Friday, November 4, 2011

Spiced Apple Cider Sangria

Happy Friday foodies and Happy November! I can’t believe this year is nearly passed us by. While it may mean tax season is around the corner (there’s a reason to make a drink), it also means the Holidays are here.

Tina and I always joke about how we would have been a great Spanish couple. We LOVE Latin cuisine, spicy peppers, cilantro and lime and when it comes to cocktails, our favorite choices are either a margarita or sangria. We also happen to LOVE the Fall season. This week, I wanted to infuse one love with another.

I’d like to introduce the Spiced Apple Cider Sangria. Simple, flavorful, and full of everything thing that screams Fall. The sweet apple cider is perfectly spiced with the flavors of Autumn. When coupled with the warmth of the brandy and the earthy, dry flavor of the wine, this drink makes you want to bundle up and sit around the fireplace with this drink.

Do yourself a flavor and make this drink. It’s AWESOME. Then bookmark this recipe and revisit it for your Thanksgiving dinner. It’s a perfect drink for family and friends during the Holidays.

The Holidays are here and that is reason enough to raise your glass.

CHEERS!

The Hubs

Spiced Apple Cider Sangria

Yield: 6 1/2 cups

Apple Cider Sangria filled with hints of orange, cinnamon, and clove... Perfect for Fall! Doubling this recipe is highly recommended!

For the Spiced Apple Cider:
2 cups apple cider (the real stuff - opaque in color & found in the refrigerator section)
1/3 cup sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
2 orange slices (rounds)

For the Spiced Apple Cider Sangria:
1 bottle inexpensive Spanish red wine (we used Tempranillo)
2 cups spiced apple cider (recipe above)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup brandy

For the Spiced Apple Cider:
Mix together all ingredients in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and then remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Strain before using.

For the Spiced Apple Cider Sangria:
Mix ingredients together in a large pitcher and garnish with orange wheels and cinnamon sticks. To serve, pour over ice.

70 Responses to “Spiced Apple Cider Sangria”

Mom — November 4, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Oh My Goodness…. the photographs are amazing with the new lighting T!!! This looks so fallish! Great job on the recipe too Mike :)

Sandy — November 4, 2011 @ 9:35 am

That picture should be framed! Beautiful….yummy recipe too!

Kristina — November 4, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Ya’ll HAVE to try this recipe!!! Not gonna lie it’s in my top 5 favorites of hubby’s cocktail recipes… and just might be #1 for for fall season ;)

Cassie @ bake your day — November 4, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I can’t believe it’s November. This is perfect for holiday parties. Bookmarking! These photos are beautiful!

• Kristina replied: — November 4th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

thanks so much Cassie! I actually took these at night time (in my kitchen) using my new studio lights!!! I’m SO glad the pics are coming out looking like they were taken in natural lighting!!

Bev Weidner — November 4, 2011 @ 10:54 am

This is perfect timing because TOMORROW I have to come up with a red wine holiday cocktail – HELLO, INSPIRATION.

• Kristina replied: — November 4th, 2011 @ 11:01 am

there ya go!!! ;)

brandi — November 4, 2011 @ 11:25 am

I need this tonight! Yum. i love spiced wine.

and the lights are awesome!!

nicole {sweet peony} — November 4, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

wow these pictures are gorgeous! i saw you said you used your studio lights for this? totally on my wish list now!!

also, this looks sooooo good. perfect for thanksgiving :)

• Kristina replied: — November 4th, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

yep – studio lights are my new life saver – i took these when it was pitch black outside! Turned off my kitchen lights and solely used the studio set up! I’m shocked at how well they work! :)

Jessica — November 4, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

Stunning photos!! I am loving all that warm red…so Fall!

• Kristina replied: — November 4th, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

thanks lady! You should probably come drink some of this with me ;)

Sarah — November 4, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

First of all…the photos you took are amazing! I love the red against the table…so beautiful! And I am a sucker for Sangria, it’s my go-to drink! What a great way to bring it into the fall season. I definitely need to try this soon!

Victoria — November 4, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

OMGosh! This looks amazing!! Thank you for sharing, we will definitely be trying this! And I agree with everyone else the pictures are amazing! What type of lighting are you using?

• Kristina replied: — November 5th, 2011 @ 9:08 am

Thanks so much! I just got this set: http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Studio-Umbrella-Continuous-Lighting/dp/B001NDYTKA I’m using the two tall stands with the umbrellas (one on each side of the subject). Took the photos at NIGHT TIME in my kitchen… LOVE the lights – it gives a nice natural lighting look!! I still prefer real natural light, but this is an excellent substitute for winter time & late night shooting…

Anna — November 4, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

With the holiday season rushing in, we need to relax and spend recreational talks and conversations with girlfriends…Invite them over, this Cider sangria is totally perfect. Easy to mix too! Fruity is the healthy way to go…Thanks for the post

danellesdish — November 5, 2011 @ 7:22 am

This looks so good! I cannot wait to make it for my girls night out.

Debbie & John — November 5, 2011 @ 8:13 am

OK, we love the Thanksgiving bookmark idea….we’ll get all the ingredients, but we’ll have to sit around the outdoor fireplace.

Kelly — November 5, 2011 @ 10:21 am

Beautiful photos… What a perfect fall drink!

Sandra — November 5, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Amazing pictures. Guess I don’t have to ask how the studio lights work! The sangria sounds like a must have.

Cindy B. — November 5, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing.

Katie S. — November 7, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

Whoa! I stumbled upon this via Pinterest, and this looks seriously good. Combines everything I love – I’ll definitely be coming back here. Thanks for sharing!

Samantha — November 10, 2011 @ 9:53 am

I love apples. I love sangria. so, I love this!

let the holiday drinking begin! | remnants — November 10, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

[...] Cider Rum Punch, 2. Spiced Apple Cider Sangria , 3. Apple, Ginger, & Cranberry Vodka Cocktail, 4. [...]

jess — November 10, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Made this for my girls game night (last night). Everyone LOVED it! Definitely make this now!

101 Thanksgiving Recipes | How Sweet It Is — November 19, 2011 @ 8:02 am

[...] Spiced Apple Cider Sangria [...]

47 (mostly) Healthy Holiday Recipe Roundup | A Girl and Her Carrot — November 19, 2011 @ 11:49 am

[...] Spiced Apple Cider Sangria from: Tina at My Life as a Mrs.  [...]

A Thanksgiving Guide In France | The Haute Housewife — November 21, 2011 @ 11:58 am

[...] We’ll obviously be drinking lots of wine.  Check out my Turkey Day Wine Guide from last year if you’re unsure about what kind of wine goes with a Thanksgiving feast.  And if you’re in the mood for something different, how good does this look?? [...]

bmk — November 24, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Made this today and it was fantastic. I substituted Riesling for the red wine. This will definitely be appearing at more of our parties! Thanks the great recipe!

• Kristina replied: — November 28th, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

ooo i bet the Riesling was a nice touch! Glad you enjoyed!

Caitlin — December 16, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

I made this for my annual holiday party this year. It was delicious! And since I could do the prep work a day ahead, it really made for an easy cocktail to serve day of the party!

Kate Trozzi — December 16, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

This seemed fantastic! Had to try to make it. Already the cider smelled delicious. We were lacking in the nutmeg and allspice area but we made up with other fruit – I crushed some blackberries into the cider to lighten the flavor to strain out later and sliced some pomegranate to sit in the wine and spill some of the taste into the drink. So excited to serve this at dinner tomorrow. Thanks for the great recipe!

Which Wines are you Serving for the Holidays? | Vino Con Vista Italy Travel Guides and Events — December 23, 2011 @ 11:49 pm

[...] Derrick: Spiced Apple Cider Sangria (mylifeasamrs.com) [...]

Chelai — December 29, 2011 @ 9:32 am

We made it at Thanksgiving and it was so good that we decided to bottle it and do it as Chirstmas gifts. The only thing we did different was decrease the sugar the 2nd time. Just by just under 1/4 cup for our own preference. Still awesome. Thanks!

Homemade Sangria Simplified — February 15, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

[...] Derrick: Spiced Apple Cider Sangria (mylifeasamrs.com) [...]

Rhoda — August 19, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

Hi…does this need to sit overnight like other sangria?

samantha — September 22, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

So this should be made the day before?

• Tina replied: — September 23rd, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

not necessarily… I usually make it a few hours ahead. But you could make it the night before if preferred.

Lauren — September 26, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

This is delicious!!! And I made another batch of the plain mulled cider as a second option – it’s amazing on it’s own! Thank you so much! Kudos!

• Tina replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

thanks so much for your feedback! SO happy to hear you enjoyed it! :)

15 (Unique, Fun, & Delicious) Fall Recipes | 52 Kitchen Adventures — October 4, 2012 @ 10:00 am

[...] Spiced apple cider sangria from My Life as a Mrs. [...]

A Tribute to Fall! | — October 21, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

[...] Spiced Apple Cider Sangria [...]

Marcy — October 23, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

Cloves: whole or ground?

• Tina replied: — October 23rd, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

whole.

Anna — November 7, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

This is absolutely fantastic! I’ve made it twice so far and everyone loves it. It also makes the house smell wonderful.

47 (mostly) Healthy Holiday Recipe Roundup | Jennifer Vagios. Yoga + Nutrition — November 18, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

[...] Spiced Apple Cider Sangria from: Tina at My Life as a Mrs.  [...]

Thanksgiving 2012 « lollingabout — November 19, 2012 @ 9:22 am

[...] right?! Instead of just grabbing a few bottles of wine though, I thought I’d make this spiced apple cider sangria. Doesn’t get more autumnal than [...]

Tina — November 19, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

Hi,
    Can you make this ahead of time?
    Thanks, Tina

Shannon — November 20, 2012 @ 10:10 am

I love this recipe so much that I blogged about it. Beautiful photographs!

Wasted Wednesday: Spiced Apple Cider Sangria « lollingabout — November 21, 2012 @ 9:22 am

[...] Spiced Apple Cider Sangria (copied from here) [...]

Linda — November 21, 2012 @ 9:45 am

What kind of brandy? I don’ t drink it so I am clueless.

Owen — November 22, 2012 @ 7:14 am

The best sangria ever! Combining my two favorite seasonal beverages so good! We’ve been making this cider for months now and we just can’t get enough. Thank you for sharing this!

Jazz — December 3, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Looks and sounds so good!!! Blogged it here http://lovesholiday.tumblr.com/post/36959741281/spiced-apple-cider-sangria

Looking forward to making it this Christmas :)

Ann — December 9, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

I made this for a party last night. It was DELICIOUS!!!! Huge success!!! I quadrupled the recipe and added red pears and apples to it. I also used a cheap cabernet sauvignon instead of a spanish wine. Wasn’t sure what kind of brandy to use so i used one called Apple Jack. The Spiced Apple Cider produced more than i needed for the sangria but i ended up putting it all in. I will definately make this again!!!! Everyone wanted this recipe!! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!

Fa La La Santa Sangria for Your Holiday Bash | Vino Con Vista Italy Travel Guides and Events — December 15, 2012 @ 11:51 am

[...] Derrick: Spiced Apple Cider Sangria (mylifeasamrs.com) [...]

Sangria de cidra com maçã e especiarias « The Big Menu — December 17, 2012 @ 11:23 am

[...] Receita via [...]

Cocktail Corner: Simmering Sangria « Santa Barbara SEASONS BLOG — December 20, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

[...] Spiced Apple Sangria from My Life as a Mrs. [...]

Kim — December 26, 2012 @ 1:02 am

I made this last night and took it to Christmas lunch today. Fan-freaking-tastic!! It was so delicious. I followed the recipe exactly but tripled it and I wouldn’t change a thing! I will mention that for those who don’t care for their drinks as strong as this, it did have a punch, that a splash of 7-up took it to a whole new level. Highly recommend and thank you greatly for sharing this with us!

Top FIVE Thursday Vibes- 11.1.2012 | Everything's a Thing — August 21, 2013 @ 5:44 pm

[…] Image via My Life as a Mrs. […]

Jen — September 30, 2013 @ 10:28 am

I was thinking to do something like this but my thought was to serve it warm, for an outside autumn warm up. What are your thoughts on how that would be?

• Tina replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

I’d add the booze at the end B/C warming it all together would cook off the alcohol…

15 Delicious Sangria Recipes — October 6, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

[…] Project & Photo credit to mylifeasamrs.com […]

Jen — October 7, 2013 @ 5:48 pm

I did! Warmed the cider, then added merlot. Warmed just enough, poured over diced apples sprinkled w/ cinnamon, then added some spiced rum! Fantastic!

The Best Autumn SangriaFor Love of Style | For Love of Style — October 16, 2013 @ 6:04 am

[…] Image via My Life as a Mrs. […]

31DoH: Halloween Housewarming | A Small Bird: Blog! — October 28, 2013 @ 7:33 am

[…] These >> Halloween Punch, Spiced Apple Cider Sangria Make These >> Swamp Body Dump […]

Lauren — November 25, 2013 @ 8:47 pm

Hello! This sounds so yummy! I will be making it for my families thanksgiving this year! I’ll need to triple the recipe because we are expecting about 25 people! Do you recommend a good Apple Cider? Can you buy it at a typical grocery chain store? Also is the 1/2 teaspoon of cloves ground? Can’t wait! Thank you!

Karen — December 8, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

I did this for a party and have been asked for the recipe many times now. Really good. I was able to buy Trader Joe’s Spiced apple cider and just added the sugar and orange zest and oranges, heated it and let that cool. Really, really good drink especially for the fall and winter holidays.

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — December 10, 2013 @ 9:05 am

We made this for the day after Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit! Can’t wait to make it again.

Cocktail Corner: Simmering Sangria | LeslieDinaberg.com — February 19, 2014 @ 6:49 pm

[…] Spiced Apple Sangria from My Life as a Mrs. […]