Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tiramisu

It’s Tuesday which means we all made it through our dreaded Monday’s! hah I don’t know about you, but I think we should have 4 day work weeks and 3 day weekends… brilliant idea right? :) Anyhow, to help you all kick yesterday’s Monday blues in the hiney i thought I’d offer up a sweet treat for today’s recipe:

Tiramisu.

I have wanted to make tiramisu for quite some time, but was a bit intimidated by it. It’s such a fancy dessert that I thought it MUST be super duper complicated.

Plus raw eggs pretty much give me the skeeves.  Pretty much? okay, that was a slight exaggeration… they full on gross me out. As in, I won’t touch them with a 10 foot pole. I have a bit of a salmonella phobia. Ask the hubs. I have to disinfect every. thing. with bleach if we’ve been working with raw chicken in the kitchen.  I even have an electric soap dispenser now so I don’t have to touch anything with my salmonella raw chicken hands. Am I sharing too much?

Hey, we all have our quirks.

Now that I’ve gotten that off of my chest…

I’m happy to tell you that there are now these nifty little things called pasteurized eggs.  {Hi Tina, Welcome to the 21st Century! haha} They heat the eggs to certain temperature to kill off any potential bacteria, without actually cooking the eggs. Pretty darn cool!

Raw egg phobia solved!

Okay, so I have heard amazing things about the Cook’s Illustrated version of Tiramisu; which of course doesn’t surprise me! All of their recipes are nothing short of perfection. I loved Brown Eyed Baker’s idea to substitute Kahlua (the recipe calls for dark rum which packs a little too much punch for me!).  So I went with Kahlua and am mighty glad I did.

It was divine. I took the leftovers to work the next day because, well let’s face it, this food blogging thing isn’t the kindest to my waistline. haha Anyhow, the cake was demolished (we’re talking nothing left, not a drop) in about 5 minutes flat.

That should speak for itself! :)

Tiramisu

Yield: 8-12 servings

Prep Time: 15-20 minutes

Total Time: 25-35 minutes (plus 6-12 hours inactive chilling time)

From Cook’s Illustrated November & December 2007 issue

2-1/2 cups strong brewed coffee, room temperature
1-1/2 Tablespoons instant espresso granules
6-9 tablespoons Kalua Coffee Liquor (may sub dark rum)
6 large egg yolks (I used pasteurized eggs)
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds (24 oz) mascarpone
3/4 cup cold heavy cream
14 ounces (42-60, depending on size) dried ladyfingers (I used Savoiardi brand)
3-1/2 Tablespoons cocoa, preferably Dutch-processed

Mix together coffee, espresso, and 3-4 tablespoons Kahlua (or dark rum) in a baking dish (you want one that you can easily roll lady fingers in) until espresso dissolves. Set aside until ready to use.

In the bowl of a stand mixer (fitted with whisk attachment), beat yolks at low speed until just combined. Next, add in the sugar and salt. Turn up speed to medium-high and beat until pale yellow, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, being sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula a few times.

Add the remaining 3-4 tablespoons Kalhua (or dark rum) and beat at medium speed until just combined, roughlyl 20-30 seconds. Scrape bowl and add mascarpone. Beat at medium speed until no lumps remain (30-45 seconds), again, being sure to scrape down bowl once or twice. Transfer mixture to large bowl and set aside.

In now-empty mixer bowl (not necessay to clean bowl), beat cream at medium speed for about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Increase speed to high and continue to beat until cream forms stiff peaks (another 1-2 minutes longer).

Using a rubber spatula, fold one-third of whipped cream into mascarpone mixture to, and then gently fold in remaining whipped cream until no white streaks remain. Set mascarpone mixture aside.

Working one (or 2) at a time, drop half of ladyfingers into coffee mixture quickly roll, remove and transfer to 13 by 9-inch baking dish (Do not submerge ladyfingers in coffee mixture; entire process should take no longer than 2-3 seconds for each cookie.) Arrange soaked cookies in single layer in baking dish, breaking or trimming ladyfingers as needed to fit into the dish nice and neatly. I had a few cookies left over.

Next, spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers using a spatula to gently spread the mixture all the way to the edges and corners of the dish. Smooth the surface. Place 2 tablespoons cocoa in mesh strainer (or powdered sugar sifter) and dust the cocoa over mascarpone.

Repeat dipping and arrangement of ladyfingers (again, I had a few cookies left over). Gently spread remaining mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers and dust with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa. Wipe edges of dish with dry paper towel. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 to 24 hours. The longer its sits the better it gets! Cut into pieces and serve chilled.

34 Responses to “Tiramisu”

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique — July 12, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Tiramisu is one of my all time favorite desserts! This one looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. :)

Nancy — July 12, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

Looks Amazing and the taste is OUT of this world!!!! I know, I’ve had it… I work with Tina, Lucky ME!!!! Thanks Tina for always thinking of your co-workers!!!

• Kristina replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

Nancy you are the sweetest! :)

Rachel — July 12, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

Looks wonderful! By the way I have the same egg/chicken phobia. I probably wash my hands a million times when I’m cooking, then disinfect everything with Clorox Anywhere.

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

haha yay I’m not the only one! :)

Erin — July 12, 2011 @ 11:56 pm

I stumbled across your blog, and I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely adore it! Bookmarked and everything!

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

thank you so much Erin, such a nice compliment (blush)!

Katie — July 13, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

This looks wonderful. It’s my husbands favorite dessert and I’ve yet to make it!

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

it’s MUCH easier than I thought… give it a try!

Lilly — July 13, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Tina I know what you mean. I am not a big fan of working with raw eggs either. Check out my solution to still make a killer tiramisu!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — July 13, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

This looks awesome! Just got done sanitizing my counters after cutting up some chicken!

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

haha welcome to my world :)

PolaM — July 13, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

Love good tiramisu and yours loos like a great tiramisu!

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar — July 13, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

ooo, I can follow up that delicious looking salad you had on here with this Tiramisu :-D. So yummy looking and definitely buzzed!

Hester aka The Chef Doc — July 13, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

I lurve tiramisu :-) Absolutely love :-) Another way to get over the raw egg yolk thing is to cook it. I usually make a zabaglione for my tiramisu. I whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and rum together. Then, I place that bowl in a double boiler and whisk away until thickened. After the mixture is completely cooled, I mix in the whipped cream/mascarpone mixture :-)

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

genius! great idea (and cheaper than the pasteurized eggs!)

Lindsey@Lindselicious — July 13, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

Wow thats a huge tiramisu! I’m jealous… Raw eggs freak me out too and I spent a day looking around for them. No success, I ended up “pasteurizing” them myself.

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Read Hester’s comment (above)… She puts them in a double boiler and pasteurizes them herself!

Jun — July 15, 2011 @ 2:41 am

It looks perfect!!! I wish I were your co-worker!!!

Deviliciouschef — July 17, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

Tiramasuuuu!!..my favorite!!..looks Yumm!!

Julia from Cafe Lula — July 19, 2011 @ 4:49 am

I didn’t know I even liked tiramisu until I made tiramisu cupcakes the other day but since then I’ve made it my mission to make a proper one. I think this recipe’s going to be the one I try! It looks amazing!

Sarah — July 21, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I’ve been looking for a tiramisu recipe to try! I love the idea of using Kahlua. Can’t wait to try this!

• Kristina replied: — July 22nd, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

enjoy! :)

Curt — July 24, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

My daughter used to live in Italy and she used to send me Tiramisu all the time.

Dianna @ The Kitchen Prep — July 26, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

I know I’m a little late to the party, but I’m a new reader to your blog and, boy, am I glad I wandered over here! {Probably while I was supposed to be “working” on something else, of course. I tend to lose focus…} Anyway! :) Just wanted to say hello! This recipe looks so delish & I see that you and I are kindred “OCD in the kitchen” spirits when it comes to bacterial phobias. Hehe. Looking forward to reading more of your stuff!

SS — August 1, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Awesome recipe! Mind blowing taste! I made thsi for my niece’s 21st birthday and it was a huge huge hit! I loved the process of putting it all together and cannot wait to make it again! Thanks for sharing…I now know how to say mascarpone! ;)

Meals Made Easy: Italian Dinner Edition - GOODEness Gracious — March 11, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

[...] And it wouldn’t be a complete Italian dinner without some Tiramisu! Tina at My Life As A Mrs. doesn’t let you down with her sure-to-please Tiramisu! [...]

Sarah — May 16, 2013 @ 10:57 pm

Looks absolutely delicious. Where can I find Kalua Coffee Liquor? I’ve looked for it in several grocery stores with no results.

• Tina replied: — May 17th, 2013 @ 6:24 am

Kahlua is a popular liqueur — however you have to buy it at a liquor store… They typically don’t sell it at the regular grocery store (unless it has a liquor store attached).

Bettina — July 3, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

What temperature did you use?

• Tina replied: — July 7th, 2013 @ 11:51 am

What do you mean by temperature? Tiramisu is not baked.

Gorgeous Tiramisu | Foods, Drink & Recipes — August 6, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

[…] Read all the details about the recipe on mylifeasamrs.com […]

Sue — February 10, 2014 @ 2:58 pm

Do you have to use dried lady fingers or will regular ones work just as well? I can’t seem to find the dried ones anywhere!!

• Tina replied: — February 11th, 2014 @ 9:23 pm

I would imagine it would be fine to use fresh… i have never tried it so I cannot confirm this for sure. We do not have fresh available here unless I were to make them myself, so I just use the dried ones found in the cookie aisle :)