Friday, April 29, 2011

Summer Sangria

It’s Friday and you know what that means… Cocktail Friday with the Hubs!!! This drink recipe is another favorite of mine (second to the Blood Orange Mike-arita of course)! This sure is one crowd pleaser! Enjoy!

What comes to mind when you’re thinking of a great party beverage?  Punch?  Wine?  Wine punch?!?  Ha ha!  Nothing gets a party started and keeps said party going like a beautiful and enticing pitcher of sangria.  I really love sangria because I can make it hours before the party, set it on bar and spend my night conversing with friends and loved ones  rather than tending bar all night long.

Sangria, (for all you fact finder nerds like me) is a wine punch with origins from Spain and Portugal.  In its simplest form, it is comprised of a few essential ingredients:

1. Young, Inexpensive Dry Red Wine (Tempranillo preferred - but any decent dry red wine will do)
  2. Sliced Fruit
  3. Sweetener (Juices, Simple Syrup,  or Fruit Nectars)
  4. Spirits (Liquor and / or Liqueurs)

Some sangria recipes out there are way too complex with their laundry list of ingredients.  I make mine based on what’s stocked in our cabinet and refrigerator.  Think of Sangria as the ‘casserole’ of mixed drinks.  If you like specific flavors/ingredients – mix them right on in there!

If you’re short handed on the specific ingredients I have listed in our recipe, just refer to the ‘essentials’ list mentioned above.  Substitute any of the things mentioned based on what you do have.

Our recipe is one that Tina and I have tweaked and re-tweaked until we found our perfect flavor profile.  I hope you like it and at the very least, it’s a great “jump off” point for you to create a delicious party (wine) punch!

CHEERS to “el fin de semana”!

Summer Sangria

Makes 2 Quarts (Doubling recipe is strongly recommended)
Serves: 4-6

Sangria:
1 bottle (750 ml) inexpensive spanish red wine
(We used El Prado - a Tempranillo Cabernet Sauvignon)
3/4 cup orange juice (we use blood orange since we had it on hand)
1/2 cup triple sec
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup creme de cassis
1/4 cup simple syrup

For Garnish:
1-2 oranges, sliced
1-2 lemons, sliced
1-2 limes, sliced

Combine the Sangria ingredients in a large pitcher and stir well. Add sliced fruit setting aside a few rounds for garnishing the individual glasses. Refrigerate for a few hours, until chilled.

Pour over ice and garnish with remaining fruit slices.

15 Responses to “Summer Sangria”

Nancy — April 29, 2011 @ 10:42 am

YUMMY!!!! Feliz Fin de Semana!!!!! Congrats guys, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all your posts!!!!! Keep them coming!!!

Shawnda — April 29, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I love how “winey” your recipe is. I’m not a fan of sangria that’s watered down with, you know, non-wine stuff :)

PolaM — April 29, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

I make a pretty mean sangria myself and my secret is Peach. try adding a bit of peach juice and have peach slices in your sangria together with the orange juice and slices and let me know what you think!

• Kristina replied: — April 29th, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

I want to make a white sangria with peach… i think it would be DELICIOUS! :)

Tulip — April 29, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

It’s time to have a party! NC is getting way to hot!
    Love all your post and starting to enjoy The Hubs Friday cocktails.

jaclyn — April 29, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

delicious! i love sangria, and my favorite varieties are with white and rose wines!

it’s so awesome that your husband posts cocktails on your site, my fiance just asked me if he could start guest-posting on my site, too! i love that he wants to get involved!

have a fabulous weekend, lady!

Laura Flowers — April 29, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

I’m always on the hunt for new sangria recipes to try! Thank-you!

Laura

Rachel B — April 29, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

Mmmm, LOVE wine, LOVE Sangria, LOVE these pictures.

Amy — April 30, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

I’ve been wanting to find a good sangria recipe. I’ll be trying this!

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom — May 1, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Sangria is so perfect for warm nights on the patio. Thanks for a lovely recipe.

Kelly — May 1, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Mmmm I love finding new sangria recipes and this one looks fantastic! Gorgeous pictures! Loving your blog and so glad to be your new follower! :)

JazzRules — May 5, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

S is for sangria! The best part of sangria is eating the fruit at the end!

Annalise — May 18, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

So I made this sangria over the weekend for a party we had outside and it was a huge hit! Soooo good. I’ve seen a lot of recipes and I wasn’t sure how I’d pick one. I picked yours and I’m so glad I did, I won’t ever need to try any other, it was perfect! Thanks for sharing!

• Kristina replied: — May 18th, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

aww thanks SO much for the feedback! Glad it was such a hit! :) Cheers!

LJ — September 28, 2013 @ 3:05 am

I’m making this for girl’s night in and think it to be essential that you use frozen wine cubes or juice. I opted for grape juice ice cubes…doesn’t water down your drink ;)