Thursday, May 26, 2011

Crockpot BBQ Ribs

Need a finger lickin’ fall off the bone recipe for ribs?? Do you also want it to be simple and not labor intensive? Well, my friends/readers, this is THE recipe for you!

My Mimi is famous for her ribs. Man, are they delicious! Unfortunately, they are extremely labor intensive! She makes her BBQ sauce from scratch, and then spends the day in the kitchen oven roasting the ribs, the grilling them etc… It’s a PROCESS to say the least.

Well, I happen to LOVE ribs, but on a weeknight, I don’t have the time (or the energy) for anything complicated or labor intensive. Can I get an amen? hah Well, because I love ya’ll so much, I thought I would share a few of the tricks up my sleeve to get delicious weeknight ribs.

Trick numero uno: {Enter: Crockpot}

I know I have talked about it before. Embrace it, people.  The crockpot is your friend! It can make your life SO much easier.  On my lunch break, I rubbed my ribs with a spice rub and cooked them on low in the crockpot for about 5-6 hours while I was at work. I came home to fall off the bone ribs that were fully cooked, so all I had to do was baste them with BBQ sauce and then finish them off on the grill! Dinner was done in 15 minutes! holla!

Trick numero dos: Instead of making homemade BBQ sauce, I “doctor” up my favorite bottled sauce. Friends, there is NO shame in this!

You need to try this method out ASAP. I won’t make ribs any other way! Easy Peasy = my kind of meal! :)

Crockpot BBQ Ribs

For the Ribs:
2.7 pounds of baby back pork ribs
1/2 cup BBQ rub

For the BBQ Sauce:
1 cup BBQ Sauce of Choice
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup yellow mustard
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce

For the Ribs:
Thoroughly coat crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. using your hands, liberally coat the ribs with the dry rub spices on both sides. Place into crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove from crockpot and set aside.

NOTE: I get this question a lot, so I thought I'd address it here... No, you do not add any liquid into the crockpot - doing so will boil the ribs and you don't want that :)

For the BBQ Sauce:
Place all ingredients into a saucepan and stir together well. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium heat. Once sauce is hot, turn heat down to low and keep warm until ready to use.

Finishing Touches:
Spray grill with non-stick cooking spray and heat to medium high heat. Place ribs onto grill (meat side down). Cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip so the rib side is now down. Liberally baste the top (meat side) with BBQ sauce, then close the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip and now baste the rib side (which should be facing up), close lid and cook for 2-3 more minutes.

Flip again and baste the meat side one last time, close lid and cook for 2 more minutes. Flip ONE LAST TIME (I promise) so the already basted meat side is facing down and close lid for 2 more minutes!

Remove from grill and serve hot with additional BBQ sauce! Be sure to have LOTS of papertowels handy... this is MESSY!! :)

Note: the flipping seems complicated, but it's really not! Just a little basting and flipping to caramelized the sauce. It only takes about 10-15 minutes in total.

74 Responses to “Crockpot BBQ Ribs”

Esther T. — March 7, 2013 @ 5:20 pm

Just took these off the grill and had to sample before dinner. They are awesome! Can’t wait for my family to try them. Thanks so much for the great recipe. PS…the grill flipping isn’t really so bad.

Andrea — March 12, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

I am making these for the second time!!! They are so yummy!!! Thank you for posting this recipe!!!

V — April 3, 2013 @ 10:08 am

Have you tried this with the beef ribs?

Amy — April 12, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

Making these right now for dinner tonight. The rub smells amazing!!

Michele — April 17, 2013 @ 9:34 am

I love using my crock pot! I use it every chance I get (which is at least 2-3 times a week). I bought my ribs last night to cook outside but as my luck goes, it is raining. So glad to find your recipe. They look and sound so good. I have put them in the crock pot now. I know my family will enjoy these.

Corey — April 23, 2013 @ 9:23 am

Do you HAVE to finish the ribs on the grill? Will an indoor grill work?

Crockpot fall off the bone ribs! | A Creative Engineer In Nevada — July 8, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

[…] I wish I came up with this idea since the ribs turned out SO good!  Here is the link to the site I used:  http://www.mylifeasamrs.com/2011/05/crockpot-bbq-ribs.html […]

Crock-Pot Ribs With Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce | KW's BBQ Sauce — July 29, 2013 @ 4:43 pm

[…] time-saving cooking tips were gathered from Tina who writes the My Life As A Mrs. blog. In her Crockpot BBQ Ribs blog posting, Tina teaches readers how to use a Crock-Pot to cook weekday ribs. With a busy work […]

Jacquelyn — August 17, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

AAAAAAAA-MAAAZING!! Kudos this by far is way easier then the ways everyone else told me to do them. I put a nice rub on them threw them in my crock for 4 hours on low, then they switched to keep warm which is even lower and cooked for about 6 1/2 hours total… were amazing that way but then just lightly sauced them one time and hubby tossed on grill did each side about 3 mins to get a nice carmalization and a lil char and wham-o paired up with some fresh organic corn on the cob from farmers market… Yeah Buddy!! Was so awesome to throw these in, go to farmers market, went and toured Leni’s Brewery and sampled some beers, came home and 20 mins later was able to eat!! I got the ribs 2 full rack for 4.50 in the quik sell bin at grocery store and corn was $4 for 7 ears… Take that FAMOUS DAVES!! Thank you again for this easy way to do up Amazing Ribs!!

Alyssa — December 9, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

I must say, these are the best ribs I’ve ever made. I made it with a different barbecue sauce that I found and it turned out amazingly! I forgot to add brown sugar to the rub last time, and so just sprinkled some on a couple of hours in. I also cut the salt down the last time I made it for health reasons.
    Thanks so much for sharing!

Crockpot Barbecue Ribs | Real Mom Kitchen — February 19, 2014 @ 8:15 am

[…] Recipe adapted from My Life As A Mrs. […]

Deborah Gavriel — March 3, 2014 @ 12:05 am

Can I use the broiler instead of the grill?

Paula — August 5, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

This is an awesome recipe….. it’s soooo easy… and the result it totally delicious !!!!!!!!!!!!! If we had not had a grill we probably would’ve just put them in the oven for a few minutes to carmelize the sauce !! Thanks for a GREAT recipe !!!!