Monday, September 26, 2011

Pumpkin Spiced Beignets with Chocolate Dipping Sauce

Dear Pumpkin,

Hello there old friend! I’ve been missing you! I really don’t think it’s fair that you are only allowed to come around between the months of September and November. If it were up to me, I’d ask that you stick around all year long. Unfortunatley, seasonal fruits and vegetable choices are not up to me… but I apologize on behalf of the seasonal baking authorities! ;) Welcome back. I look forward to all of the recipes to come that will highlight you this Fall season!

Don’t be a stranger,

The Mrs.

My old buddy pumpkin is back with a vengeance! What better recipe to start with than a pumpkin beignets!!! I’ve been DYING to make these babies and am SO glad I finally did! These little puffs of goodness are the perfect introduction to fall!

Why the chocolate sauce? Um… why NOT?! I have to say, the chocolate addition was an excellent choice. It took this over. the. top.┬áChocolate and pumpkin are the new chocolate and peanut butter.

Yep.

Welcome back Fall and Welcome back Pumpkin! Enjoy, friends!

Pumpkin Spiced Beignets with Chocolate Dipping Sauce

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
Canola oil, for frying
powdered sugar, for serving

For the Chocolate Sauce:
4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup fat free half and half
3 ounces bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the Pumpkin Spiced Beignets:
In a small bowl, stir yeast into warm water; let stand for 5 minutes.

Mix together pumpkin puree, sugar, heavy cream, hot water, egg, shortening, pumpkin spice and salt in a large bowl. Add flour and then stir in yeast mixture. Mix dough until just combined. Allow it to rest in bowl, covered with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Pre-heat about 3 inches of canola oil to 350┬░F in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Using a small cookie dough scoop, carefully drop balls of dough into the hot oil. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 3 to 6 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Dust with powdered sugar (don't be shy!). Enjoy HOT.

For the Chocolate Sauce:
In a saucepan over medium high heat, heat butter, brown sugar and half and half until hot . Add chopped chocolate, cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Add powdered sugar to desired sweetness. I used about 1 cup. You can add more or less depending on your preference. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Serve warm.

16 Responses to “Pumpkin Spiced Beignets with Chocolate Dipping Sauce”

Maria — September 26, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Love pumpkin season! I These look amazing!

• Kristina replied: — September 27th, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Thanks Maria!

Emily — September 26, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

I love beignets and I love pumpkin so I imagine these would be awesome. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Rachel — September 26, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Looks awesome!

Erin — September 26, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

I would love these for Breakfast tomorrow. Now to lure someone into making them for me so I’m not the one waking up earlier… hmm that’ll be tough when the only other living thing in my apt is the cat. I’ll make these happen one way or another, I just might have to wait until the weekend. Oh and you should totally make your own pumpkin puree and freeze it, that way you can have pumpkin year round! That’s what my dad does :-)

lisa — September 27, 2011 @ 8:34 am

they look amazing! on a side note, what color polish are you sporting in these pics? =)

• Kristina replied: — September 27th, 2011 @ 8:52 am

It’s Sole Mate by Essie… it’s a really deep purple – looks almost black in the photo, but in daylight it’s dark purple :)

brandi — September 27, 2011 @ 9:54 am

um yes! what a great idea! love the chocolate sauce with them, too.

Mary — September 27, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

Just discovered your blog, and I wish I had discovered it sooner! Can’t wait to try this recipe, and all the others very soon :)

• Kristina replied: — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

aw thanks! glad you found me! Hope you enjoy!

Katie — September 27, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Oh…my…good…gracious. Those sound INSANELY good! I love pumpkin ANYTHING, and paired with chocolate? Killer idea!

• Kristina replied: — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

thanks Katie!!!

Sara — September 27, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

Oh man, pumpkin is THE reason I look forward to Fall! These looks fantastic and dipped in chocolate…wow! :)

LizAnderson — September 27, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

OK — so what’s the decision: pumpkin shortage (part III) or enough to go around, but the manufacturer’s like to fake a shortage to increase demand?

Perhaps the world will never know — but maybe you know other Bloggers who do.

• Kristina replied: — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

I haven’t had any trouble yet… Everytime I go I grab a few cans just to be safe, but they seem to keep re-stocking it. Maybe I’m the only Flordian on the pumpkin craze right now hah

Erika — March 17, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

Had ordered the beignet mix from New Oleans you inspired me to add the sweet potatoe pie mix I had left over in my freezer made it with your chocolate sauce awesomee!!!!