TBS White Vinegar
1 TBS Honey
1 TBS Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Allspice

Rinse and pat dry pork tenderloin. Place into a large ziplock bag and set aside. Mix remaining ingredients together in a small bowl. Reserve 3 TBS of the mixture and set aside. Pour remainder of mixture into the plastic bag over the pork. Push as much air out of the bag as you can and seal it. Make sure the mixture coats the pork thoroughly (using your hands to move the liquid inside of the bag). Allow to marinate for 12-24 hours (I usually do this the night before).

Pull pork out of the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking. Preheat oven to 400º. Heat 1-2 TBS canola oil in a large oven-safe skillet (I used my cast iron) over medium high heat. Sear the pork on all sides (about 5 minutes in total).

Pour remaining 3 TBS of glaze over the pork and then place entire skillet into the oven. Bake until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 150°F (about 15-20 minutes). Remove from oven and also remove pork from skillet and place onto a cutting board. Allow to rest for 8-10 minutes before slicing. Slice across the grain into half inch thick pieces and serve.

12 Responses to “Dijon Honey-Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin”

Mike — April 13, 2011 @ 11:56 am

You made me a believer in pork tenderloin again. And that glaze should make Boar’s Head nervous. Great job, babe. I love you!

natalie (the sweets life) — April 13, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

beautiful picture! I love pork tenderloin–more than ham for sure! :)

• Kristina replied: — April 13th, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

Thanks Natalie!

Sara — April 13, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

Oh wow does that look delicious! My husband and I love pork tenderloin, especially when we marinate it and throw it on the grill, so this will be something we try soon. :) Love the photos too, looks very tasty. What kind of potato dish is that?

• Kristina replied: — April 13th, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

It’s a very healthy (NOT!) Hash brown casserole… but SO worth every calorie. I’ll post the recipe tomorrow! :)

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — April 13, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

Kristina, you know how much I love pork. I will absolutely add this to my recipe box :) Photos are gorgeous!!

• Kristina replied: — April 13th, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

Thanks, Andrea! I just realized you posted a pork recipe today too… guess it’s that kind of day! ;)

Peggy — April 14, 2011 @ 5:53 am

I’m a big fan of tenderloin and this is definitely going to be tried very soon! That glaze sounds fabulous!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 14, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

What a lovely looking meal! That pork looks perfect.

Ky Foley — April 14, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

That is the perfect meal right there. Great job! Photos are fab and so is your recipe. Thanks so much for sharing =]

katie — April 24, 2011 @ 10:28 am

sooo…i bought the meat for this recipe the other night and figured i already had everything else in the house. pulled up this post again now and realized i lack one thing to make it for Easter lunch: TIME. totally didn’t realize it needed to be marinated overnight. so…guess i’ll be making it later in the week. i’ll have to send ryan to winn-dixie for some steaks (darn) for today, but i’ll let you know how i like the pork when i do end up making it. :) (sorry for the long comment, just wanted you to know that i was going to make this and forgot to tell you at church.) xoxo

Lauren — August 2, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

I saw this after finding your sweet potato crusted fish recipe on Pinterest and digging through the rest of your blog, bookmarking nearly every recipe. Made it tonight and it’s incredible. Thank you!