Monday, November 7, 2011

Apple, Bacon, and Gouda Pizza

So this is another one of those recipes I’d been wanting to try from that list I posted the last week:

I’ve been following Jessica’s blog, How Sweet It Is for some time now, and it’s probably (dare I say it) my favorite food blog out there! yup. The girl posts some seriously drool worthy recipes… and she’s freaking hilarious. If you haven’t read her blog, what are you waiting for? You’ll fall in love with her instantly (I’ll admit it, I totally have a blog crush on the girl).  Oh and don’t forget to wish her a happy birthday today! ;)

Anyhow, back to her glorious pizza creation: Apples, bacon, gouda, sage… hello perfect harmony of fall flavors! Is this pizza as amazing as it sounds? Well, my response to eating it was as follows:

Enough said.

I made a few minimal changes to the recipe because A. I’m too lazy to make my own pizza dough -and- B. The hubs, as you already know, doesn’t get down with whole wheat pizza dough anything.  His response when I tried to talk him into honey-wheat crust (as if adding the word honey would convince him)? And I quote, “Who needs honey wheat when you can have honey white?!!”. haha Hopeless cause…

I also include instructions for baking on a pizza stone (which is the preferred method in our household), but if you don’t have a pizza stone, don’t fret! You can substitute a baking sheet (pre-heat it like you would a stone) and bake the pizza on it (Note: the cook time may be a bit longer).

Okay, okay… enough talking about it! Add this pizza to your meal rotation this week (you should probably make it for dinner tonight)! Just sayin… You’ll be SO glad that you did!

Apple, Bacon, and Gouda Pizza

1 pound of pizza dough (homemade or bought fresh from the deli)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 small red onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into squares
1 large Honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
7 ounce round of gouda cheese, grated
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
7-8 sage leaves, chiffonaded
1 tablespoon honey
salt and pepper
cornmeal

Preheat oven to 450º F with pizza stone in the oven (preheat baking pan if you don't have a pizza stone). In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium high heat. Saute onions with a little salt a pepper for 4-5 minutes to allow them to soften and begin to golden. Add the garlic and cook for one additional minute. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.

Place bacon pieces on a paper towel lined plate in an even layer. Microwave on high for 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 minutes (until pretty crisp). While the bacon is crisping, Hand stretch (or roll if you prefer a thinner crust) the dough into and oblong shape. Sprinkle some cornmeal on the pizza stone (or preheated baking sheet), carefully place the dough on the hot stone and bake for 2-3 minutes just to get a good par-bake on it. Remove from oven using a pizza peel.

Mix 1 tablespoon honey with 1 tablespoon olive oil and brush over entire pizza crust. Layer on half of the gouda followed by half of the apples. Then add the remainder of the gouda and then apples. Last, top with parmesan, bacon, and sage. Bake for another 12-15 minutes (until cheese is nice and melted and the crust is golden and crisp).

Cut into slices (or squares) and serve hot. Prepare to have your mind BLOWN.

Slightly Adapted from: How Sweet It Is

29 Responses to “Apple, Bacon, and Gouda Pizza”

nicole {sweet peony} — November 7, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

okayyyyyyyy i’m convinced. didn’t take much ;)

oh and my husband is constantly fighting me on the whole wheat issue too. why are men so difficult & resistant to change??!

• Kristina replied: — November 8th, 2011 @ 10:17 am

haha i wish i knew ;) I think it’s a mental thing… they hear whole wheat and think “cardboard” immediately! hah

Carrie@ Bakeaholic Mama — November 7, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

I want this NOW… my mouth is watering.

Bev Weidner — November 7, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

I’m freaking out.

Ericka @ The Sweet Life — November 7, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

Yup, next on my list. I’ve been having fun with new kinds of pizzas lately and LOVING them! Glad you suggested!

• Kristina replied: — November 8th, 2011 @ 10:17 am

you HAVE to try… it’s my new favorite pizza right now (and very FALL-ish)! :)

LizAnderson — November 7, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

Psst — King Arthur Flour has 100% White Whole Wheat flour. Really!

Now, my family is anti-whole wheat everthing, too. I get around this by using the White Whole Wheat for at least 50% of the flour content in everything (I mix a vat and keep it in the pantry) and no one is the wizer.

Another tip? Since I’m the only person who does the shopping, cooking,planning and dishes, what I want goes. There are some tasty whole grain/whole wheat products that don’t go down like cinder blocks — you just have to try them. Long ago I instituted the rule of he who complains cooks next. Which explains why I get to do it all, no?

• Kristina replied: — November 8th, 2011 @ 10:18 am

ooo I should totally do that (hope hubs isn’t reading this right now) haha…

Chels R. — November 7, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

That looks so delicious! I’m wishing I had some Gouda in the fridge right now because I would be making this!

• Kristina replied: — November 8th, 2011 @ 10:18 am

This pizza has totally gotten me on a Gouda kick… i’m LOVING it right now! :)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — November 7, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

YuuUM! This looks great. Love the combination of flavors, I definitely need to make homemade pizza more often and do more creative toppings like this–you’ve inspired me!

• Kristina replied: — November 8th, 2011 @ 10:19 am

glad to help! ;) Hope you enjoy!

Alison — November 7, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

Love both you blogging gals! I’ll add this one to the list of “must try” recipes!

• Kristina replied: — November 8th, 2011 @ 10:19 am

awwww thanks!! (blush)

Danielle — November 8, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

I made this on Sunday!!! I follow the both of you ladies!!! It was amazing the next day as well!! I almost liked it better the next day!! Something about left over Za!! :o)

brandi — November 9, 2011 @ 10:34 am

i was drooling over this recipe, too :) it looks awesome!

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:39 am

make it, girl!

lindsay — November 9, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

okay, this looks amazing!! i must try asap!

Samantha — November 10, 2011 @ 9:56 am

hahah! a blog crush. :) my mouth is watering over the 2nd and 3rd pictures. The onions in the 3rd look awesome! I’m ready for lunch at….10am :)

Beth Anne — November 11, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

OH my WORD this was delicious!!! =) I used cinnamon to sprinkle over it to finish it off. =) FABULOUS!!

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:39 am

ooo nice touch!

Shannon — November 22, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I just made my first apple pizza the other night and loved it! Yours sounds delicious (although I’d use turkey bacon) because I’m obsessed with gouda (especially smoked)! Love your website! :)

Apple, Bacon, and Gouda Pizza « mommysmenu — January 12, 2012 @ 6:14 am

[...] adapted from My Life as a Mrs who found it via How Sweet It [...]

Jackie Thompson — February 17, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

Hi, I’ve just found your blog and I’ve enjoyed reading some of your posts. This pizza looks delicious! Lucky for me I have apples. I have gouda. AND I have bacon in the fridge… This just might be lunch tomorrow:)

Green Apple, Turkey Bacon & Gouda Sandwich + Wiped | Corrie Anne — June 17, 2012 @ 1:22 am

[...] I want to make this apple bacon gouda pizza next!! Those flavors are so good [...]

Lisa Henderson — August 12, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

When do you add the sauted onions and garlic?

Apple, Bacon, and Gouda Pizza « The Pink Gourmet — August 13, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

[...] source [...]

Natalie — November 17, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

We have an annual apple festival with a group of friends where we make all apple recipes. I added this as our appetizer this year and YES everyone’s mind was blown. Thank you for sharing this creatively delicious pizza. It will be a regular at the apple festival, and any other festive gathering I host.
    We used the wheat dough from Trader Joes and everyone went nuts over it. Combined with the honey and baked in parmesan it was crazy good. Nice work! I’ll be checking back for more goodies.

Day 10: Apple-Onion-Salami-Zucchini-Gouda Pizza | New Decade. New 30-Day Challenge. — March 11, 2013 @ 11:44 am

[...] wheat crust (a departure from my usual white flour dough recipe) and was inspired by this “Apple, Bacon, and Gouda” pizza recipe. (The dough recipe makes enough for two pizzas and is easily [...]