Friday, June 17, 2011

Peach White Sangria

Hi friends… sorry for the delay in the hubs’ cocktail Friday post… we were a little occupied welcoming this little face into the world (more to come tomorrow!!):

(Baby Kate)

Okay, on to Cocktail Friday:

Welcome back and Happy Friday, foodies.  Tina and I have a great friend who is amazingly well versed in wine.  He loves to entertain and always has an open bottle of something delicious on the counter top.  While he loves all kinds of the grape, he tends to favor full bodied varietals, especially Italian reds. After spending many evenings with him and indulging in incredible Barolos, Barbarescos and Brunellos, we have become full fledged red wine snobs.  Rarely, do we get excited about a bottle of white wine unless Tina has a hankering for a sweet Muscato or Riesling before dinner with her girlfriends.

Well, since it is summer and everyone is trying to eat a little lighter due to heat and the upcoming beach outings (who wants to eat a burger and put on a bathing suit?!?), I wanted a drink that would accomplish the following:

1. be easy to make
  2. pair well with light fare like fish and salads (and not overpower their flavors)
  3. taste really good

Enter our version of the White Sangria.  Like, the Summer Sangria, I tried to stay true to the essential components (wine, fruit, spirits and sweeteners) and keep the ingredients list to a minimum.  I choose a California Pinot Grigio because it is light with of hints tart apple, peach, citrus and floral blossoms (that’s how Barefoot described it and that sounded like summer to me; further note, the description was right one).  From there, I added ingredients that would accentuate the wine’s flavor profile.  I mixed everything up, dumped in the fruit, gave it a stir, poured it in an ice filled glass, handed it off to Tina.  Her reaction; a beautiful smile and a nod of approval.  It looks like we’re not complete red wine snobs after all.  This drink is so very refreshing, very delicate and not overly sweet, making it very easy to ask for a refill.  If you like a sweeter wine, try a Riesling or even a Spumante for a nice bubbly sipper.

Remember, the Sangria is the casserole of cocktails.  Use what you like, what’s on hand or what’s going in your dinner.  Have fun and stay cool.

CHEERS!

-The Hubs

Peach White Sangria

Yield: 4-6 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

1 (750 ml) bottle of dry white wine (we used Barefoot Pinot Grigio)
1 cup sparkling apple juice
2/3 cup peach schnapps
1/3 cup simple syrup
½ cup vodka
¼ lemon juice
1 green apple, diced or sliced
2 peaches, sliced into thin wedges

Combine the Sangria ingredients in a large pitcher and stir well. Add sliced fruit setting aside a few wedges for garnishing the individual glasses. Refrigerate for a few hours, until chilled.

Pour over ice and garnish with remaining fruit wedges.

14 Responses to “Peach White Sangria”

Lindsey@Lindselicious — June 17, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

I love sangria! Your white one looks super good and has reminded me I need to get some peaches and nectarines while all the fruit is delish!

• Kristina replied: — June 22nd, 2011 @ 11:17 am

Peaches are SO good right now! :)

PolaM — June 19, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Love sangria, and white sangria even more!
    Looks like baby Kate deserve all the attention! Congrats on becoming an Aunt!

• Kristina replied: — June 22nd, 2011 @ 11:17 am

Thanks Pola!

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom — June 19, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

My hubby loves a red sangria but I will have to introduce him to your white version. It’s beautiful.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 20, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

This looks amazing!! I love Sangria! Look at all the fruit!

Sofia — June 21, 2011 @ 11:18 am

She is so precious!! Love her little tiny nose!

Drink…I’ve never had sangria, am I missing out?

• Kristina replied: — June 22nd, 2011 @ 11:16 am

YES… Sangria is UH-MAZING. I’m partial to red sangria myself (since I’m a red wine girl), but this one is really yummy too! i have a red sangria in my recipe archives called “Summer Sangria” – great for entertaining!

Nancy — June 21, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

YUMMY!!! That looks amazing and refreshing!!! Will have to try it soon!! Thanks Hubs and Tina!!!

• Kristina replied: — June 22nd, 2011 @ 11:17 am

We need to have you over for Cocktail Friday Nancita ;)

Sean — July 3, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

I stumbled across your blog looking for drink recipes and i must say… WOW! I have found so many amazing drinks on here to whip up at my 4th of July party tomorrow! Keep them coming PLEASE!!

• thehubs replied: — July 3rd, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

Thanks, Sean. I’m glad you found us and we hope you keep checking out Cocktail Fridays. Every great dinner party should start with a great drink. Tina always delivers on the food so I promise to keep the good drinks coming.

tinkl — February 27, 2012 @ 12:30 am

this look great!!!! lol

Courtney — July 11, 2014 @ 6:53 am

Just made the Peach white Sangria for our family BBQ on the 4th of July! It was totally the hit of the party (I made quadruple your serving). Everyone was asking for the recipe! Thanks!