Saturday, January 14, 2012

Clean Out

What started out as a day of chopping veggies to stock my freezer…

Turned into a full on refrigerator/freezer clean out… because let’s face it – they were out. of. control. hah

A closer look (for the curious):

Eggs, homemade Jam, lime juice, Raw Probiotics (gotta represent for the hubs!), bacon drippings, instant yeast (for baking), and other miscellaneous items…

& on the Bottom Shelf:

Cocktail mixers (peach nectar, cranberry juice…), vanilla almond milk (we normally have regular milk too, but I just ran out), OJ (NATALIE’S IS THE BOMB!), hubs’ beer, fat free half and half in the back…

And in the drawers:

Cheese up top, fruit in the middle (lemons, limes, apples, pomegranate), and Veggies down below (asparagus, brussels, spinach, mushrooms, etc…)

& Now it’s Freezer Time (the start of this whole shin-dig):

and my Veggies found their new home up top:

Other things we keep in there: Alexia Sweet Potato Fries, Raspberry Sorbet, Blue Bell Cookie Dough Ice Cream, lots of frozen fruits and nuts, meats down below (we ALWAYS have a big ol’ bag of chicken breasts on hand).

There you have it, friends… the inner workings of my refrigerator/freezer!

… and I’m officially WIPED.

Happy Saturday!

17 Responses to “Clean Out”

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — January 14, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

I started doing the same thing with my veggies (especially carrots and celery) so when I go to make soup all my basics are ready to go. Plus then I don’t lose half a bag of each when they inevitably die their slow death in my crisper…
    And excellent choice with the Yuengling.

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Culinary Indulgence — January 14, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

I don’t know why I’ve never thought to freeze chopped celery, onions, and carrots! That’s a really great idea to always have on hand to throw into soups or whatever else. I’ll have to try it out : )

leslie — January 14, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

You had a busy day. I rearranged my glasses and mugs cabinet.

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche — January 14, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

I can’t believe I’d never thought of chopping up veg to freeze before! It’s a great idea – can you just use them straight from frozen in the same ways as you’d use fresh veg?

Kathryn — January 15, 2012 @ 4:45 am

I’m a bit too scared to tackle my fridge…I have no idea what’s lurking at the back but I should really put that on today’s to do list!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 15, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Love it!!! I need to clean out my freezer again. My Husband goes to the store buys like 3 bags of french fries because they are on sale, and we have no room, so I jam them in the freezer. You inspired me, I’m going to clean the freezer today. I cleaned my fridge yesterday considering it was empty and I filled it with groceries. :)

Colleen — January 15, 2012 @ 10:50 am

I love to clean out the fridge and freezer!! Alexia sweet potatoes are my favorite too!!

I’ve been stocking up on homemade meals to freeze for when this baby arrives (I’m 7 days past due today) so currently I have no extra room in there, but when I do I want to chop and freeze veggies–great idea!

Rhonda — January 15, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

I love fridge photos, I take them pretty often also. Good job cleaning up!

Jeff — January 16, 2012 @ 12:23 am

I just cleaned my fridge out as well! It’s nice to get it all clean and organized again. Cleaning behind the veggie drawer was a pretty interesting experience… I definitely need to clean behind their more often!

Katie @ Katie Without Restrictions — January 16, 2012 @ 12:47 am

I’m so impressed! This is one of the things on my to-do list that I keep pushing back… But SO needs to be done!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — January 16, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

Looks wonderful. I need to do that. I always forget that I can chop up and freeze veggies that I have leftover from a recipe.

Mila @ loftyappetite — January 18, 2012 @ 9:58 am

I really love the idea of chopping and freezing veggies, I really need to get in the habit of doing that! How long do they last in there, in case I forget about them?

Liz — January 18, 2012 @ 11:01 am

This is going to sound silly, but how do you separate out serving-sized portions without defrosting the whole bag? I love the idea of freezing veggies because there are only two of us in the house, and it would be a great way to help me stop cooking for an army, I think. :)

larissa — January 19, 2012 @ 3:01 am

the organization freek in me is absolutely in love w/ this post! [even though it's fridge/freezer organization]. thanks for sharing your step by step process – the after pics look a-mazing :)

Amy — January 29, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

I had no idea you could cut veggies like that and freeze them. How long will they keep??

• Kristina replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 11:32 am

I honestly have no idea how long they’ll keep… this is my first time with it, but I’ll let you know. Frozen vegetables that you buy in bags keep for a long time (I’m presuming it’ll be the same… hopefully)!

Tip: I think next time I’ll freeze them in individual portions since they stick together a bit after freezing (i just bang the bag on the counter til the amount i need breaks off… haha – it’s a pain but does the trick). Or I may freeze the veggies in a flat layer on a cookie sheet, then transfer to the bags.

It’s a work in progress ;)

Stephanie — February 13, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

If you freeze as a single layer on a cookie sheet (use wax or parchment paper to keep the veggies from sticking to the sheet) then they won’t freeze in clumps.

I am curious, is it better to keep yeast in the fridge? I keep mine in the cupboard.