Monday, July 25, 2011

You know you’re a food blogger when…

• An exciting day of shopping consists purchasing food props/dishes (or in my case this weekend, finding a STEAL of a deal on new decorative kitchen towels to use as your photo back drops):
  • Different colored slats of wood and a tripod have become part of your kitchen “decor”:
  • Your dish cabinet is overflowing (and includes numerous miss-matched dishes):
  • You can never have too many cocktail glasses:
  • Your favorite Christmas gift last year was the “white box” your hubby built for you:
  • You have a collection of notepads all around your kitchen filled with scribbled jibberish (my oh-so organized recipe development method hah):
  • You eat your food when it’s lukewarm (or cold) because getting the “money shot” first  is critical (hah)
  • Going on vacation requires planning and cooking ahead so you can have pre-scheduled posts ready to go.
  • You judge your photography skills by whether or not Foodgawker & Tastespotting accept your photos.
  • You plan your cooking around the times with that have the best natural lighting…
  • Every weekend, your kitchen looks like a bomb went off in it (never taken a picture of this b/c I’m TOO embarassed about what a messy cook I am)!
Anything I’m leaving out?? haha

35 Responses to “You know you’re a food blogger when…”

Cait's Plate — July 25, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

Ahahaha – I loved this post and can COMPLETELY relate :)

jaclyn — July 25, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

haha! i have so many notebooks scattered around the kitchen and living room that are full of my bizarre recipe notes!

i can totally relate to everything you posted, especially the mis-matched dishes :)

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — July 25, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

I can totally relate! My food is always lukewarm and eaten around 4:30 to 5:00 (best lighting!)

Cassie @ Bake Your Day — July 25, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

Totally relate!! Hilarious!

Bev Weidner — July 25, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

Could NOT agree more!

Esp. the eating dinner lukewarm. That’s me, every day.

For me it’s:

“your coffee table is moved next to the window and has a fake wooden tabletop on it…all day.”

Kelsey @ K&K Test Kitchen — July 25, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

I love it! I’ve been contemplating re-staining my kitchen table so it is a better photo backdrop and my boy always gets served first so that he can start eating if he feels like it! :)

Christine (Cook the Story) — July 26, 2011 @ 7:37 am

This is so totally me! Except, we wind up eating so late because of our little guy I’m too hungry and tired to try and get the money shot at night. Instead, I’ve become *superb* at styling leftovers for shoots in the lovely morning light.

michelle — July 26, 2011 @ 7:54 am

LMAO!!!! You and I are kindred spirits! :) I’m the same way!!!! Hey, are there any dish towels left? I may head up that way…. ;)

brandi@BranAppetit — July 26, 2011 @ 9:06 am

love this :) were you spying into my kitchen when you wrote these? :)

emily — July 26, 2011 @ 9:29 am

HA! I loved this. Soooo true. Last year, all I wanted for my birthday was food props.

Kelly — July 26, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

AHHH!! Haha this is sooo SO completely true! You just described me to a T! I even just sent this to my boyfriend to read since he makes fun of me all the time for this stuff :D PS, love the new kitchen towels! xoxo

Joe — July 26, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

ahahaha this is true, really really me, are you describing me? (just kidding)

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar — July 26, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Amen on every bit of that. Loved it!

Curt — July 26, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

Right on every point! In fact, my wife is catching the fever now too. She comes home with different props and staging ideas all the time lately.

I might add; thanks to her, my post images are getting much better!

Dani Katarina — July 26, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

This post was too cute, and SO true!!! haha my boyfriend always cracks a little smile because I too pause before eating to get that perfect shot!! love this :)

what’s exciting is that this post is a look into the future, ill be moving into a new house in September, which can only mean one thing…house/kitchen shopping!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — July 26, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Funny! Never would have known about this 4 months ago, but now I can so relate!

Kay Ecker — July 26, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

I can so relate now!! Lucky that my hubby is understanding with all this like yours is:-). A few months ago I would have thought that people that did this were crazy…well, sometimes I do think I’m crazy for going through all this…lol. Great post!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family — July 26, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

I can relate!!! Never has pattern of material mattered to me before now.

What a fantastic post :)

Home with Mandy — July 26, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

You are so spot on!

Lindsey@Lindselicious — July 26, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

Word! I always feel so guilty that my photos arent improving… a lot of it (I tell myself) is due to the fact that I don’t get home to cook until like almost 8pm. I havent event submitted to Foodgawker/TS yet cause I know what the issues are… One day!!

Lilly — July 26, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

Great post and I am sure most foodies can relate to it. It takes a lot of time and effort to make pretty pics and I still don’t have the hang of it. I don’t have any nice towels or back grounds, simply because I can’t style my food even if my life would depend on it. So I keep things as they are and continue to make my fuzz free food =)

Tina@flourtrader — July 26, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

Food bloggers can never have enough of the styling stuff! Also
    we are the only ones that truly know how many takes you have
    to go through to get a good picture.
    Yes I am in the club and constantly on the lookout for stuff.

veronica gantley — July 26, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

Yeah! Dont forget the one that shows your hand and your nail polish is chipped. Or your dog is in the shot because she wants your cold leftovers more than you! Is there a trick to tastespotting or foodgawker?

Hester aka The Chef Doc — July 26, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

Aww, what a great post. I don’t have half the stuff you’ve got because mainly, my mother has a thing about clutter and while I’d love to stock up on so many things for taking my pictures, she claims the house has enough stuff already :-) I always enjoy reading your posts, Tina!

Michelle O — July 26, 2011 @ 11:18 pm

OMG I was laughing out loud reading this to my boyfriend. He was laughing too. SOOOOOO TRUE. This is my life. haha. Well done. BUZZED.

The Mistress of Spices — July 27, 2011 @ 10:51 am

You are SO right about all of these things…I’m totally guilty as charged! My hubby built me a white box last year too :-) And I am totally jealous of those gorgeous kitchen towels…lucky you! Great post!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — July 27, 2011 @ 11:22 am

LOVE this!!! sooo spot on! I also have the spiral notebooks in the kitchen. And my kitchen cabinets need to be reorganized again due to all the props. :) Love the life of a food blogger though…I’m quite hooked!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — July 27, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

Ha ha! Your post gave me a good laugh. This is so true. My trip pod is part of my kitchen decor too. I have to remind myself to put it away when people come over and even then it never quite makes it.

Kim Bee — July 28, 2011 @ 1:05 am

I love this post! I am pointing to things going I need one of those. I want one of those. I don`t use a tripod, what is wrong with me. I must pull ours out. I don`t have a white box. I am a slacker. *hangs her head and shame and grabs her notebook*

Eva — July 28, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

From one Mrs. to another, your blog is brilliant. Sums up married (with a drink in hand) life perfectly.

Sandra — August 4, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Hilarious and oh so true. Happy to see I’m not the only one!

vanessa — December 6, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

This might be a stupid question, but where can you buy just a few slats of wood like that? I’ve been to home depot and i could only get a huge box.

• Kristina replied: — December 6th, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

My husband works for a wood flooring company… those were just scraps from an old job that he stained and finished – maybe stop by a wood flooring store and see if that have any scraps they are getting rid of… otherwise I have no idea – so sorry!

Mary @ Fit and Fed — December 3, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

Oh yeah! My sweet husband actually did make me a soft box for Christmas last year.

Lunatic Loves These Links | Cravings of a Lunatic — April 30, 2013 @ 2:58 am

[…] Life as a Mrs gave us You know you’re a food blogger when… This made me howl with […]