Friday, September 2, 2011
Reader Request: Kitchen Essentials (Part 2)
Thanks for joining me for Round Two of Kitchen Essentials! I got some great feed-back with Part One… and I loved hearing some of your favorite kitchen tools! I decided for Round 2, I’d write about kitchen tools I DON’T like.
I know, I know it’s Friday – where is the cocktail Friday post?! Well, hubs is down in Key West this weekend for a fishing trip/bachelor party for one of his best friends so I DO have a cocktail – I just have to photograph it later for ya’ll and I’ll have it up later this evening. Expect it to be girly – really girly! 😉
**NOTE: please take everything I say in this post with a grain of salt, as this topic is COMPLETELY subjective! These are my own personal opinions based off of my own experience!**
First off: I TOTALLY missed two of my favorite kitchen essentials that CANNOT go unnamed:
- CrockPot!!!! DUH (how’d I miss it?!) I have this one and LOVE it! Nothing like coming home to a ready to eat one-pot wonder meal!
- Automatic Soap dispenser: I’m a bit OCD about raw chicken and eggs… I’ve told you this before – it’s not new knews 😉 Anyhow, this sopa dispenser is the BOMB. Seriously. I can be working with chicken and have soap to wash my hands with without touching anything! LOVE. IT. This is an absolute essential in my kitchen.
Okay, now the Things I registered for that I NEVER/HARDLY use(d):
- Salad Spinner: Some people swear by them, I however find it to be a waste of space!! I use the ol’ throw a few paper towels in the bottom of a bowl trick & let my lettuce drain that way. I do know that this tool is a necessity for Kale Chips (something I’ve wanted to try – so yay! I’ll get a use out of this baby. hah)
- Toaster Oven: I ended up selling mine and bought a regular old pop-up toaster! The darn thing took up serious counter space… and it took SO long to toast anything. I am thrilled with my cheapy pop-up toaster & I use my oven when I need to re-heat things other than toast/bagels. Problem solved.
- Electric Juicer: I registered for an electric juicer & hardly ever pull it out. To me, it’s more of a hastle to clean, dry, and put away than it’s worth…
- I ended up buying a handheld reamer for juicing that fits right in my drawer. Fast to use and easy to clean. The funny thing is that hubs and I use a LOT of citrus juice (you’d think the electric would be better for us)… but this hand held baby seems to do the trick for us!
- Tea Kettle: yah, for me this is another waste of space item. Don’t get all mad, tea drinkers! I’m a coffee gal, and don’t drink a lot of tea so this isn’t really a necessity for me. When I need hot water – I use my microwave (SO much faster)! Don’t act like you don’t do it too 😉
Things that we didn’t bother registering for (again this is TOTALLY personal preference):
- We opted out of Fine China, Silverwear, and Crystal Drinkware: We are casual people… Fine Dining /China isn’t really our thing. Is it beautiful? Absolutely. But it’s not for me. We love to entertain, but I prefer it to be in a casual setting, with a warm, welcoming feeling. I am way too uptight about things, and I would have a HEART ATTACK if I (or one of my guests) broke a fancy China dish that cost an arm and a leg! So we decided against it and registered for a stonewear set of dishes (that we use for “nicer” occasions). Then we bought an “everyday white” set for our daily use dishes from the crate and barrel outlet (12 place settings for under $100 – no heart attacks if one of those babies breaks! haha).
- Crystal Keepsakes: Candlesticks, candy dishes, picture frames, etc… TOO gauddy for me. I’m not into shiney crystal stuff (call me crazy, but i’m not!). I’m more of a homey/rustic mixed with traditional Pottery Barn type. Crystal doesn’t fit in with that 😉
So, what are things that you registered for that you don’t use??? Or what did you opt to skip?