Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Eggplant Parm Pizza

Hello new favorite pizza! The hubs and I make homemade pizza about once a week (usually on Sundays).  It makes great leftovers for the Monday’s lunch, and we just love it!  This past Sunday I wanted to get creative with our pizza and for whatever reason, Eggplant Parmesan was on my mind.  I thought to cube up the eggplant and roll with it. The little bite sized pieced turned out so crispy and delicious. I am going to make an eggplant parm sub next time with those little guys! SO SO good.

This is what happens when Eggplant Parm meets Pizza. PHENOMENAL! Be prepared to fall in love.

Eggplant Parm Pizza

Eggplant:
3 TBS Canola Oil
1 medium eggplant - cubed into 3/4 inch pieces (roughly 4 cups)
1 tsp salt

Corn Meal

Basic Pizza Sauce (makes enough for 3 pizzas):
28oz Crushed Tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 400º F. I place my pizza stone on the bottom rack and allow it to begin heating up. Coat the bottom of a sheet pan with the 3 TBS of Canola Oil

Placed cubed Eggplant into a collander and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt (toss to coat well). Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over eggplant one TBS at a time and toss until coated.

Beat one egg plus 2 egg whites in a medium bowl. Add the eggplant to the egg wash and gently toss until coated. Remove making sure to shake off any excess eggwash.

In a 3rd bowl, mix together eggplant coating ingredients (Panko, bread crumbs, garlic powder, pepper, and dried basil). Add the eggplant that has been coated in egg wash and gently toss until coated. Pour entire contents of bowl onto baking sheet and spread into one even layer (make sure none of the eggplant are overlapping).

Bake for 20-25 minutes (flipping halfway through). Eggplant should be nice and crisp, and beginning to brown. Remove from oven and set aside.

Move pizza stone to middle rack and turn heat up to 450º. Roll out or hand toss the pizza dough (we hand tossed it to make a nice thick crust). Sprinkle some corn meal onto pizza stone right before putting dough on it (this helps prevent sticking). Poke the center of the pizza dough with a fork to prevent it from bubbling up. Close oven and bake dough for 3-5 minutes. Remove dough from oven with a pizza peel (It should be firm and puffy, but not browning).

Add desired amount of pizza sauce (I used about 3/4 cup of the above mentioned recipe). Next, add cheese and eggplant. Bake for another 5-7 minutes. Last, turn oven on broil and allow crust to brown (only about a minute or so). Keep a close eye on it while it is broiling! Remove from oven, sprinkle with fresh basil, slice with a pizza wheel, and serve.

The best pizza - EVER.

30 Responses to “Eggplant Parm Pizza”

Alicia @ Aligirl Cooks — April 19, 2011 @ 9:20 am

We love eggplant parm at our house! This might just be on next week’s menu!

Mike — April 19, 2011 @ 10:07 am

This pizza was amazing. When you make this, make 2! Leftovers will be scarce.

mom — April 19, 2011 @ 10:55 am

This looks REALLY good!

natalie (the sweets life) — April 19, 2011 @ 11:00 am

this is brilliant! what a fun take on pizza! I can’t wait to try :)

• Kristina replied: — April 20th, 2011 @ 11:45 am

Thanks lady! :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — April 19, 2011 @ 9:17 pm

this looks awesome! i’m gonna try it with chicken parm :)

• Kristina replied: — April 20th, 2011 @ 11:45 am

I was thinking i’d try that next!

shannon — April 19, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

THat looks divine!!! I just want to eat it off the page! xo, buzz from Idaho

• Kristina replied: — April 20th, 2011 @ 11:47 am

I SO wish that were possible! Although, my waistline wouldn’t thank me if I could eat all the foods I saw online! haha

The Mistress of Spices — April 20, 2011 @ 3:54 am

Um…I’m already in love! I can only imagine how delicious this must be. Can’t wait to make it!

• Kristina replied: — April 20th, 2011 @ 11:47 am

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

RavieNomNoms — April 20, 2011 @ 9:39 am

I am diggin it!! I really love the idea…it sounds really delicious!

• Kristina replied: — April 20th, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Thanks!

Erin — April 20, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Fun idea! Definitely gonna try this.

• Kristina replied: — April 20th, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Do it! :)

sandy axelrod — April 20, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Oh boy that sounds good! It looks delicious, great photos. Can’t wait to try it because Steve and I love eggplant. Usually I grilled slices of eggplant and mix with roasted peppers, red onion, chickpeas, feta and garlic for a Mediterranean Salad. It would be nice to add to my repertoire.

Gwenevere — April 21, 2011 @ 4:35 am

Our pizza night is Friday night and this combination sounds – fabulous! (did you sing that fabulous part-try it again, the comment reads so much better when you sing fabulous.) Since the egg plant is covered, I think I may be able to get my kids to try it too – well maybe one of them will try it but that is success in my book.

• Kristina replied: — April 21st, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Trickery… I like it! :) And of COURSE i sang fabulous (it’s the only way to do it!) hah

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour — April 21, 2011 @ 9:37 am

This looks mouthwatering! Well deserved on the top 9!! My kids love to make homemade pizza too… Maybe a good way to get them to eat their veggies!

• Kristina replied: — April 21st, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Thanks so much! Coat a veggie in a crispy coating and throw them onto a pizza – I think any kid would eat them that way! :)

Sandie (Sandie's Bitchin' Kitchen) — April 21, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

Kristina,
    This looks absolutely DIVINE!! I will definitely be trying this very soon!

kate@ahealthypassion — April 21, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

Oooh this pizza looks amazing, I loveeee eggplant parm and the idea of making it into a pizza is brilliant!

Katarina — April 22, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

The pizza looks so delicious!

Whitney — April 22, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

Thanks for the incredible recipe! I made this tonight and OMG…. SOOOO GOOD! I gobbled up three slices and STILL keep thinking about the leftovers in the fridge! LOL! What a delicious gourmet pizza. :) Thanks!

• Kristina replied: — April 23rd, 2011 @ 9:05 am

I’m SO glad to hear you enjoyed it!! :) it’s addicting isn’t it? Thanks for the feedback!!

• Kristina replied: — April 26th, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback! SO glad you liked it! I love hearing when people actually make the recipes I post! Way cool! :)

Lindsay Loves 7 | The Lean Green Bean — April 23, 2011 @ 10:30 am

[…] Eggplant Parm Pizza from Tina @ My Life as a Mrs. […]

Courtney — May 2, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

This looks sooo yummy! Now only if I could get my husband on board with eggplant…maybe he won’t notice…? :) Great post!

Donna — September 11, 2011 @ 11:00 am

The end of your post pretty well sums it up – best pizza ever! We make homemade pizza a lot, and we always try something different. Last night we tried this and it was so, so good! Hubby isn’t a big fan of eggplant (I am) but he loved this. The eggplant bites are so yummy I made extra to eat today! It’s awesome. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it will go in my keeper book for sure!

• Kristina replied: — September 11th, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

SO glad to hear you loved it! It’s one of my favorites thus far! :)