Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cheesy Garlic and Onion Stuffed Mushrooms

It’s November which means the next two months will be filled with holiday party after holiday party. For us, Thanksgiving will kick off the festivities followed by a work Luau, 4 or 5 Christmas Parties, actual Christmas, my cousin’s wedding weekend, and finally New Years!

Phewf! I’m exhausted just THINKING about it! hah January will be here in the blink of an eye!! It’s no wonder this time of year always seems to be a blurr! Anyhow, with all these events coming up, I’m desperately needing to add to my arsenal of holiday-worthy appetizers. So today I start on that mission:

Stuffed mushrooms have long been a favorite of mine, and I decided it was time to make some of my own! Most recipes have bacon, sausage, or crab in them, but I was just feeling some good ol’ cheesy garlic and onion mushrooms (making these a great vegetarian option)!

A little googling and I came across a good foundation for my recipe on AllRecipes. Add a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and voila! Cheesy, Creamy, Garlicky, and Onion stuffed mushrooms topped with (your favorite and mine)… PANKO!

Addicting? Yes. These stuffed mushrooms are sure to be a hit! I’ll be making these again and again… and you probably should too! ;)

Question: What are your favorite holiday appetizers?!

Cheesy Garlic and Onion Stuffed Mushrooms

Yield: 20 mushrooms

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25-30 minutes

Total Time: 35-40 minutes

16 ounces button mushrooms (about 20)
2 medium sized cloves garlic (or 3 small), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 teaspoons Panko bread crumbs, divided
chopped parsley, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp towel and carefully remove stems. Place de-stemmed mushroom caps upside down on baking sheet (the hole facing up). Place mushroom stems, onion, & garlic in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until just combined (you can hand-chop or if you don't have a food processor).

Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to a non-stick skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the mushroom mixture to the hot pan and cook down for 4 to 5 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.

Remove skillet from heat and stir in cream cheese, parmesan, and seasonings (salt, pepper, and cayenne). Stir until mixture is combined well. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of filling into each mushroom cap and then top each one with 1/4 teaspoon Panko breadcrumbs.

Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes (until warmed through). Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve!

Adapted from: All Recipes

27 Responses to “Cheesy Garlic and Onion Stuffed Mushrooms”

natalie (the sweets life) — November 8, 2011 @ 11:08 am

ahh you can’t go wrong with stuffed mushrooms! I have a spicy and a mexican version on my site and I love both!! Other favorite holiday appetizers include these baked southwestern egg rolls (http://www.thesweetslife.com/2010/12/baked-southwestern-egg-rolls.html) and savory cheesecakes like this one (http://www.thesweetslife.com/2011/08/greek-cheesecake.html). I love parties this time of year simply because it means so many yummy appetizers!! :)

• Kristina replied: — November 9th, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

oo those sound delish!

Gloria — November 8, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Looks so easy and so delicious! I love mushrooms and if they are stuffed so much better! For my favorite appetizer I would have to say spinach and artichoke dip. Still living in Puerto Rico I’ve never been in a house that has that in a party so I guess I’ll have to learn to prepare it myself.

Thanks for the recipe LOVE the Cayenne Pepper in the ingredients list!!!!

• Kristina replied: — November 9th, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

they are super easy… give them a shot! :)

Bev Weidner — November 8, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

AB.SO.LUTE.LY.

nicole {sweet peony} — November 8, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

oh yum! these are perfect holiday appetizers :) as for my favorite, i just love everything about holiday appetizers & don’t even know where to start to pick a favorite! thanks for sharing tina!

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:38 am

agreed. I just love appetizers period (can’t choose a fav)! Christmas is my favorite with all of the parties with tons of hor devours! YUM!

Krissy@DaintyChef — November 8, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

These look like an amazing addition to any holiday party, yum!

Anna — November 9, 2011 @ 2:16 am

I am committed to cooking healthier dishes the coming year. Why not start early, right? Might as well start with delicious and healthy recipes for Thanksgiving. Thanks for posting this mushroom dish just in time. More power!

Tanya - Three Square Meals — November 9, 2011 @ 5:46 am

I am in love with stuffed mushrooms! Your version looks delicious and has the perfect ingredients…garlic and cream cheese. Thank you.

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:37 am

thanks!

mom — November 9, 2011 @ 7:03 am

These look SO good!

Christin — November 9, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Your mushrooms look delicious! I don’t think I can pick a favorite appetizer, I love them all. Anything with cheese is always good.

• Kristina replied: — November 9th, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

cheese is ALWAYS good ;)

The Feed — November 9, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

Love this post – perfect for a dinner party! Got to you via Foodgawker. We are a new food platform – Check us out and submit your work!

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:37 am

I’ll def check it out – thanks :)

Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms 3 Ways | Taste Station Blog — November 11, 2011 @ 12:14 am

[...] Cheesy Garlicky Stuffed Mushrooms [...]

Stephanie — November 18, 2011 @ 9:11 am

My favourite is festive ranch rollups. Fairly simple but so yum. It involves tortillas, cream cheese, some finely chopped veggies and ranch seasoning. And they go really fast!

• Kristina replied: — November 19th, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

sounds yummy!!

101 Thanksgiving Recipes | How Sweet It Is — November 19, 2011 @ 7:37 am

[...] Cheesy Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms [...]

Thanksgiving Delectable Dishes « Life Extravaganza — November 23, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

[...] Cheesy Garlic and Onion Stuffed Mushrooms [...]

chica4068 — February 2, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

this is a GREAT recipe and if you want to cut the calories try it with fat free cream cheese and i have also added parmesan and ramano cheese but this aint cutting the calories!

Stuffed Mushrooms — August 18, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

[...] [...]

Lisa in NY — December 28, 2012 @ 10:51 pm

Made this for New Year’s last year and everyone loved them so much I am making again! Happy 2013!

Vaishali — March 13, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

Hi..i tried them….they were nice but one problem the mushrooms were leaving water after baking them.please advice??

Thanks

Corrine — October 7, 2013 @ 8:36 pm

I can’t wait to make these for a Thanksgiving appetizer this upcoming weekend! My fiance is very allergic to most seafood so as much as I would love to have some crab in there too, it’s out of the question. These are the perfect substitution and cheese and garlic..yum! As for my favourite appie..i love them all. Especially anything with a kick or something or dips. Dips of any sort are my weakness!

Samir Dave — December 10, 2013 @ 2:43 am