Friday, November 11, 2011

Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita

Hey friends and thanks for joining me for another Friday at the bar. Tina loves Confections of a Foodie Bride and she forwarded me a link of her beautiful Cranberry Margarita the other day. It sounds to me like Shawnda may love margaritas as much as Tina. Well, I have to thank her for the inspiration (as if I need a reason to present another Margarita recipe). Thank you Foodie Bride and believe me, Tina thanks you too!

Sorry, Cinco de Mayo, you can’t be the only Holiday synonymous with the Margarita; now thanks to this recipe, Thanksgiving can be too! I have to say, this is probably my favorite margarita to date (which says a lot considering we did an entire month of Margaritas around here).

The color of this margarita is absolutely beautiful. This little delight is perfectly balanced; sweet up front but that soft tart finish lingers at the end of every sip. Plus, it has tequila and fresh citrus in there and what drink isn’t awesome with that combination.

Look, I hear you, wine goes great with Thanksgiving dinner. And beer goes better with the big football game.  But a margarita ALWAYS makes people happy when gathered. This drink will supply you with a great reason to Give Thanks.
Happy Holidays and CHEERS!

The Hubs

Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita

For the Cranberry Pomegranate Syrup:
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
zest of 1 orange

For the Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita:
3 oz cranberry pomegranate syrup
2 oz tequila (gold or silver)
1 oz triple sec
1 oz fresh lime juice

For the Cranberry Pomegranate Syrup:
Combine ingredients in a sauce pan that has a fitted lid over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar has dissolved. Cover sauce pan with lid (stir occasionally, making sure it doesn't boil over). Once the cranberries burst, bring the heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender (or allow to cool and carefully blend in a blender or food processor for 30 seconds). Pour syrup through a fine strainer into an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to one week

For the Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita:
Combine ingredients in a mixing glass or cocktail shaker and stir or shake well. Fill glass with crushed ice and pour drink over ice.

For the Overachievers:
Prior to filling your glass, take two small shallow plates and pour a few ounces of water one plate and cover the bottom of another plate in coarse sugar (sugar in the raw). Lightly moisten edge of glass in water filled plate and then “rim” the moistened glass edge in the coarse sugar. Pour in your ice and drink and look like a pro! Garnish with a skewered cranberries!

28 Responses to “Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita”

brandi — November 11, 2011 @ 10:32 am

gorgeous color! this is perfect for the holidays

Kathryn — November 11, 2011 @ 11:33 am

I’d like a pint of this right now!

(Don’t worry, it’s early evening here…)

• Kristina replied: — November 11th, 2011 @ 11:39 am

it’s 5 o’clock somewhere ;)

Shawnda — November 11, 2011 @ 11:52 am

It’s totally true, I love margaritas as much as Tina.

Looking forward to trying out your Pom version tonight :)

• Kristina replied: — November 11th, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

enjoy it, girl! :)

Kelsey — November 11, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

These would be a great addition to a holiday cocktail party! So pretty and I bet they are so delicious too!

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:32 am

they ARE… it’s my FAVORITE cocktail that Mike has made to. date. (the Apple Cider Sangria comes in second!)

Michelle @ Blogitness — November 11, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

This looks great! I’ve just starting searching for cocktails for an upcoming holiday party I am having, I may have to add this to my list!

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:32 am

do it… you won’t regret it!

Cassie — November 11, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

My husband will love this (of course, so will I!) Can’t wait to try it!

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:33 am

you’ll LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I promise. I made hubs mix up another batch of the cran-pom syrup already… i could drink that stuff!

Stephanie — November 11, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

Your cocktail recipes have inspired me to start building up a liquor cabinet. WE usually just have rye, rum and vodka. Need much, much more now :)

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:32 am

do. it. ;)

Sandra — November 12, 2011 @ 7:01 am

I love your recipes! We get stuck in a rut with the same old drinks and it’s time to get past that. The color in this margarita is so perfect for the holidays. The drink is perfect for whenever it’s 5’o’clock somewhere. Cheers!

Nichole — November 12, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Stephanie, from Where Are My Supermom Boots, sent me over…she said I’d love your blog and she was right.
    And that drink looks amazing!

• Kristina replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 9:33 am

aww well, WELCOME! (thanks Stephanie!)

ANna — November 17, 2011 @ 1:45 am

Love the color! Very feminine! Let us call on the girls for an all girls’ cocktail party!This is a must try!

101 Thanksgiving Recipes | How Sweet It Is — November 19, 2011 @ 8:02 am

[…] Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita […]

Life of a Doctor's Wife — November 21, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

I just made the cranberry/pomegranate syrup. I am totally serving these and the Cranberry Pomegranate spritzers on Thanksgiving!

• Kristina replied: — November 22nd, 2011 @ 9:04 am

Hope you enjoy!!!!! If you like Margaritas… you should try a cran-pom margarita too if you have any syrup left-over (our recipe uses the same syrup)… :)

Jeanene — November 23, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

I sent your link to my friend who wanted a cocktail for her “fall” inspired dinner party. They were delicious!

• Kristina replied: — November 28th, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

so glad you enjoyed!

Mexican-Themed Christmas Fiesta | — December 23, 2011 @ 9:04 am

[…] start the party out, I served Cranberry Pomegranate Margaritas using a recipe I found on the blog, My Life as a Mrs. Potent, but […]

Cranberry & Pomegranate Margaritas « Eat Love Repeat — December 28, 2011 @ 12:42 am

[…] Adapted from My Life as a Mrs.  GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); GA_googleAddAttr("LangId", […]

Amanda — December 28, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

How many servings is this recipe for? It looks wonderful!

Barb — March 8, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

I’m having a hard time finding fresh cranberries this time of year, any suggestions? I want to try this recipe for a party this weekend!

Frankie C — December 19, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

Cheers to Mike for this mix, and thanks Tina, for sharing. This recipe was a SMASHING SUCCESS at my holiday party, and is now considered ‘vintage’ around the holidays. The color …perfect – and the sugar in the raw… Who’s thirsty?! Now, I’ll get back to my search for the next ‘classic’ appetizer.

Celebrate Thirsty Thursday With A Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita | stupidDOPE.com | Music, Fashion, Travel, Art & More! — October 3, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

[…] come in all kinds of flavors and can be served up either frosty or straight up. This recipe for a Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita is a great way to turn the Margarita up a […]