Monday, January 16, 2012

Gnocchi in Parmesan Garlic Sauce

Remember that time I made homemade gnocchi?? Well, one batch I smothered in an incredible vodka sauce and the other batch I froze. Then I forgot about it until… oh the other day. Yah, turns out gnocchi freezes REALLY well (if you check the date on those posts – we’re talking almost a full year, well)! hah

Anyhow, I wanted to do something different than the typical red sauce, and was feeling the whole garlic parmesan combo.

I wanted to keep it a litte lighter though, so instead of adding cream, I added a little bit of the starchy cooking liquid. It. turned. out. amazing. Hubs couldn’t believe their wasn’t any cream in it! It was creamy, garlicky, and delicious (my kind of pasta!).

You guys, this meal is SOOOOOO easy. 4 ingredients (not including salt & pepper) and it came together in about 15 minutes!  Easy. Peasy. Deliciousness.

Next time I think I’ll add just a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to give it a bright finish (and because I’m obsessed with citrus!)!

Hello gorgeous…

Gnocchi in Parmesan Garlic Sauce

Yield: 3-4 servings

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 10-15 minutes

Total Time: 15-20 minutes

Gnocchi, Parmesan, Garlic, and butter - does it get any easier?!

1 pound gnocchi (or other pasta)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/4 cup cooking liquid*
fresh cracked pepper
salt

*Cooking liquid is just the water that you cooked your pasta in. it's salted and starchy and makes for a great thickener.

Cook gnocchi according to the package instructions (I like to salt the water). Be sure to reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the garlic and saute for 1 minute (stirring constantly. Add the cooked and drained gnocchi, top with parmesan, and cooking liquid. Stir until nice and creamy. Reduce heat to a low simmer and allow the liquid to reduce (about 3-4 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Voila! Dinner is served! Pair this is a nice bright salad and call it a day!

93 Responses to “Gnocchi in Parmesan Garlic Sauce”

Vanessa — October 7, 2013 @ 7:29 pm

This was wonderful! I added a small amount, maybe 1/2 cup, if crab meat to this fish and it was absolutely delish! I also added some white cooking wine as someone here suggested. Thank you very much. Awesome meal tonight

• Vanessa replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 7:30 pm

*Typo- DISH not fish

selena — October 27, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

This recipe has saved me on so mant occasions when I haven’t felt like cooking but wanted a cheap and delicious homemade meal. It’s so easy it’s like a grown up version of Top Ramen, except it tastes like something from Olive Garden. Kudos! I’m on my way back to the house to make it again!

Sarima — October 30, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

I made this tonight for dinner. However mine did not turn out as well as I had hoped. It just turned into a big cheesy mess. Not sure if it was the Parmesan I used. But I did add more of the cooking liquid and it still didnt help. Any suggestions for next time or is this how it should be?

Erin Michaels — November 7, 2013 @ 8:12 am

I love the taste of this recipe. I’ve made it two times so far. The last time tho, I had the same problem as Sarima. My cheese was one big glob. I also added more liquid to encourage it to unglob but it didn’t work. Any suggestions?

Julie — November 7, 2013 @ 7:15 pm

This was delicious!!! I used more of the cooking water and doubled the recipe plus added some dried parsley! Easy and tastes like it was much more complicated – great for week nights!

Jo — December 6, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

Oh my, this was scrummy! Though seeing as gnocchi, garlic and cheese are 3 of my favourite things it could hardly fail! 🙂 I added lemon zest, it was so simple and quick and just delicious. Thanks for the recipe x

Barbara — January 25, 2014 @ 2:07 pm

Thank you for this super-easy, great-tasting recipe. I’ve made this twice for church functions and everybody raves over it! 🙂

onehundredroads — March 21, 2014 @ 7:50 am

Wow! And thank you for this delicious and easy recipe! I made this for dinner on Thursday as a side for roesmary/caper/lemon salmon and the gnocchi was the star of the meal. Simply incredible and your directions and ingredients were spot on. In fact, it was so good that I made a fresh batch for lunch the next day, no sides. I used packaged gnocchi so I can only imagine how good home made gnocchi would taste. A++++

Heidi — June 5, 2014 @ 5:04 am

This was Amazing! Cant wait to make this again, thankyou!!!!!!!!!! I added seasoned grilled Chicken, was delicious

Yvonne — June 18, 2014 @ 8:29 am

just found this receipe can’t wait to try it out.

Nicole S. — July 6, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

I made this tonight with the exception of sautéing the gnocchi for a little bit in the butter before adding the garlic and other ingredients. It was very tasty! The sauce was very flavorful without overpowering the pasta.

tatiana — August 3, 2014 @ 1:40 am

I just made this and it tastes great. I was expecting it to be a bit thinner. It kind of reminds me of mac and cheese. I love it all the same though.

Anna // Mint + Refinement — August 28, 2014 @ 10:23 pm

I’m obsessed with gnocchi and only allow it for myself once in a while…and tonight’s the night! So excited to try this!

Barbi — September 9, 2014 @ 9:03 pm

This is a wonderful, flavorful, quick and easy meal! I sautéed sliced mushrooms in the butter first ( I just love them) and followed the rest of the directions as written. I also top with chopped parsley and if I don’t have fresh on hand I use dried. I think it adds a little extra flavor and just plain looks so pretty. So good and you don’t miss the cream at all. Thanks for sharing this recipe we have it often.

Judy — October 12, 2014 @ 9:12 pm

My husband who never liked gnocchi does now. My water was to salty. I didn’t use unsalted butter. Hence a bit too salty. I will probably add less cheese next time. Definite keeper.

Lori — November 2, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

This was great… used the sauce recipe with some white wine then shrimp and put it over angel hair…. the whole family loved it!!!

Danielle — January 3, 2015 @ 10:35 pm

Seriously the best recipe!!! Incredibly delicious, cooked with the exact ingredients you instructed – Yummm x 100!!

Deanna — January 18, 2015 @ 8:08 pm

One of my family’s favorite sides! We pair it with our steaks instead of baked potatoes and my teenagers love it! One of these days I may even try to make my own gnocchi but so easy to buy pre-made.

Melissa — February 19, 2015 @ 7:56 pm

thank you thank you! My whole family loved this minus my 2yr old! So simple and ingredients I keep on hand! My husband loves gnocchi and I always get stressed out when he buys it because I don’t know what sauce to use. This turned out amazing and I even halved the butter and the cheese!

Heidi — April 15, 2015 @ 6:35 pm

This is so simple and so delicious. Paired chicken and broccoli with it and my kids ate it up, including my 2 year old. Definitely a keeper and I can’t wait to try out different pairings like the ones suggested above. Perfect for a busy weeknight-Thanks!

• Tina replied: — April 16th, 2015 @ 6:27 pm

so glad you enjoyed!

Sara — July 24, 2015 @ 10:58 pm

Hi there! Any suggestions for when the cheese melts together in a glob? 🙁

Christine — July 26, 2015 @ 9:33 pm

This is fantastic! Thank you!

holly steigneer — August 11, 2015 @ 4:58 pm

golly jeepers this is fan-diddly tastic. This is melt in your mouth good yum yum in my tum tum.

Lindsay — March 4, 2016 @ 6:45 pm

This was awesome and so easy! Added some red pepper flakes and fresh oregano on top which added a little bit of spiciness/freshness. Will definitely make this again!