Friday, July 8, 2011

Chocolate Margarita

Happy Friday, folks!  It’s been a great week of celebrating my beautiful wife and her quarter century birthday.  Yes, one day is just not enough!   Really, neither is one week or even one month for that matter.  I even baked my first from scratch cake in her honor.  It is a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and strawberry whipped cream filling (maybe she will post it).  Since I promised to post a margarita recipe for the entire month of July and I had fruit filled chocolate desserts on the brain, I concocted a very different and extremely tasty margarita.

Margarita Month Installation 2: the Chocolate Margarita is a grown up dessert in a cup!

Conceptually, I knew this would work.  The silver tequila is slightly spicy with notes of vanilla.  Add in sweet chocolate syrup, toasty coffee flavored Kahlua, silky, creamy half n half and orange liqueur for balance and this drink is crazy good.  It’s a great way to cap an evening filled with great food, friends and fun.

OK, people, I stepped out there on this one and it was well worth it.  Get crazy and get mixing.

CHEERS

Happy Birthday, Tina!  I love you with every ounce I have.

-The Hubs

Chocolate Margarita

1 ¾ oz silver tequila
1 ½ oz orange liqueur
1 oz Kahlua
1 oz half n half
1 ½ TBS chocolate syrup
ice
Oreo cookies

Place Oreo cookies in a sandwich bag and crush. Place crushed Oreo on a small plate. Combine liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker and stir in chocolate syrup. Add ice into shaker and shake well. Moisten cocktail glass lightly and rim with crushed Oreo. Pour into rimmed glass and enjoy.

61 Responses to “Chocolate Margarita”

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar — July 8, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

I don’t normally like margaritas that much but I would DEFINITELY try this one. Buzzed it!

• Kristina replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

Thanks! Chocolate makes my world go ’round :)

Medeja — July 9, 2011 @ 7:25 am

Oh, what a lovely chocolate drink :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 9, 2011 @ 8:01 am

Oh wow, that is my kind of margarita!

susan — July 9, 2011 @ 9:53 am

now your talkin my language! this is so up my alley!

Julia — July 10, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Margaritas + chocolate = love Happy Birthday!

• Kristina replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

thank you Julia!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day — July 10, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

This sounds awesome and would fit perfectly in my hand, right now! I just found you blog, love it! Looking forward to seeing your posts in the future!

~Cassie

• Kristina replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Thanks so much Cassie! Glad you found us!!!

Lilly — July 12, 2011 @ 5:03 am

What a great drink!! Wish my hubby could make it for me =)

TCT tidbits « All I Eat Food! — July 12, 2011 @ 10:09 am

[...] Have you ever tried a chocolate margarita?  Neither have I, but it is now on my to do [...]

natalie (the sweets life) — July 12, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

this blows my mind! must make it soon!

• Kristina replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

haha I was SO skeptical when Mike told me he wanted to make this, but it was AMAZING! :)

Pinchy the Lobster — July 12, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

This recipe is so delicious! Tried it last night and it was soooo good that we had to feature it on this week’s recommended menu.

• Kristina replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed! :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — July 14, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

How fun!! Love margarita’s, and I love chocolate! What a great Hubs!

Tracy — July 22, 2011 @ 3:43 am

Just found your blog through Tasty Kitchen. And this chocolate margarita looks like something I might need to try out on a Friday night! :) Thanks for sharing!

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

Hope you enjoy Tracy!!

Cookin' Cowgirl — July 22, 2011 @ 9:25 am

How sweet that your hubs posted this….and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

Patricia of Dell Cove Spice Co. — August 11, 2011 @ 9:09 am

That sounds completely decadent! Have you thought of adding shaved curls of chocolate instead of the chocolate trianle? Or dusting the top of the margarita with sweetened cocoa powder?

Anna — November 3, 2011 @ 1:08 am

I am SO making this for our next girl’s night! Sounds AMAZING!!!

Anna

Angelia — November 24, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

WOW! I must try this, especially since you state it is amazing!!! Hope you had an amazing birthday! So glad I found your blog!

Heather Marie — November 24, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

I’m not sure about the O.J part of it..I LOVE chocolate but O.J. AND chocolate together? I don’t know..do you really taste the orange juice in the cocktail or is it more chocolaty?

• Kristina replied: — November 28th, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

orange and chocolate go great together – some people love it, some hate it – i happen to love it ;)

Happy Turkey Day! « The Recipe Box — November 24, 2011 @ 11:14 pm

[...] source [...]

Julie — November 25, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Tried this after Thanksgiving Dinner last night……..no bueno!!! :( Folllowed recipe to a T. I really wanted to like it but the orange juice left a very horrible aftertaste. And even without the orange juice it was mediocre.

• Kristina replied: — November 28th, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

aww well not every drink is for everyone… it’s a very unique one – either love it or hate it :)

Jaime — December 14, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

Question – how many people does this recipe serve? I’m looking to serve 15 or so. I want to know how many times I need to double it. :)

• Kristina replied: — December 15th, 2011 @ 8:49 am

the recipe is for 1 cocktail…

Kristen — January 21, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

Drinking this now and it’s definitely interesting. I like it though. It was easy to veganize with some coconut creamer in place of the half & half.

Vera — February 22, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Can I ask you what half and half means? I haven’t heard of that phrase before :O

• Kristina replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

You can buy Half and Half in the grocery store – near the coffee creamer (You can make it too: 1 part milk to 1 part cream)

Vera — February 22, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

I am Dutch so we don’t have that here :( I have to gonna make it myself ;)

• Kristina replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

ohh i see! :) You can just use cream if you’d like to make it easier…

Vera — February 22, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

I will figure it out :P Probably will make this for me and the girls for my 18th birthday party :) Hope that they will love it :D
    Thanks for the answers!!

Tom — February 24, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

Definitely a great sounding drink. More chocolate the better.

Danae — February 28, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

These were OK. Might opt for a chocolate martini for book club. Don’t worry, the tequila will not go to waste.

Pure2raw twins — March 8, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

hell yes! love it

Life:Styled » Cocktail Spotlight: The Chocolate Margarita — March 9, 2012 @ 8:04 am

[...] via: mylifeasamrs Share: (function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if [...]

fun Friday Pinterest Pins for Inspiration — pure2raw — March 9, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

[...] mylifeasamrs.com via Pure2raw on [...]

Elizabeth — April 28, 2012 @ 10:04 am

I don’t think the orange juice is a good idea with milk, won’t they sour together? I like chocolate and orange together but with cream I don’t think it’s a good idea for you health wise. It might make you very sick.

• Tina replied: — May 1st, 2012 @ 8:42 am

it didn’t curdle when we’ve made it… but if you are concerned, you can substitute a splash of orange flavored liquer (such as Grand Marnier)

The Chocolate Lover’s Margarita | magnificent milestones — May 18, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

[...] Photo and recipe via My Life as a Mrs. [...]

Chocolate Margarita | Fussy Food Reviewer — May 25, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

[...] mylifeasamrs.com via Sarah on [...]

Kim of Mo'Betta — July 24, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

My 2 favorite things…chocolate and tequila!!

Sony — September 3, 2012 @ 6:57 am

Hello, i would love to give you a couple of recipes of my own for your Gojee app :D

E-mail me and il give you a list of drinks and how to make them :)

TheGirls@WhimsicallyHomemade — November 2, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know we featuring you in our Favorite Find Fridays post today over at Whimsically Homemade. We’re using one of your pictures and are linking back to you. If that’s a problem let us know and we’ll remove it immediately. Thanks for your great inspiration!

Chocolate Margarita « Smarty Party Recipes — December 24, 2012 @ 8:46 am

[...] You had me at chocolate, Kristina! A chocolatey delight from My Life as a Mrs. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! [...]

Happy National Margarita Day! | MKB The Blog — February 22, 2013 @ 3:32 pm

[...] [...]

Celebrating Coffee with a Kick — February 27, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

[...] My Life as a Mrs’ Chocolate Margarita [...]

Board of the Week – Chocolate Wonderland — April 30, 2013 @ 8:31 pm

[...] on the Wall 2. Healthy, Fudgy Brownie Bites 3. Chocolate Fudge 4. No Bake Chocolate Oreo Cake 5. Chocolate Martini 6. Chocolate Peanut Butter [...]

Courtney — June 8, 2013 @ 8:55 pm

Just found your blog through pinterest … And just tried this cocktail … How wonderful!! Wasn’t sure how the tequila would work with the chocolate, but it totally does. I didn’t even use orange liqueur, b/c I was worried it would be too sweet. It was really rich, but perfect for an after-dinner drink!! Thanks for my new post-grilling weekend “dessert” :o) Cheers!!!!!!!!!!

• Tina replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

yay so glad you are enjoying it! :)

Dana — July 20, 2013 @ 8:11 am

To those asking about orange juice….the recipe calls for orange flavored liquor (ie – Cointreu, Triple Sec etc) not orange juice. That might make a huge difference in taste.

Cindy Aube — September 5, 2013 @ 9:59 pm

I don’t know why people are worried about orange juice – it says Orange Liqueur (such as Cointreau) – I think this sounds FANTASTIC!! I can’t wait to try it and I am not a chocolate person! But I definitely am a Margarita person!

{Entertain} Dessert Table – the key to kays — September 12, 2013 @ 10:30 am

[…] 1.  Chocolate Margaritas […]

Chocolate Margarita - Smarty Had A Party Blog — November 18, 2013 @ 11:41 am

[…] You had me at chocolate, Kristina! A chocolatey delight from My Life as a Mrs. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! […]

Kathy — December 14, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

Wow, this was sweet and alcoholic. I might split this next time. Good over ice cream!

20 Margarita Recipes to Get You in the Spirit of National Margarita Day |Foodbeast — February 22, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

[…] Recipe: My Life As A Mrs. […]

20 Margarita Recipes to Get You in the Spirit of National Margarita Day | iWantPop.com — February 22, 2014 @ 8:14 pm

[…] Recipe: My Life As A Mrs. […]