Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tres Leches

Please tell me that you all have had Tres Leches before. It is redonkulous. Yes, RE-DONK-U-LOUS (it’s a real word, I promise). Tres leches means cake of ‘three milks': Sweetened Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk, and Heavy Cream. It is super sweet, light, moist, and flat out delicious!

Before I continue, I have a confession to make: I prefer boxed cake to the homemade variety.

Yes you heard me right – I. like. boxed. cake. (Phewf. I feel better after getting that off of my chest). You see, I have YET to meet a homemade cake that holds a candle to the moist deliciousness of boxed cake. Plus it’s just SO easy!

Anyhow, being that I’m a boxed cake kinda gal, this version of tres leches is about as easy as it gets!  Cake mix, canned milk, and homemade whipped cream (sorry folks, I just can’t stoop to the cool whip level).

We made this for Cinco de Wiley last week, and it was a huge hit. You should probably go make this. now.

Tres Leches

Cake:
1 box Pillsbury Yellow Cake Mix
3 eggs
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil

Topping:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk

Whipped Cream:
16 oz heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar (plus more to taste)
Maraschino Cherries

Preheat oven to 350º. Mix cake ingredients together and then pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 34-38 minutes (until a toothpick is inserted into the center and comes out clean when removed). Allow cake to cool completely.

Poke holes into cake with the back of a wooden spoon or chopstick. Mix together sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk until completely combined and pour evenly over cake using a spatula to spread it around.

Using a stad mixer fitted with the wisk attachment (or hand beaters & a large bowl), whisk together whipping dream until stiff peaks form. Add powdered sugar to taste. Spread whipped cream on top of cake.

To serve, cut into 3"x3" pieces and top each piece with a cherry.

12 Responses to “Tres Leches”

Erin — May 10, 2011 @ 8:24 am

I love love love funfetti boked cake mix. I think it’s the most amazing thing ever. Sometimes boxed cake mix is perfection. But I have to say that when it comes to the more specialized cakes like red velvet, carrot cake, or German chocolate cake I prefer homemade.

• Kristina replied: — May 10th, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

true… homemade red velvet always turns out good! Must be all the buttermilk in it! I guess I’m just lazy when it comes to baked goods haha:)

Steph@PlainChicken.com — May 10, 2011 @ 10:07 am

LOVE this version. I love cake mix recipes. SO quick and easy. Looks great. Can’t wait to try it!!

• Kristina replied: — May 12th, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

Enjoy!!!

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit — May 10, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

cake mix is the bomb.com! it’s SO easy, and it makes delish cakes!

• Kristina replied: — May 10th, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

AGREED. :)

Debbie — May 10, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

Please ask Mike if he remembers the first time he made Tres Leches…..

• Kristina replied: — May 12th, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

he remembered!! although, he said YOU made it for him ;) Costa Rica project right?

Peggy — May 11, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

Oh there ain’t no shame in some boxed cake mix! This Tres Leches cake looks super fab and super easy!

Amy — March 24, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

Tinaaaaaaa…boxed cake mix?? :) I couldn’t do it. Make the cake tonight…from scratch. Pioneer Woman style. (I’m not judging you though…just had to give you a hard time.) :)

Christine — May 2, 2012 @ 11:56 am

Thanks for the ease of the boxed cake instead of homemade. Sometimes we just don’t have enough time in the day. I’m going to make this recipe and substitute a little kaluha to spike it just a bit. Saw your orange truffles too. They look awesome as well. Figuring out how I can spike a little since everyone loves me rum balls, they expect it from me. Maybe a little triple sec. Thanks again! Get blog.

Christine — May 2, 2012 @ 11:57 am

great blog, not “get” :-)