Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricane

Happy Friday friends! You made it to the weekend and in the words of Alan Jackson & Jimmy Buffett, “Pour me something tall and strong – make it a Hurricane before I go insane! It’s only half past 12, but I don’t care; It’s 5 o’clock somewhere!” hah Well, today is the start of IFBC!! YAY! We are thoroughly enjoying our stay in New Orleans! In honor of the Big Easy the hubs decided to whip up a Hurricane:

It’s Friday folks, and while all of you are staring at the clock waiting for the end of the work week, I’m staring out the bottom of an empty cocktail glass here in the Big Easy. Sorry, I know that was mean but it’s hot here and I have to stay hydrated!

New Orleans is rich in culture, cuisine, and libations. We’re having a blast seeing the sights, soaking in the music, and savoring the good eats. But this trip isn’t all pleasure, I decided to do a little business; that business is research and development. I had to come to New Orleans myself and sample the official drink of Marti Gras: the Hurricane.

Let me tell you something, it was worth the 12 hours in the car. Here’s a little history lesson on the Hurricane and how it came to be:

Back in the 1940’s during WWII, there was a limited supply of popular spirits such as Scotch and Whiskey. Distributors required bar owners to purchase as many as 50 cases of the less favorable alcohol (Rum) in order to secure a case of the coveted Scotch.  A bar owner by the name of Pat O’Brien (you may have heard of him), figured out a way to burn up his surplus of Rum and make an easy profit. He created a drink that was real sweet, real boozy, and served it in a tall glass shaped like a hurricane lantern. His ingenuity paid off and the drink soon became a crowd favorite in the French Quarter.

I learned there are many different ways to make a Hurricane. You can check out other versions online and see just how complicated they can get, but I’m not into that sort of thing (and where the HECK do you find Passion Fruit juice anyway?). What the Hurricane boils down to is sweet tropical fruit juice, plenty of rum, and bright red grenadine to get that signature color.

Down in South East Florida, the term hurricane is a dirty word. While we’ve just told Irene to stay away – THIS is the one Hurricane that will always be welcome!

Cheers!

-The Hubs

Holy smokes these are GOOD. A little too good if you know what I mean!  These babies need a warning label – they go down like fruit punch on a hot day… and then the buzz hits ya! Drink with caution ;) Oh, and I still FULLY intend to go grab one of these at the infamous Pat O’briens! -Tina

Hurricane

Yield: 1 cocktail

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

2 oz grenadine
1 ½ oz light (silver) rum
1 ½ oz dark (gold) rum
1 ½ oz orange juice
1 ½ oz pineapple juice
½ oz triple sec
½ oz lime juice

Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker or glass with ice and shake or stir well. In a tall glass, fill with crushed ice and pour drink over ice. Garnish with an orange and a maraschino cherry.

Source: The hubs original

27 Responses to “Hurricane”

Krissy@DaintyChef — August 26, 2011 @ 8:07 am

I have tried the Hurricanes at Pat O’Brien’s and they are dangerously good! Enjoy!

Kim — August 26, 2011 @ 11:53 am

You are in my city! You def. Have to try in at Pat o’s! You can keep the glass as well :-) hope you two have an amazing time….I know it is crazy hot outside though!

Kelly — August 26, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

The perfect cocktail to prepare for this weekend!! The impending hurricane has completely ruined all plans so now I’ll have to whip up some of these cocktails and relax in doors! :)

• Kristina replied: — August 26th, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

stay safe lady & enjoy the drinkable hurricane!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — August 26, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

I love Hurricanes!! They are very dangerous though!

Philo — August 26, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

lOVE RUM DRINKS WILL HAVE TO GIVE IT A TRY….HAVE ONE IN PAT O’BRIENS ON THE DOWLING’S :)

• Kristina replied: — August 26th, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

done ;)

Fran {The Flavorful Fork} — August 26, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Would much rather have this kind of hurricane than the one that is headed our way. Batten down the hatches!

pat sloan — August 26, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

i am going to go get stuff to make these tomorrow! i’m right to the west of Washington DC … we had a earthquake Tues… Hurricane Sat.. I think i need to celebrate!

Rachel (teacher-chef) — August 27, 2011 @ 9:06 am

What beautiful pictures – your drink sounds delicious!! I just enjoyed whipping up my own version of a Hurricane in my house too… we made ours into Jigglers!! Hope everyone stays safe this weekend :-)

Lauren — August 27, 2011 @ 10:17 am

@pat sloan — I hear that! I’m in Baltimore awaiting the arrival of Irene. Between that and the earthquake, we definitely deserve a drink! =)

These are dangerous, but delicious! Very pretty, too.

Kelly — August 27, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

Yum! Perfect for this weekend

Peggy — August 27, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Oh I love love love New Orleans! It’s my favorite city to visit and we always end up having a great time =)

The hurricane is definitely a fave – and the hubs definitely did it justice =)

kita — August 27, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

What a perfect little drink as Im sitting waiting for Irene to hit! haha. This looks great – love the photos and I could really use a great drink right now!

Tres Delicious — August 28, 2011 @ 3:20 am

It’s such a cool and refreshing summer treat.

Katie — August 28, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

It just so happened that I had all the ingredients for this hurricane during Irene… it’s delicious!

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com — August 29, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

My friends & I toasted each other at our anti-Irene party over the weekend with Hurricanes! Great fruity summer cocktail.

Mardi Gras! | Prairie Hive — February 21, 2012 @ 7:03 am

[...] For kicks, it may be fun to have just one New Orleans inspired cocktail sometime after the crafts and baking are done.  The  following recipe for this yummy Hurricane is a from My Life as a Mrs. [...]

Happy Mardi Gras - Munchin with Munchkin — February 21, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

[...] would not be Mardi Gras without a healthy dose of alcohol! Tina from My Life as a Mrs. has a great hurricane recipe and a little history about the famous [...]

Kris Mullen — February 21, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

Kristina, thanks for sharing this hurricane recipe! I had no idea, until now, how the drink came to existence. Gotta love New Orleans and all the delicious food that’s derived from that city.

Speaking of New Orleans, happy Mardi Gras! It wouldn’t be much of a celebration without alcohol! I shared this recipe with my readers in a Mardi Gras recipe round up today. Here’s the link: http://www.munchinwithmunchkin.com/2012/02/21/happy-mardi-gras/

Thanks for sharing!

Leslea Tash — August 14, 2012 @ 11:49 am

Love your photos. I found them on Pinterest and I’m going to use one for my personal Timeline banner on FB if that’s okay with you! If not, just let me know. I’m putting your url on as a credit.

The Distilled Review — August 30, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

This looks delicious!! I’ll have to try it sometime. :-)

thedistilledreview.com

CupCakeDiva — December 24, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

This could go head to head with the one at Patty O’s! Delicious! However I suggest to get it as close to the real thing use Myers dark rum, and a regular light rum.

Cajun Green Chili | A Cedar Spoon — February 12, 2013 @ 9:09 am

[...] Maque Choux by Closet Cooking Gumbo Dip by Annie’s Eats Seafood Gumbo by Running with Tweezers Hurricane by My Life as a Mrs. [...]

Pinned it Tuesday: hurricane cocktails | Unwedded Bliss — February 28, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

[...] Hurricane [...]

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler, Dallas. | 700 Zelda — March 3, 2014 @ 9:27 am

[…] My Life as a Mrs. shares a recipe for the official drink of Mardi Gras, the Hurricane. […]

Sadie Batson — March 3, 2014 @ 9:51 am

We LOVE hurricanes, and are sad we won’t get to indulge in one this year in Nola! We featured your recipe on the 700 Zelda blog today! Check out the feature here: http://700zelda.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/laissez-les-bon-temps-rouler-dallas/