Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bacon Egg and Swiss Soufflets

“Souffle”. Yes, I know those French words can be a little bit scary. Well, friends, you need not be afraid of this particular souffle… it’s actually SUPER easy. SO easy (& delicious) that I made these 2 days in a row. Yes. Two days in a row! Sunday for breakfast, and Monday for dinner. That’s extremely RARE for me… I have a hard time cooking things twice in one month, let alone twice in 2 days! They. were. that. good.

You might recognize these little beauts from the breakfast menu at Panera Bread. I thoroughly enjoyed one of them at a recent visit and thought – hey, I bet I could re-create these little treats! With a little googling and finding the method used by Todd Wilbur (The Top Secret Restaurant Recipes guy), i swapped out the ingredients and made mine with bacon, onion, and swiss…

The were incredible! And EASY… did I mention how easy they were? ;) I think these would be great for a brunch party, or bridal/baby shower. They are delicious, look fancier than they actually are, and you can make them ahead and re-heat them! Make different variations using your favoirte quiche ingrediets for reference: Spinach, Mushroom, or even Crab! Whatever floats your boat.

Bacon Egg and Swiss Soufflets

Yield: 4 egg souffles

Prep Time: 10-15 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 35-45 minutes

Perfect for a brunch: double the recipe and make 8 soufflets at a time (EASY)! They look way more fancy than they actually are!

4 slices thick cut bacon
1 container of Pillsbury Croissants
2 tablespoons flour, for dusting
5 eggs, divided
4 tablespoons half and half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup swiss cheese, divided
1/3 cup onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon shredded parmesan

Place bacon on a microwave safe plate between paper towels (as in plate, 2-3 paper towels, bacon, topped with another paper towel). Microwave on high 7 minutes. Bacon should be nice and crispy. Allow to cool to touch, then crumble and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 4 oven-safe ramekins with non-stick cooking spray. Lay the croissants out on a floured surface (do not separate into triangles). Pinch all the seams together. Lightly dust the top with more flour. Roll into a large square (the rolling will help seal the seems). Using a pizza wheel (or sharp knife) cut into 4 equal size squares. Carefully lay one square into each of the ramekins, using your fingers to press them into the base (the egdes of the square with fall out of the ramekin). Set aside.

In a microwave safe dish (I like to use my 4 cup pyrex glass measuring cup), Beat 4 of the eggs with the half and half, salt and pepper. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the swiss cheese, the onion, bacon crumbles, and parmesan cheese. Microwave on high in 30 second increments (stirring in bewteen) until a very runny scrambled egg consistency. It took me about 3 1/2-4 times (older microwaves may take longer... just look for the consistency).

Place an equal amount of the egg mixture into each of the ramekins and top with a tablespoon or so of the swiss cheese. Fold the edges of the croissant over on top of the egg mixture (it won't cover the whole thing, you just want the croissants IN the ramekin, not OUT). Beat remaining egg and brush the tops of the croissant and souffle with it. I find it easier to just pour a little in each one and then use a pastry brush to spread it around. Place ramekins onto a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffy.

Serve hot. You may remove them from the ramekins or serve them in them. Either way, these are tasty little treats!

Adapted from Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Restaraunt Recipes 2

29 Responses to “Bacon Egg and Swiss Soufflets”

Steve @ The Black Peppercorn — September 28, 2011 @ 11:39 am

Looks great! I have never been that good at soufflets but these are too good to pass up. I love anything with bacon!

• Kristina replied: — September 28th, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

when a microwave is involved in the process – you KNOW its easy (I was quite skeptical at first!)

natalie (the sweets life) — September 28, 2011 @ 11:53 am

perfect bfast or brunch dish!…and I even already have the ramekins :)

• Kristina replied: — September 28th, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

SOOO easy… you’ve GOT to try them!

Chaaron (senseandnonsense) — September 28, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Those look amazing! I have always wanted to recreate those soufflets at home! I think these will be dinner for tomorrow night. Yum!

Susie — September 28, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

These look seriously good! I’m going to have to try them, and I love the pictures, yours are always so cute! I also love having breakfast type food for dinner, and this one would be perfect!

• Kristina replied: — September 28th, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

breakfast for dinner is THE best! :)

Gloria — September 28, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

Where was this recipe labor day weekend when I was preparing breakfast with a huge hangover!!! Thanks Kristina definitely going to try this recipe ASAP. It seems perfect for the day after Thanksgiving (cooking for the whole family with a well deserved hangover)! BTW the contents of the glass got my attention they got me thinking that a bellini or a mimosa will be great with this recipe!!!

Patricia Comolli — September 28, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

These look so good! Hubby is at grocery store at this moment just called to have him pick up the items needed to make this . thanks for sharing….

• Kristina replied: — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

*Like* hope you enjoyed!

lindsay — September 29, 2011 @ 9:56 am

yum yum yum!! these look awesome! we are having friends over for brunch and football this weekend….these will be perfect!

Tanya - Three Square Meals — September 29, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

I crave the artichoke souffle at Panera so I will have to try your delicious looking version!

Sandra — September 29, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

This time of year we need lots of bake ahead and reheat recipes. Especially when they’re this yummy. And you know ever since I read that hilarious post of yours about buying props, I can’t look at a striped kitchen towel witout laughing. And buying it!

Kelly — September 29, 2011 @ 9:17 pm

These look so delicious! I just got some brand new ramekins and have been looking for a recipe to use them, these look like a winner! xoxo

Anna — September 30, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

As a mom, I always look for ways to reinvent dishes and make sure my kids think they are a whole new dishes but are actually recycled from leftovers. I wouldn’t want anything go to waste. I think this recipe is perfect…I can use leftover bacon, ham, hotdogs, even veggies! Excited me wants to start cooking!

• Kristina replied: — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

yep! You can mix in pretty much anything! :)

carly {carlyklock} — October 3, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

Yum, girl! Gotta love the dish that presents well but is a cinch to prepare. :)

Meredith — August 11, 2012 @ 9:52 am

OMG just made these for breakfast! They turned out amazing! No need for brunch anymore at Panera Bread! Thanks for the recipe, will defintely be making them again!

Jennifer — September 30, 2012 @ 7:46 pm

I hosted a baby shower brunch today and made these for everyone. They loved them! I was intimidated at first by the word souffle, but you convinced me they would be easy so I gave them a try. Glad I did! Thanks for posting :)

• Tina replied: — October 1st, 2012 @ 7:58 am

how funny… I was seriously planning on creating another version (maybe spinach & mushroom) of these this week!!! Glad everyone enjoyed the recipe! Thanks for the feedback!!

Jenna — January 7, 2013 @ 2:41 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! Was very similar to the Panera breads recipe and also very easy!

Diane — January 16, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

What size ramiken did you use??

Gabrielle @ Primped in Pittsburgh — January 27, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

I think we have the same taste in food because you have re-made almost everything I like when eating out! :)

Kathrine — August 6, 2013 @ 11:53 am

I just discovered this via Pinterest – it was fabulous! I don’t have ramekins, so I just used my muffin pan. Instead of cutting the dough into 4 squares, I made 12. Otherwise, I did everything exactly the same. My 7 year old declared that these were better than Panera Bread’s version. Thank you so much for sharing this!

• Tina replied: — August 6th, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

SO happy to hear your family enjoyed it! :)

nichole — February 24, 2014 @ 10:17 am

I made these but the inside wasn’t as “runny” as it should have been. Advice?

Sharon — June 8, 2014 @ 12:30 pm

My son loves Panera’s soufflés. These are great! They turned out SO good that they are in the oven this morning as I type this. Thank you!

• Tina replied: — June 13th, 2014 @ 8:56 am

Aww! SO glad he is enjoying them!!!

Tina — October 26, 2014 @ 11:34 am

I’ve seen a few versions of this recipe and have not yet tried to make them. The eggs in the Panera soufflé are so very light and fluffy (I think that is what makes them so fantastic). I guess I’m surprised you would not have to use a mixer or blender or some other means to whip the eggs into a frenzy! By just using a whisk they will come out just as good?