Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Crispy Onion Straws

Okay, people you are in luck today… you are getting a two-for (2-for-1) today! Why? Well, these onion straws are not just a component of my Green Bean Casserole… they can stand on their own (and deserve a post of their own as well)!! They are that good.

These babies can be used as a topping for casseroles, burgers, and even salads! OR, better yet, you can serve them as a killer appetizer on game day (accompanied by my absolute favorite Ranch Dressing, of course). The fellas will LOVE you.

On another note: this is a seriously economical appetizer… one onion makes a TON of onion straws – it’s kind of crazy how it seems to “grow”. One onion will serve a crowd of hungry men (and women). SCORE.

I really have nothing more to say to you. These onion straws speak for themselves (“eat me”).

I’ll leave you with this, hubs and I ate about 1/2  a batch while frying them up last night (true story). Totally spoiled our dinner. We *might* have just eaten onion straws for dinner… haha

Yah, pretty much cancelled out my spin class last night (oh, well – it was totally worth it)…

My new motto: “When life gives you onions… make onion straws.” They will change your life.

True Story.

Crispy Onion Straws

Yield: 6 cups onion straws

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 - 20 minutes

Total Time: 25 - 30 minutes

1 large red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced (i like to use my mandolin)
1 1/2 cups lowfat buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
canola oil for frying
additional salt

Preheat oil in a deep pot (or fryer if you have one) to 350°. Add onions and buttermilk to a large bowl and toss until combined. In a second bowl, mix together flour, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne.

In small batches, take the buttermilk coated onions and dredge in the seasoned flour (shaking to remove excess), and fry for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 minutes on each side (or until golden). Place on a paper towel line platter and sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt. Repeat until all onions are golden and crisp.

Serve with Garlic Ranch Dressing (or ketchup).

41 Responses to “Crispy Onion Straws”

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — November 22, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

Oh yum. I love little thin crispy onions like this with a passion that is almost scary. As in, taking fistfuls and packing them into my mouth. Kinda hot.

• Kristina replied: — November 22nd, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

you and me both. :)

Jane — November 22, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

These look amazing! Yum!

Cassie — November 22, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

Who needs green bean casserole when you can just eat crispy onion straws for every meal. Delicious!

• Kristina replied: — November 22nd, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

amen.

Rhonda — November 22, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

This is going on my MUST TRY list :)

Mom — November 22, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

ok – seriously people these are the best onion straws ever! It’s amazing how many Tina got from one onion! These are SO good…try them :)

Sarah — November 22, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

OH…
    MY…
    WORD…

You have been elevated to Blog Goddess Extraordinaire in my world. I will be forever be indebted to you for posting this amazing recipe! Thank you for making my world a better place! XOXO

• Kristina replied: — November 22nd, 2011 @ 5:18 pm

and you just became my favorite follower ;) haha

Jeff — November 23, 2011 @ 1:04 am

Blog Goddess Extraordinaire? There’s just no competing with comments like that!
    Anyways… Great recipe! All I want is a pile of those served on a steak or in a burger.. *drool* Great recipe!

• Kristina replied: — November 23rd, 2011 @ 10:02 am

haha yah Sarah totally won on that one! :) These would be AWESOME on a steak… great idea!

Jessica Lynn — November 23, 2011 @ 3:54 am

Well shoot! I just bought a container of “those other crispy onions.” Shoooot! I’m saving this and I will make this later! It looks amazing!

Melissa A. — November 25, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

I made the casserole with a large batch of the onion straws. I have a suggestion, though…could you please add a disclaimer to this recipe that when making them one needs to don battle armor to fend off the hordes (or even just a couple of teenagers) to preserve enough of the onion straws for the casserole? While I nibbled at them myself, I was just doing quality control. However, the rest of the family liked them so much that I feared for my life if I got between them and the pan. So, yeah…we enjoyed this recipe a lot. Thank you.

• Kristina replied: — November 28th, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

hahaha they are ADDICTING. SOO glad you and your family loved them :)

Katie — November 27, 2011 @ 11:43 am

WOW–these sound and look amazing! I can’t wait to give this onion straw recipe a try!!!

Raj — December 4, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

I am going to try it ,visit rajhotspottumblr.com or face book rajsarin for my cooking

Mary Elizabeth Rawl — December 4, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

So happy I came across this recipe; my nephew and I was having a discussion of what is better, blooming onion or onion straws. He had never eaten straws so I will be making a believer out of him!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — December 12, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Oh you have just changed my world forever!! Can’t wait to make these!!! :)

Michelle — January 9, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

WOW, these look Awesome! Can’t wait to try them out. Thank goodness for Tasty Kitchen, where I found your blog. I am new to blogging and always looking for new one to follow!

cindy — July 25, 2012 @ 11:24 pm

These are so yummy. Does anyone have a sugestion for making ahead and storing. They got soggy in the trudge.

135 Recipes for Football Season | How Sweet It Is — September 1, 2012 @ 9:15 am

[...] crispy onion straws [...]

Crockpot BBQ Beer Pulled Pork Tacos with Crispy Onion Straws and Mango Salsa. (and birthday stuff.) » A Bowl Full Of Blogs — September 20, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

[...] Ingredients: 1 (3.5-pound) pork shoulder roast (mine was bone-in) 1 tablespoon onion powder 1 tablespoon smoked paprika 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 12 ounces of beer 32 ounces of barbecue sauce + additional for drizzling 12 small flour or corn tortillas 4-6 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese 1 batch of crispy onion straws [...]

Feed Me: BBQ Beer Pulled Pork Tacos « BeholdaHoneybee — September 26, 2012 @ 4:06 am

[...] 1 (3.5-pound) pork shoulder roast (mine was bone-in) 1 tablespoon onion powder 1 tablespoon smoked paprika 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 12 ounces of beer 32 ounces of barbecue sauce + additional for drizzling 12 small flour or corn tortillas 4-6 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese 1 batch of crispy onion straws [...]

Melody — October 19, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

Do you think a gluten free flour could be substituted to make these? Ive been needing these for my green bean casserole. They sound wonderful!

• Tina replied: — October 19th, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

I’ve never tried it, but I don’t see why not… let me know how it goes! :)

Step it up: The Green Bean Casserole - Santa Rosa Original Farmers Market — November 19, 2012 @ 9:21 am

[...] food blogger’s version uses fried    and they sound really [...]

Camille — November 21, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

I’m making these now for your green bean casserole in the morning to take for thanksgiving lunch!! First batch turned out awesome!!! I was a little nervous they wouldn’t turn out right… But I nailed it, thanks for sharing, Happy Thanksgiving!!

Angela H. — November 22, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for an excellent recipe! I made these today for Thanksgiving and they were perfect. I have tried making homemade onions before, but they weren’t crispy and were very greasy. I followed your recipe to the letter and made the best darn green bean casserole. I honestly don’t think I’ll ever buy canned onions again. :-)

Where Have I BEEN?! And a Delectable Green Bean Casserole Recipe! | littleveggietreasures — December 2, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

[...] my gluten-free sister!) 1 cup vegetable broth 1 cup half and half (obviously vegan) 1/2 batch of homemade onion rings (found a great recipe on this [...]

Nicole — January 5, 2013 @ 1:39 am

So glad I found this recipe, I love getting these when I eat out, but since I rarely do that anymore it is great to be able to make them at home. Will try soon.

Cheri — February 14, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

Since today is not only Valentines Day but also my hubby’s birthday,these have got to be added to tonight’s menu! They will be fantastic topping his favorite steak with herbed butter, and a baked potato with sauteed brussel sprouts to round it out! Thanks for a great recipe to add to my Sweetheart’s plate of favs!

G Morrow — February 20, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

Hi there.

Thanks for a wonderful recipe. I lucked out that this was this first one I checked when I was looking for this sort of thing, since they turned out perfectly. One question though — how much canola oil should I use in the pot for frying? I may have erred on the conservative side (not that the the straws still didn’t turn out okay).

All the best and have a good day.
    G Morrow

tdsacomic.com

Bruce — February 22, 2013 @ 11:54 am

These are great, especially dipped in BBQ sauce

judith — March 2, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

these are amazing. i had to make a secind batch for dinner bc i ate all the “testers”. ty

chass — April 25, 2013 @ 3:00 pm

They have these on a flatbread at a restaurant I go to, with pulled pork and bbq sauce.its amazing and now I can make them at home thanks!!

Poshepoche — April 27, 2013 @ 6:36 am

Surely that’s not 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS salt??????? ~ that sounds an awful lotta salt!

Kim — May 8, 2013 @ 9:18 am

They came out absolutely delicious and so easy! I actually had to sprinkle a little salt on the finished onions. Thankssss !!

mary — October 2, 2013 @ 11:36 am

Any chance anyone has tried oven frying…I just don’t deep fry anything.

Rachel H. — May 6, 2014 @ 8:48 pm

I LOVE me some onion straws!! For a different and SUPER DELICIOUS twist, sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese over the onion straws while they’re still hot. It makes for an extraordinary taste combination!Like we needed yet another reason to make them addictive!

amy — September 28, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

I made these tonight along with the spicy ranch. Both were amazing! I ended up splitting the ranch into 2 bowls and only added the cayenne to one. Also you weren’t kidding about how much this makes! I cut the onion in half and after mixing, I did the same with the flour mix to save for another day. Do the onion straws store at all? Cuz I would love some on my salad tomorrow…

• Tina replied: — September 29th, 2014 @ 9:19 am

Typically what I do is refrigerate the leftovers in a ziplock bag, then when I want to use them again — spread in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and warm in the oven at 350ºF until they crisp back up (doesn’t take very long!)