Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kalamata Olive Tapenade

Excuse me for being MIA this week. My memory card reader died so I couldn’t upload any photos to my computer (UGH!), but I took a trip to Wally World and remedied that one real quick! Then, my 25th birthday was yesterday (Quarter of a century – Yikes!)… we’ve been celebrating for 3 days now haha! Anyhow, I am BACK and I’ve got a DELICIOUS recipe for ya’ll today!

Kalamata Olive Tapenade! Ever had it? It will change your life. I went to a beautiful Bridal shower for a friend last week. It was thrown by none other the the infamous Aunt Kathy.

I’ve talked about her numerous times. Auntie threw me the bridal shower of the century back in 2008 and then my sister in-law’s baby shower a few months ago. Not the mention the 30 other bridal, baby, engagement showers she’s thrown in between! She deserves the hostess of the year award (seriously!).

The woman throws amazing party after amazing party! Gorgeous centerpieces, an incredible appetizer spread, and the most delicious meal you will ever eat! She then tops the night off with an entire dessert table. Yes, a whole table dedicated to DESSERT!!! She makes AMAZING cakes, cookies, cupcakes… you name it, she can do it! :) (Auntie, if you are reading: HI!!!)

Anyhow, back to the bridal shower from last week! Aunt Kathy had the most BEAUTIFUL appetizer spread. She had homemade blue cheese, and spinach dip served with fresh veggies that were cute super long bunched up in multi-level square vases like flowers (LOVED IT!).

My favorite though, was the toasted crostini spread that she had going on! She served them with homemade hummus, bruscetta, and also the MOST incredible homemade kalamata olive tapenade! It was out of this world!

As soon a I got home, I headed straight to google to find a recipe! Found one that looked fabulous and went with it! I’ve had store bought olive tapenade many a times, but for some reason, it never occured to me to make it myself (DUH – food blogger… what is wrong with you! hah).

The beauty of making things yourself is that you can customize them (use your favorite olive… add extra lemon or garlic… add crushed red pepper) to whatever your heart desires!

Let me tell you, this dip was sooo tasty. I ate it with whipped cream cheese on Crostini (another Aunt Kathy trick) and it hit. the. spot. Next up, I want to stuff chicken with it – or throw it in pasta – or spread it over a huge block of Queso blanco!  Hmmm… the possibilities!!!

Okay, I’m drooling. Off I go.

I’ve got a birthday lunch today with work followed by a birthday dinner with the family (this turning 25 thing isn’t so bad after all!!!).

Happy Friday’s Eve, friends!

Kalamata Olive Tapenade

Prep Time: 5-10 minutes

Total Time: 5-10 minutes

Delicious salty and garlic-y Kalamata olive tapenade! Excellent appetizer!

1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Serving Ideas:
Crostini
Cream Cheese
Hummus

Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined well. Serve with Crostini.

Source: All Recipes

30 Responses to “Kalamata Olive Tapenade”

Redneck Princess — July 7, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Mmm…I have never had that before, but it looks delicious, as always :)

• Kristina replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

aww thanks :)

natalie (the sweets life) — July 7, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

happy belated bday! have fun celebrating :)

this looks amazing, i am obsessed with kalamata olives!

• Kristina replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

thanks Natalie!! Oh, if you’re a kalamata girl, you will LOVE this (it’s super fast and easy too… BONUS!)

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom — July 7, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Happy birthday fellow crab (ya know, Cancer zodiac). My b-day was July 2nd and I know what you mean about the celebrating – we’re having our family festivities this weekend. Love your tapenade. My mom’s recipe has anchovies which I didn’t really taste but it’s good to know there’s a wonderful non-anchovie verstion.

• Kristina replied: — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Happy belated birthday to you! :)

Kelly — July 7, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

Ooo Kristina this looks so delicious!! What a appetizer to serve at a party, love this! :)

Kelly — July 7, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

OH and Happy (belated) Birthday!!!! :)

• Kristina replied: — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Thank you Kelly!

Lindsey@Lindselicious — July 7, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

Happy bday! This looks super good- these are my favorite types of meals/snacks.

Lyndsey @ Vanilla Clouds and Lemon Drops — July 8, 2011 @ 12:10 am

Happy Birthday! This looks so delicious and your photos are stunning! Hope you have a great time celebrating!

Jessica — July 8, 2011 @ 12:51 am

Happy Birthday sexy lady!! I hope you had a fabulous 25th birthday! And by the way, this tapenade looks absolutely amazing!

• Kristina replied: — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:48 am

Thanks friend! The birthday festivities just keep on continuing (isn’t that how it’s supposed to go?) haha!

Ashes — July 8, 2011 @ 5:06 am

T, this looks so yummy and I look forward to trying it when I get back from exile :) I was super stoked to find a random little Greek import store on the town square that carried Kalamata olives…I had been looking for them every where cause they are the only olive I like. Miss you cuz! and Aunt Kath, I miss you and your amazing dinner parties!

• Kristina replied: — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:46 am

Ash!! my first comment from the Czech Republic!! yay! hehe miss you cuz… we’ll definitely have a get together involving this tapenade when you get home! love you! :)

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — July 8, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Happy Birthday Tina!! Glad 25 is treating you well. For some reason 25 was my hardest….other than just turning 40 last year :) I think it was because my honey and I weren’t married yet, nor engaged…but we’d been together forever. LOL! 25 felt old to me at the time…but not too much later, he proposed & we married when I was 26 1/2 so it’s all good now!! Maybe you’ve read my love story on my site….you know the adversities we overcame to be together so married 14 years now! :)

Hoe ou continue having a GREAT birthday week!! I’m on vacation with the kids & we are having a BLAST!

• Kristina replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Thanks Denise!! :) 25 turned out to be not so bad after all! :)

Amy — July 8, 2011 @ 9:14 am

Wow! Happy Birthday and it sounds like you have a wonderful Aunt. This recipe looks and sounds great. I am going to try this one. Did you take any pictures of your spread from the shower? I would love to do the veggie tray the way you mentioned! I’m hosting a baby shower for my sister in a couple weeks and it sounds wonderful! Would you mind sharing photos? Your Aunt sounds like my Auntie Kathi! :) Hostess with the Most for sure! Thanks.

• Kristina replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Thanks Amy… i (gasp) forgot my camera that night… but as soon as they put pics up on Facebook I will post a few here for ya’ll to see! :)

The Mistress of Spices — July 11, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Happy birthday fellow Cancer! Homemade tapenade is definitely way better than store-bought…and yours looks great!

• Kristina replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

HAppy birthday to you too!! :)

Katie — July 13, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

First off, happy belated birthday! Second of all–this looks amazing. You had me at “kalamata”! Love these olives and so many others. Can’t wait to make this.

Jackie — July 21, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

This looks so yummy! I want a huge bowl and spoon =)

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

haha i could eat it straight too :)

Amy — September 17, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Just made this for a party tonight. So yummy. I am putting a layer of goat cheese with mine. So many options and super yummy and incredibly easy. Thank you!!

Kalamata Olive Tapenade « Scrumptious and Sumptuous — January 30, 2012 @ 11:51 pm

[…] My Life as a Mrs. Advertisement GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); […]

The Skinny On Savory Cheesecake | We The Eaters — January 25, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

[…] inner part of crust,up to a ¼ inch from the sides, with a prepared kalamata olive spread (or make your own). Stir filling and pour into springform pan, tapping pan carefully on counter to encourage bubbles […]

Nina — March 20, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

I was looking for an easy recipe to make and came across yours. I can’t wait to make it. I normally buy a jar from the food store that’s about the size of a baby food jar, and my family eats it in about a minute.

Thanks for posting!!!!

Home Cooking- Raw Pizza Crust | Mr & Mrs Vegan — April 15, 2013 @ 2:01 am

[…] I also tried remaking the stunning kalamata olive tapendae we ate at Original Sin restaurant as well using the recipe from here. […]

Ciera — April 16, 2014 @ 4:58 pm

How long does this keep?