Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cuban Pizza with Black Beans, Lechon, and Swiss

Remember my Cuban lechon from the other day?? Well, here’s the thing, hubs decided to buy a 5 3/4 pounder pork butt. Yah. Since 4 people need 5 3/4 pounds of pulled pork haha! Anyhow, needless to say I have pork coming outta my ears right now.

I was looking at my leftovers the other night (Lechon & mojito sauce, black beans, sweet plantains (I buy these in the freezer section and heat them in the oven), and chopped onion:

One thing came to mind: PIZZA!

Yah, I know, I like interesting things on my pizza…

Remember the Philly Cheesesteak Pizza? Or the Eggplant Parmesan Pizza?

Well, I spread some of my left over blackbeans on the crust as my “sauce” and topped it with chopped up leftover pork, chopped up leftover sweet plantains, leftover chopped onions, a drizzle of mojito sauce, and some shredded swiss cheese. Gotta love a “take two” meal!

Anyhow, I threw that baby in a 500 degree oven and something magical happened…

I topped it off with some fresh chopped cilantro, a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice, and some crushed red pepper flakes for heat….

DEEEEEEEELLLLLLIIIIICCCCCIIIOOOOOUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS…

Do yourself a favor and go make the lechon ASAP (one of the best meals EVER), and save a little bit of it for THIS pizza!!!!!!!! 1 day of work… 2 nights of incredible meals. Yes. Please.

Other Favorite Pizza Recipes:

Cuban Pizza with Black Beans, Lechon, and Swiss

Yield: 1 pizza

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25-30 minutes

Incredible Cuban pizza made out of (gasp) LEFT OVERS!!!

1 pound pizza dough
1 cup leftover black beans
1 cup chopped leftover Lechon
2-3 tablespoons leftover mojito sauce
1/2 cup leftover cooked sweet plantains, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
cilantro, for garnish
lime wedges, for garnish
corn meal, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 500° F (use the convection option for an extra crispy crust!) with the pizza stone in the oven. If you do not have a pizza stone, preheat a baking sheet in the oven and keep in mind cooking times may be longer.

Roll dough out into a large circle. Sprinkle pre-heated stone with cornmeal and carefully place dough onto stone and poke center of dough with a pork so it doesn't bubble up. Allow the crust to par-bake for 2 minutes (poking down bubbles as necessary). Carefully remove crust from oven using a pizza peel.

Spread black beans on the crust and top with chopped pork, chopped plantains, chopped onions, a drizzle of mojito sauce, and swiss cheese. Place back in the oven and back for another 8-12 minutes until cheese in bubbly and melted and crust is browned. Slice and serve hot with a sprinkle of cilantro and a generous squeeze of lime juice.

18 Responses to “Cuban Pizza with Black Beans, Lechon, and Swiss”

Kathryn — January 4, 2012 @ 8:25 am

I’m so glad you posted this – I saw it on instagram and it looked amazing!

Leslie — January 4, 2012 @ 8:25 am

Looks delish. I posted a cuban pizza from my left over pulled pork many moons ago. Mine was a take on a cuban sandwich. Love the black beans on yours

• Kristina replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 11:56 am

girl – we have the same brain, i think ;)

Lane — January 4, 2012 @ 9:25 am

I love reusing leftover into new meals. Usually when we have leftover pulled pork we end up having tacos or burritos using the leftovers. Pizza is a wonderful idea! Looking forward to trying it.

Bev Weidner — January 4, 2012 @ 10:08 am

GUUUURL we share a love for pizza. I’m a LUNATIC with it. And I love this.

• Kristina replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 11:55 am

Pizza has two of the greatest foods ever: cheese and bread… what’s NOT to love?! haha

Whitney — January 4, 2012 @ 10:21 am

I am a pizza FREAK and love putting unique ingredients on homemade crust. This is amazing I want to eat the whole thing immediately…do you deliver???!! :)

• Kristina replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 11:57 am

haha if we were neighbors, i totally would! :)

Brittnee — January 4, 2012 @ 11:16 am

This looks delicious! I think I really want to make the Lechon just to make the pizza :) Thanks for a good recipe!

• Kristina replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 11:57 am

DOOOO ITTTT :)

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — January 4, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

Ummm…I know I’m an internet stranger, but can I come over for dinner? This looks amazing! I’ve never cooked pork (besides bacon and sausage) but that really needs to change!

Mike — January 4, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

See, the butcher and I were right; you can never have too much pork! Great post and amazing pizza

Tanya - Three Square Meals — January 5, 2012 @ 5:42 am

So unique and innovative! I bet a sprinkling of dill relish would be amazing too!

Stacy — January 5, 2012 @ 7:52 am

What a great idea for left over pulled pork. I feel the same way when I make it! We have pulled pork for a week!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 5, 2012 @ 9:59 am

I am discovering everythign is good on pizza! Your pizza’s always look fantastic! I am still planning on making your cheesesteak pizza!

Kelsey@ ReadySetFeast — January 5, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

I always have trouble getting the pizza to and from the pizza stone. It always sticks to the paddle, any suggestions??

Carrie — January 5, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

Hot Damn girl! this sounds so awesome.

Friday Favorites!! « mommysmenu — January 6, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

[...] {Cuban Pizza with Black Beans, Lechon, and Swiss via My Life as a Mrs.} [...]