Monday, May 23, 2011

Guacamole

Hello friends! I am back from BlogHerFood. I had an absolute blast in Atlanta with some amazing people and I’m SUPER excited about all my new foodie friends!! I got in late last night so I haven’t had a chance to do my re-cap yet (SLACKER.). I hope to get one posted tonight or tomorrow, but in the meantime I’ll leave you with a little somethin’ somethin':

If you haven’t figured it out already, the hubs and I really dig Mexican food. I mean, no other cuisine has all of our favorite things wrapped up in one: lime juice, garlic, cayenne/jalapeno, cilantro (excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my chin).

Guacamole is such a simple thing to throw together! Dice up some avacado and throw them on a large plate.  Mash the avacado with the bottom of a drinking glass, and then scoop into a bowl.  Stir in your mix-ins (cilantro, lime juice, onion, and pico) and VOILA!

This dip will make the perfect Memorial Day snack /appetizer while you are waiting for the burgers to come off the grill! Feel free to make it your own by changing up the quantities, but this is how the hubs and I like ours!

Note: I put pico de gallo on the ingredient list because, well, I always make the two of these together since they go hand in hand! If you don’t want to make the pico, you can substitute 2 additional tablespoons of red onion, 1-2 roma tomatoes (diced), and a finely diced jalapeno (remove the seeds if you don’t like the heat).

Guacamole

Note: I put pico de gallo on the ingredient list because, well, I always make the two of these together since they go hand in hand! If you don't want to make the pico, you can substitute 2 additional tablespoons of red onion, 1-2 roma tomatoes (diced), and a finely diced jalapeno (remove the seeds if you don't like the heat).

4 Haas Avacados, diced
Juice of 1 Lime
1/3 cup pico de gallo (see note for substitution)
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
Salt to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon

Place avacado chunks on a large dinner plate. Using the bottom of a heavy-bottomed drinking glass, mash the avacados to desired consistency.

Scoop into a bowl, and immediately squeeze lime juice over it and stir (this will help prevent browning). Stir in the cilantro, pico de gallo, and red onion. Add salt to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon).

VOILA, perfectly delicious guacamole!

Serve with tortilla chips (and be careful not to consume the entire bowl yourself!)!

17 Responses to “Guacamole”

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — May 23, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

Yum!! Love guacamole!

• Kristina replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

It’s addicting, right?!

The Mistress of Spices — May 23, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

Your guac looks delicious! And I can’t wait to hear about BlogHer Food!

Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs — May 23, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

Guacamole is one of my favorite things to snack on. I like your ratio of avocado to the other ingredients, and it has such a great vibrant color.

An Alaskan Cooks | Alaska Food & Wine — May 23, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

It’s sometimes tough to find good avacados up here in Alaska, but you can bet I’ll be making guacamole as soon as possible. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Kristina replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

aw that is a BUMMER! Although, you’ve got some amazing Northern flaky white fish that we don’t get down here! :*( We all have our downsides to where we live, don’t we? hehe

Apron Appeal — May 24, 2011 @ 6:34 am

I was wondering where you had been. Had I been smart I would have taken advantage of everyone being gone and NOT posting while at the conference, but I didn’t.

• Kristina replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

I’m back! :) Although, I usually take the weekends off from blogging… a girl’s gotta get a break! hehe

branny — May 24, 2011 @ 7:03 am

So happy to meet you at BHF. I have an avocado waiting to be used on my counter. I am so happy I finally convinced my husband that avocados are a gift from the heavens! I’ve got tons of avocado recipes in my blog, too, if you need more inspiration!

• Kristina replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

I’ll definitely check it out! So nice to meet you as well! :)

Apron Appeal — May 24, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

I want to take the weekends off but I’m wondering if, while I’m new I should be blogging on the weekends because that is when all the big dogs take a break. If I post on the weekend I may actually have a chance of being featured somewhere. ;)

Jazz Rules — May 25, 2011 @ 1:21 am

Looks delicious! Recently I started adding bacon into my guacamole just for the hell of it. Totally takes it to new regions of flavor.

• Kristina replied: — May 27th, 2011 @ 10:36 am

mmm Bacon makes anything better! :)

Cafe Zupas » Blog Archive » celebrate: memorial day — May 25, 2011 @ 8:01 am

[...] Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod (pictured above) Classic Creamy Coleslaw from The Galley Gourmet Guacamole from My Life as a Mrs Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad from The Cooking Photographer Roasted Sweet [...]

Anne S. — June 24, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

Looks so delicious…you could always mash up the avocados in the molcajete that you served the guac in, and save a step!

• Kristina replied: — June 24th, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

if only i wasn’t so messy haha the molcajete just doesn’t have enough room to mash up the amount i want :) hehe

How to Make Your Own Condiments | Yummly — July 31, 2011 @ 11:56 am