Thursday, August 11, 2011

Key Lime Frozen Yogurt

After yesterday’s hot soup, I thought I’d cool ya’ll off a little bit with today’s recipe!

I heart key lime. I do. My affinity for key lime is only natural, though! Being born, raised, and having never lived outside of my beloved state, I’ve grown up loving key lime pie (along with all things key lime)! Can you blame me? It’s UH-Mazing.

Thus far on the blog, we’ve covered: Individula Key Lime Parfaits, Key Lime Parfait for a Crowd, Garlic Key Lime Dressing (to top fish or salad) – but I’m not stopping there! I have a long list of key lime treats I want to tackle: a traditional key lime pie, key lime bars, key lime cupcakes, key lime cookies, but the one i’ve been wanting to try the MOST was…

Key Lime Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt… I decided to keep it slightly “lighter” by going with the Fro-Yo option:

I know you all are absolutely SHOCKED that I wanted to make a frozen yogurt, huh? It’s not like I love my ice cream / frozen treats or anything. [this is my sarcastic tone, in case you couldn’t tell] ;)

Boy was this a TREAT! And I have to say, this was the EASIEST frozen treat I’ve ever made (SCORE!). 3 ingredients: whisk together and immediately put into your ice cream maker. No stovetop cooking, no waiting for sugar to dissolve… EASY!

To take this treat up a notch to full on “dessert” status, I topped it with a graham cracker crumble (a mix of graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter – baked off and crumbled), and a squirt of canned whipped cream (hello lazy foodie). OH. MY. It was like frozen key lime pie. Decadent, tart, sweet… PERFECTION.

I am in love. (You will be too!)

Key Lime Frozen Yogurt

For the Key Lime Frozen Yogurt:
32 ounces lowfat Vanilla Yogurt
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup key lime juice

For the Graham Cracker Crumble:
6 graham cracker sheets, ground (1 cup of crumbs)
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted

For the Key Lime Frozen Yogurt:
Mix ingredients together and freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions. Serve as soft serve or transfer into an airtight container and freeze until solid.

For the Graham Cracker Crumble:
Preheat oven to 350º. Line a pie plate with foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Mix al ingredients together and press into the greased pie plate. Bake for 5-10 minutes (until beginning to turn golden). Remove from oven and allow to cool to touch. Crumble.

To Assemble:
Top a scoop of the Key Lime Frozen Yogurt with a few tablespoons of the graham cracker crumble, and a dallop of whipped cream. Serve! It's like frozen key lime pie!! IN-SANE.

24 Responses to “Key Lime Frozen Yogurt”

Bev Weidner — August 11, 2011 @ 11:28 am

Why do I want to smear that all over my face? Goodness.

Molly — August 11, 2011 @ 11:29 am

AHHH this sounds amazing! Can I pay you to come to my apartment and make it for me?! Thanks for sharing :) xo

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique — August 11, 2011 @ 11:45 am

I need an ice cream maker! My boyfriend would love this! Key lime is his favorite. And, I love the bowl you have it in, if they are from Crate & Barrel..they are the ones i’ve been eyeing. ;)

• Kristina replied: — August 11th, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

haha good eye… they are from crate and barrel – we got them at the outlet! :)

carly {carlyklock} — August 11, 2011 @ 11:58 am

I have a confession to make. I’ve never tried key lime pie. I promise we can still be friends!

This is such a good idea for fro-yo!

• Kristina replied: — August 11th, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

{GASP} Seriously? Girl, you need to come to FL!

Mom — August 11, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

This looks SO good! Great job on the blog…. the tortilla soup looks absolutely amazing too! Your photography makes it all so appealing too…. way to go :)

• Kristina replied: — August 11th, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

thanks madre! :)

Nancy — August 11, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

YUMMY!!!! My mouth is watering!!!

natalie (the sweets life) — August 11, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

no matter how much of a foodie i become, i’ll always love whipped cream from the can! i majorly approve of this dessert :)

Frozen yogut | Hatcarl — August 11, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

[…] My Life as a Mrs. » Key Lime Frozen Yogurt […]

Emma — August 11, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

This looks amazing, after recently getting an ice cream maker with my kitchenaid, I’m looking for recipes :) can’t wait to make it. I love your blog and you have great recipes :)

LizAndrsn — August 11, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

Do you know Monica of “Lick the Bowl Good?” She did her version of KLP On A Stick yesterday! Find her at http://lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/

I think you two have much in common!

Jackie — August 11, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

Okay, YUM! I love tart yogurt… Gonna give this a go :)

Mrs. Puma — August 11, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

I was just thinking about making key lime ice cream next week, this is perfect! Look delicious & I’m glad you shared a lighter recipe for it!

Heather Wetzel — August 11, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

Okay you really made my day with this one. Years ago my husband and I were walking through a quaint little town. I’m not an ice cream/yogurt lover but there was something about KEY LIME that I couldn’t resist. It was HEAVEN in a cup. That was the first and last time, as i’ve not found it anywhere since 8(…..Now I can’t wait til tomorrow so I can head to the market and get the ingredients. My quest is finally over Taksa mychet.

The Redneck Princess — August 12, 2011 @ 1:32 am

looks totally delicious!!!

Parsley Sage — August 13, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

That sounds and looks amazing! Love the graham cracker crumble :) Buzzed

Hester aka The Chef Doc — August 13, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Three ingredients? Yes, please! I didn’t realize it was easy to make fro-yo with an ice cream maker. Bear with me because I’m new to the ice cream maker game, haha :-) This frozen yogurt looks great and now you’ve put a lot of ideas into my head as to what I can do with that ancient, no-electricity-needed machine ;-)

Lindsey@Lindselicious — August 13, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

I love key lime and I love how simple this recipe is! The graham cracker crumbs to top it off sound super delish too! Thats my favorite mix in at Cold Stone!

Kim Bee — August 13, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

Yummy! Looks delicious.

Carolyn — August 15, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

What a fantastic flavour for froyo! Great idea.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 15, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Key lime pie is a favorite around here! Turning it into ice cream sounds like a great idea!

Yolanda — February 19, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I bought key limes to make key lime cheesecake but of course less calories dessert always sounds better. It’s done and sitting in my freezer as I type. I added 1/4 tsp of guar gum to keep ice crystals from forming. Have you used this before?