Thursday, May 19, 2011

Easy Guava & Cheese Pastelitos

Okay, so it’s no secret that I’m a South Florida girl. Born & Raised. Purebred. Okay, I think you get the picture. I grew up in Boca Raton which is about 45 minutes North of Miami. Naturally, due to the cultural influences in the area, I have grown to love Cuban cuisine. Cafe con leche, cuban sandwiches, lechon asada, you name it! I am a FAN.

My co-worker is Cuban – shout out to the lovely Nancita! ;) – and every once in a while she will do a “Cuban Breakfast” all of us to enjoy. Empanadas, Ham Croquettes, Cuban Bread, Cafe con Leche… the works! She introduced me to a cuban delight that I had never tried: The Guava and Cheese Pastelito (aka: Flaky pastries stuffed with guava and a sweet cream cheese mixture). Um, hello new favorite!

Anyhow, I decided that it was time to try making these treats, but by using a few shortcuts:

I found these guava preserves in the jelly section at my local grocery store! Score! Then instead of making pastry dough, which you can certainly do, I just used Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastries. You know what? They were DELICIOUS! Shortcuts rock!

Make these treats this weekend: they are the perfect Saturday breakfast! Enjoy!

Quick note: If you have a cocktail connoisseur of a husband who has all kinds of herb infused simple syrups, be sure he grabs the correct simple syrup out of the fridge if he’s helping you out with these (I had glazed half of the pastries before my nose detected Rosemary in the simple syrup haha). Lesson learned.

Easy Guava & Cheese Pastelitos

Inspired by: 3 Miami Guys
Yields: 18 pastries

1 package of puff pastries (2 sheets), defrosted
1 jar of guava preserves
Simple Syrup

Cream Cheese Filling:
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350º. Cut each pastry sheet into 9 equal sized squares (you'll have 18 in total) using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife. Mix together Cream Cheese filling ingredients using a hand mixer and set aside.

Take each square and scoop 1 tsp cream cheese mixture and 1 tsp guava preserves into the corner (see picture). Fold in half to make a triangle. Brush water along the edge w/ fingertip and then pinch close. Crimp with a fork to make sure it sealed well. Repeat with remaining squares.

Place the pastries on a parchment lined baking sheet about a 3/4 inch apart. Brush with simple syrup. Bake for 15-20 minutes (remove when puffy and golden brown). Note: Oven temps may vary cooking time.

Allow to cool slightly and serve warm.

17 Responses to “Easy Guava & Cheese Pastelitos”

Emily @ NewlyWife — May 19, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

Those look great! I’m currently collecting recipes for a brunch and this one looks perfect. And I’d love to see more Cuban recipes. :)

• Kristina replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!! :)

Mandy — May 19, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

Oh my, those look delicious! I’m definitely going to flag this recipe to try. Thanks for sharing!

Delicious Guava Sweet Cream Cheese Pastries — May 19, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

[…] Perfect delicious looking puff pastries recipe with Guava preserves in the corner and sweet cream cheese filling. The cream cheese filling are made of cream cheese, milk, sugar, and lemon juice. The skins of these pastries are brushed with simple syrup first before put in the oven to bake until golden brown. This recipe can be a great breakfast. Have you decided to make these treats? Owner: Kristina from My Life as a Mrs | Website: link […]

Nancy — May 20, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

YUMMY!!!! Tinita these look great!! Wow, Congrats!! I’m so proud of you. BUT…now You have to let me try them!! LOL

• Kristina replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

OF COURSE!!! I’ll make some for you soon! :)

Cubanito — October 24, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

Most of the recipes online have cream cheese in the pastry. 50 years eating my Cuban grandmother’s Cuban food, eating in Ybor City and Tampa and I have never been served a Guava pastry with cream cheese in it. Still today if you go to an traditional Cuban restaurant or bakery in Tampa the Guava pastries will not have cheese in them. I’ll have to try it this way.

Lisa — September 6, 2012 @ 11:19 am

I grew up in Miami and lived there from 1955 to 1981, when I moved for work.

I absolutely love Cuban food! My favorites are: black beans and rice, fried plantains, cafe con leche, flan, and the guava pastries.

Here in Jacksonville, we only have two Cuban restaurants, they are good but not like Miami – The Magic City!

Julie Hamilton — November 14, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

going to make these for Thanksgiving. I have a neighbor with guava trees and was just give two jars of fresh jam. It will be a hit. Thank you for sharing

Ivett — January 22, 2013 @ 10:04 am

Wow! Tank you for this simple yet AMAZING Recipe!!!! One question, instead of using simple syrup, can I use egg wash sweetened w sugar?

• Tina replied: — January 23rd, 2013 @ 10:36 am

I’m sure that would work fine :)

rita — February 28, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

Hello,
    What do you mean by “simple” syrup? Would that be maple syrup?
    Thanks so much.

Rick — March 23, 2013 @ 8:18 am

I too would like to know what simple syrup is

• Tina replied: — March 23rd, 2013 @ 2:58 pm

Simple syrup is a mixture of equal parts sugar and water… boil the water on the stovetop or in a microwave safe dish, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Let cool & then use. It’s a common ingredient in most cocktails as well!

Lacey — October 6, 2013 @ 6:39 am

I now this is an older post, but I have a mil in Miami that is always making guava preserves for my husband and he never eats it. So I came up with the idea maybe if I put it in puff pastry… which led me here. You gave me all the extra answers to my questions and of course the cream cheese filling recipe, right down to the simple syrup wash. Of course when my husband walked in and I was making these he tasted the preserves and told me those were mango this time, not guava. No matter they were even more delicious. Thank you so much and my father in law thanks you too. Apparently the price of pastels in Miami has gone up quite a bit since I lived there. This was beyond delicious and so easy.

Gilda — February 3, 2014 @ 6:09 pm

So I’m super late to this post BUT… I LOVE/ADORE pastelitos de guayaba y queso!!!
    OMG…
    I was born and raised in Miami and yes, I’m Cuban American. I’ve lived in NY for the past 11 years and load up on these every single time I visit back home… Sooo glad I found this. Now I can indulge myself in NY too.. Thanks! :)

sasha — August 13, 2014 @ 4:30 pm

Publix supermarket,win dixie supermarket… if u want to purchase it for taste before tryibg to make them…just ate 2 love them…