Friday, July 22, 2011

Chili Lime Margarita

Cocktail Friday is here (and I KNOW we’ve all been looking forward to it)!!! So, without further ado, here is The Hubs:

Happy Friday, folks.  I’m so happy we’re back here again.  I just hope this weekend doesn’t fly by like every other weekend this year (I know, wishful thinking).  So, after reading the news this week, I realize that South Florida is no longer the literal summer hot spot.  It’s brutal outside.  I mean, it’s downright uncomfortable, right now.  I was sweating in the pool last night for crying out loud.  Well, we have to make the best of our sacred weekend time so I thought about how to really beat the heat with an enjoyable summer cocktail.

I started thinking about how all those cultures in hot weather climates always consume spicy food.  It seems like the hottest dishes and peppers come down regions that are situated on or near the equator.  Because I thrive on useless fun facts, I began researching this phenomenon.  I always thought hot and spicy food were for the chilly winter months and cool food was for the melt for face hot summer months.  Well, research proved other wise.  It turns out that chili peppers (most often used in Latin, Indian, Caribbean, Thai cuisine) contains a chemical called capsaicin.  When we consume these spicy chili infused foods, capsaicin causes our bodies to think our core temperature is hotter than it actually is.  Our body responds through vasodilation (hahaha, finally using something from that medical terminology class in college).  That big word means that the body increases blood circulation and directs blood toward the vessels under our skin.  The Result:  our skin gets flush and we sweat BUT we stay cooler!

Margarita Month Installment 4:  The Chili Lime Margarita “fights FIRE with FIRE” in the summer heat.

Disclaimer:  If you Do NOT like a little spicy heat and tingle, than this drink is not for you.  But if you love fresh flavors and a little “burn” in your belly, than there is no better way to enjoy an ice cold cocktail.  This drink is so simple and so well balanced the name sake flavors are unmistakable.  The lime is so light, bright and crisp and the jalapeno infused sweetness slowly warms your palette and tingles your lips.  Each salty, spicy, sweet sip leaves you begging for another.  This beverage is truly worth making by the pitcher because it’s so easy to drink (quickly) in the heat.

Previous Margaritas this month (the list is GROWING!):

It’s HOT outside.  Don’t hide in the A/C.  Challenge the heat with lots of water, sun screen and tall glass of Chili Lime Margarita!

Get sweaty and CHEERS!

-The hubs

Chili Lime Margarita

Yield: 1 cocktail

Prep Time: 35 minutes (simple syrup)

Chili Simple Syrup
1 1/3 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 jalapeno peppers, caps removed, sliced thin

Chili Lime Margarita
2 ½ oz silver tequila
1-1 ½ oz chili simple syrup
1 ½ oz lime juice
½ oz triple sec
Lime, sliced into wedges for garnish

For the Chili Simple Syrup
Combine water and sugar in a sauce pan over medium high heat, stirring the sugar until it dissolves. Add the sliced jalapenos and bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and let jalapeno slices steep for 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve to remove jalapeno slices and seeds. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

For the Chili Lime Margarita:
Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker or glass and shake or stir well. Take 1 small shallow plate and cover the bottom with coarse salt. Rub the edge of the glass with a lime wedge and “rim” the moistened edge in the salt. Fill the glass with cubed ice and pour the drink over the ice. Garnish with a lime.

30 Responses to “Chili Lime Margarita”

Kelly — July 22, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Tina this looks fantastic!! I’ve never thought of adding jalapenos but that is brilliant, love this cocktail! :)

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

it was ALL hubbies idea… he’s genius like that :) hehe

brandi — July 22, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

I love this idea! Can you have one at my house when I get home after work today?

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

if only we lived closer… :(

ShawndaI — July 22, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

I whole-heartedly approve :) We’re going to give the chili syrup a spin this evening!

• Kristina replied: — July 26th, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

i had a feeling you would! haha

FreeSpiritEater — July 23, 2011 @ 3:19 am

I was just drooling over the thought of a lime margarita earlier with a friend and this recipe would totally make my day, yum! Especially in this horrid weather. Thanks for sharing! Great photos =]

Tina@flourtrader — July 23, 2011 @ 7:09 am

This is a neat idea and your disclaimer is very well written.
    It is clear on what to expect in regards to taste and therefore I have bookmarked this recipe. Well done!

• Kristina replied: — July 26th, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

thanks! :)

Laura Britton — July 23, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

This looks delicious! I love Margaritas and I will definitely be trying this one!!

Heather — July 23, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

I love margaritas and jalapenos, and am very intrigued by this recipe! We are growing jalapenos and have some waiting to be used for something, so I am absolutely trying this soon! By the way, we have had Chili Beer before and really like that (it’s a Mexican lager with serranos in it), so I bet this will be similar. Thanks!!

• Kristina replied: — July 26th, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

Chili beer?? sounds delicious!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel — July 23, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

LOVE the touch of the jalapeno pepper in there!! <3

The Mistress of Spices — July 25, 2011 @ 6:18 am

I love spicy cocktails and drinks, as does my hubby! I’ll definitely have to try this one.

Heather K. — July 26, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Coming back to report that we tried your margarita last night, and we both LOVED it! It’s very unique and very fresh. We’ll definitely make these again. Thanks!!

• Kristina replied: — July 26th, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

SO glad you enjoyed!! Thanks for the feedback! :)

Heather K. — July 26, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Here is the website for Chili Beer. They don’t sell it around where we live, but we have friends in Atlanta that buy it for us occasionally. :)

(The website is pretty pitiful, but the beer is great! LOL)

Super Bowl Snackies « Blackbird Ideas — February 5, 2012 @ 9:59 am

[...] CHILI LIME MARGARITAS. Spicy, cool, limey, margartia-y. I’m in. [...]

Deborah — February 18, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

I am sipping on this marg right now and it is DELISH!!! Thanks!

12 Margarita Recipes for National Margarita Day - cook this now — February 20, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

[...] Get the full recipe for these The Classic over at My Life as a Mrs. [...]

Jill — May 10, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

VERY good…Love it! :)

Chasity — June 12, 2012 @ 1:04 am

Excellent! Try rimming the glass with salt mixed with Pico de Gallo (that tangy/spicy chili powder seasoning sold in Mexican markets and typically sprinkled on fresh mango & corn). TOTALLY makes it.

windykitchen — January 19, 2013 @ 7:27 pm

I just made these and they were awesome! I liked the subtle heat and may even add more jalapenos next time!

Feliz Cinco de Mayo! | That Pink House — May 5, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

[...] Source:  Adapted from My Life as a Mrs. [...]

The Novice Chef » 4th of July Round Up! — July 2, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

[...] Chili Lime Margarita [...]

40 Festive! Red + White + Blue Cocktail Recipes | FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking — July 3, 2013 @ 10:37 am

[...] Chili Lime Margarita My Life as a Mrs. [...]

{good eats: cinco de mayo} | The Sweet Escape — November 9, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

[…] 5 Roasted garlic & bacon guacamole   1 Key Lime Raspberry Margarita 2 Pink Margarita 3 Chili Lime Margarita 4 Jalapeno Cilantro Margarita 5 Blood Orange Margarita with Bitters Posted in: GOOD EATS, […]

20 Margarita Recipes to Get You in the Spirit of National Margarita Day |Foodbeast — February 22, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

[…] Recipe: My Life As A Mrs. […]

20 Margarita Recipes to Get You in the Spirit of National Margarita Day | iWantPop.com — February 22, 2014 @ 8:13 pm

[…] Recipe: My Life As A Mrs. […]

danielle — June 13, 2014 @ 6:03 pm

If I can find a few jalapenos in my fridge this is so happening tonight!