Monday, August 22, 2011

Easy Cheesy Hot Bean Dip

Happy Monday everyone! It’s an especially happy Monday for me since I have a short work week & I have to say I’m pretty pumped about it. I leave Wednesday afternoon for IFBC Nola! I’ve never been to New Orleans so I’m excited to see what all the hype is about. Feel free to leave any restaraunt / places to see suggestions if you’ve been there! ;)

Anyhow, I have some Cajun / New Orleans fare coming up for ya’ll later this week, but in the mean time I thought I’d leave you will a super easy and super yummy dip recipe:

I’m a dip girl. Well, I’m really an appetizer girl (dips fall into this category). In a perfect world, I’d skip the main meal and just graze of a myriad of appetizers – mmm love!

I first got this recipe from Aunt Kathy (you know the one), and it’s always a huge hit for any party! Cream Cheese, Beans, Salsa, and Cheese. Easy. Peasy. Hot and Cheesy. Absolutely delicious.

The beans used in the orginal recipe are the Bushes Chili Starter beans. Sometimes I’ll sub out some refried beans seasoned with some cumin and other Mexican spices to change it up! Go with your gut people.

Enjoy this hot cheesy delicious dip at your next gathering! Your friends will thank you!

Easy Cheesy Hot Bean Dip

Yield: Serves 6-8

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Note: I often substitute a can of refried beans for the Chili Starter beans. I season them with about a tsp of Cumin and/or some diced green chilies (canned).

1 (8 oz) block of Cream Cheese, softened
1 (15.5 oz) Can of Bushes Chili Starter Beans
1 Jar of Salsa (8-12 oz)
1- 1 1/2 Cups Grated Cheese of Choice (Cheddar, Colby Jack, etc...)

Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9 inch pie plate (or any equal sized oven safe dish) with Non-Stick Cooking Spray. Spread the cream cheese evenly in the bottom of the dish. Next, using the lid of the can, gently drain of the liquid from the beans (do not rinse), and then evenly spread on top of the cream cheese. Pour salsa on top of the beans, using just enough to cover them (about 8-10 oz).

Place into preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes until the edges begin to bubble. Remove from oven, add the shredded cheese (enough to cover the salsa). Place back into oven just long enough to melt the cheese (about 5-8 more minutes). Remove from oven and serve with Tortilla Chips.

Recipe Source: Aunt Kathy

57 Responses to “Easy Cheesy Hot Bean Dip”

Erin — August 22, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Oh my does this sound good! I can’t wait for college football to start up again so that parties with lots of appetizers can permit the making of this!

lindsay — August 22, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

yum! this looks so good!

Tracy — August 22, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

You just can’t be a professional food blogger without a trip to NOLA baby! You are gonna LOVE IT!!!!! You have to try Drago’s in Mid City for their famous Chargrilled Oysters! Also, can’t leave without a trip to Jacque-Imo’s Cafe on Oak Street, worth the wait!!!!

Tracy — August 22, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

Oh and Domilice’s on Annunciation Street is the BEST place to get a po boy, you will doubt me when you walk in the place (dump) but THE BEST!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — August 22, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

YUM! I am also an appetizer girl. In fact, on my girl’s nights, we often just have a whole table of appetizers instead of a real meal! This bean dip sounds fab!

Oh, and as for a NOLA recommendation, you have to get beignets at the famous, Cafe Du Monde.

• Kristina replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

my kind of meal!!!!

Tina@flourtrader — August 22, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

This dip looks wonderful. I like cheese dip and the addition
    of the beans and salsa does sound delicious. Thanks for sharing this one.

Michelle O — August 22, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Just in time for preseason football too. My boyfriend will appreciate this. Totally jealous of your trip to NOLA. I wish I was going to the conference so badly.

mandy schneider — August 22, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Yep I second Cafe Du Monde!!! O Yummmm!!! and of course Acme oyster house but have the Po-Boy…
    have fun!!!!!
    Mandy

• Kristina replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Cafe du Monde is a totally must… i’ve seen the pictures of their beignets & i’m dying for one!

emily — August 22, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

Michael thanks you from the bottom of his heart. This is going down in our house this week for sure. Yum!

• Kristina replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

enjoy!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 22, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Great dip! Going to a party this weekend, that I have to bring an appetizer to. Going to have to seriously consider this one!

Brittany — August 22, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

I actually live in New Orleans! A few places I would recommend are:

Katie’s Restaurant. This is a good place to grab a casual bite in Mid City.
    *http://www.katiesinmidcity.com/index.htm

El Gato Negro. Right by the French Market, this place has good Mexican food, but they have AMAZING mojitos and margaritas!
    *http://elgatonegronola.com/

ANYWHERE on Frenchman is great. Now, I’m talking drinking / music here. You can’t come to New Orleans and not listen to some great live, local music! Try out d.b.a., Three Muses, and Blue Nile. This link will show you the calendar of all the local music:
    *http://www.wwoz.org/new-orleans-community/music-calendar

I really hope you enjoy visiting my home town as much as I LOVE living here!!

Brittany — August 22, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

Oh! And for a really interesting experience, Juan’s Flying Burrito. (We like the Magazine location, not so much the Carrolton one.) This place serves Tex-Mex, and the food is interesting and tasty, but it’s really just a crazy quirky place that my family and friends go to have a good time. Warning: This is grub food! It is NOT fancy or healthy by ANY means, but it’s definitely a fun experience!! Try the Luau Quesadilla, and ask for some Jalapeno Tartar Sauce on the side to dip it in!!!

*http://www.juansflyingburrito.com/

Lindsey@Lindselicious — August 22, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

Whoa this dip is no joke! I need to try this – I am trying to duplicate the bean dip at this place called Salsa and Beer. Their dip is like crack!!

Jessica — August 23, 2011 @ 12:33 am

Uh, YES! PLEASE! I need this now!

• Kristina replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

come on over ;)

Hester aka The Chef Doc — August 23, 2011 @ 3:03 am

Ooh, this dip looks great! Have fun in New Orleans! I can’t wait to hear all about it :-)

Sandra — August 23, 2011 @ 8:12 am

I could totally eat the whole thing!

brandi — August 23, 2011 @ 10:20 am

this looks perfect for football watching :)

have SO much fun!!

• Kristina replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

oh… it is the perfect football party dip! PS- so wish you were going to be at IFBC!

Lauren — August 23, 2011 @ 10:55 am

This dip looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing it. It looks absolutely perfect for football parties.

LizAnderson — August 23, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Pssst — toss in a speck of ground Cinnamon in your bean dip. It adds just a little “what’s so good in this?” without being “Christmasy” in your face. I’ve done it with refried beans, green chilies and Cheeze Whiz, so I’m betting it will add to this recipe, too.

Does Jimmy Buffet still have a Margaritaville in New Orleans? I’ve never been and don’t really care if the food is any good — I’d find a corner to waste away a little time ;-)

PT5 – 9.5.11 | Heather is a Lazy Wife — September 5, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

[...] mylifeasamrs.com via RJJB on [...]

Alicia — September 17, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

Hi! I found your blog via this recipe through pinterest.com. Anyway, I just tried your recipe and I thought I’d let you know how it went! I made two slight variations, I used chunky Hormel chili with beans because my boyfriend is a protein-lover and I also added a layer of canned corn between the chili and salsa. My boyfriend and I loved it, thanks for the inspiration!

Autumn Stephens — October 22, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

Love some dip and apitizers! Thx!!!

Kyndal — October 27, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

making this tonight! :) i am subing with the refried beans… sounds so yummy~ :)

Teddy Bear Day Care – Ypsilanti » Blog Archive » Snack philosophy — December 12, 2011 @ 10:26 am

[...] Hot bean dip with carrots (this got bonus points in our book, as we were able to use the leftovers in quesadillas) [...]

Christmas Pinterest Party | Sarah C. Photography | Knoxville Wedding, Family and Senior Photographer — December 21, 2011 @ 8:32 am

[...] easy cheesy hot bean dip from My Life as a Mrs. was the absolute easiest.  Just open the ingredients and spread them in the pan.  My kinda [...]

Jaren — January 9, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

This sounds great! Try going to Deanie’s Seafood and grab a hurricane at Pat O’s Piano Bar!

Dip-a-palooza: Easy Dip Recipes For Your Super Bowl Party | RecipeLionBlog — January 12, 2012 @ 11:01 am

[...] Easy Cheesy Hot Bean Dip [...]

Marie — January 12, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

I have moved to the Philippines, no Bush’s chili starter here….what could I use to subtitute? We have canned kidney beans and I have been able to get some imported canned hormel chili. Thanks!!

• Marie replied: — January 12th, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

sorry, that should have been “substitute”

Brandy O'leary — January 19, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

This sounds so yummy…

Jennie — February 5, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

I made this today for our family football party. OMG. SO GOOD! I loved this and could not stop eating it. My husband too, who does not particularly like refried beans could not get enough. This dip is replacing 7-layer bean dip as my favorite dip!

I posted a link to this page on my blog. Thanks!

g — February 24, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

this was AWESOME! made it for a potluck at my job, and it was gone within the hour! YUM. thanks for sharing!

Chelsea — March 18, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

Love this dip!! It is great. Will be great for tailgating during football season!

Jane B — March 24, 2012 @ 8:59 am

This is so yummy and best of all, I love it for quick get- togethers….Thank you!

Jen — March 29, 2012 @ 10:51 pm

This is AMAZINGly good!!! I made this when my hubby and I had a night in….we ate the WHOLE dish in about 10 minutes! We LOVE this dip, especially with some sliced jalapenos on top!

Sara @ Saucy Dipper — April 23, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

I’m a dip girl, too! Love it.

2 Quick and Easy Dip Recipes (One HOT, One COLD) for Holiday Entertaining! | One Good Thing by Jillee — May 3, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

[...] Easy Cheesy Hot Bean Dip [...]

Karen — June 16, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Saw this all over pinterest and I repinned it my vacation planning board — YUM. I am also all about the appetizers and dips!

Ashley — July 20, 2012 @ 9:31 pm

I hate salsa and cream cheese, but I may give this a go minus the salsa.

Monica — July 22, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

I made this yesterday and it was delicious! So much that even a friend who doesn’t like bean dip loved it. The only change I made was to the cream cheese. I added a minced scallion and black pepper.
    I will definitely be making this again.Thanks for the recipe.

Sara — September 29, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

This sounds yummy, but I cannot find “Chili Starter Beans”…anything besides refried that you know would sub well?

18 Dip Recipes | Just The Two Of Us — October 21, 2012 @ 1:20 am

[...] out my Pinterest Everything Dip board for even more! Warm Black Bean Dip Chili Cream Cheese Dip Easy Cheesy Hot Bean Dip Roasted Red Pepper Dip Skinny Taco Dip Warm Bean Dip Mississippi Sin Dip Spicy Black Bean [...]

Sarah — December 16, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

My cream cheese curdled, is that normal?

Easy Cheesy Bean Dip « my pinning project — December 27, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

[...] Tina’s post on her Easy Cheesy Bean Dip.  Thanks Tina for a great idea and a great dip!  Super [...]

25 Appetizers — December 28, 2012 @ 11:18 pm

[...] Easy Cheesy Hot Bean Dip from My Life as a Mrs. [...]

Jeni — December 31, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

This looks amazing. I thought it looked so delicious that I directed a link to it to my audience in my daily newsletter!

Lillian @ Elle The Heiress — January 9, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

I made this today for our lunch, but with some changes. My middle child is allergic to legumes, so I separated the recipe into two dishes: one with a crumbled spicy black bean veggie burger and one with chicken. Both of the proteins were frozen before cooking and both dishes turned out great!

Jenifer O'Connor — February 1, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

FYI, I’ve made this by putting in the microwave for 4 minutes, then add the shredded cheese, and add maybe another minute. I like the idea of using actual chili to replace the refried beans, I’m going to try that.

Catholic Woman’s Almanac {CWA} — February 18, 2013 @ 5:43 am

[...] Wandering Around the Web Easy Cheesy Hot Bean Dip [...]

Cheryl — August 15, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

I wonder how this would be with ricotta mixed up with the beans instead of spreading the cream cheese on the bottom. The reason is that some people might not dig deep enough to get all the cream-cheesy goodness at the bottom.

Bethany Clark — January 27, 2014 @ 8:07 pm

I made this dip, and it was a huge hit! The cream cheese makes this delicious! Thank you for this awesome recipe!

Janet Kay — June 28, 2014 @ 11:36 am

I love this—but instead of baking, I just mix it all up in the crock-pot and let it go for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally. I also a generous pinch of cumin–subtle but makes a huge difference!!!