Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pressed Cuban Bread

It’s the simple things in life…

A cup of coffee in the morning.

A bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream when your PMS-ing.

Laying out at the beach in the “winter time” (sorry had to throw that one in).

Ordering take out when you don’t feel like cooking.

Flowers or a sweet note “just because”.

A cute baby trying to eat your camera lense cover.

(had too! she’s just sooo daggum cute!)

My point is, it’s the simplest things in life that are THE. BEST.

This bread is just that. Simple, yet amazing! We’re talking two ingredients: cuban bread and butter. But somehow, when you press it on a hot griddle it turns into buttery delicious goodness.

Pressed Cuban Bread

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Simple and delicious...

Cuban Bread
Salted butter, softened

Slice the cuban bread into 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick slices. Add 2 tablespoons butter to a hot skillet and melt over medium high heat. Add the bread slices leaving an inch in between each slice. Place a piece of foil over them and then top with a heavy bottomed skillet (I used a cast iron), allowing the weight to press it down. Allow to heat for 1-2 minutes, flip and repeat with second side (adding butter if necessary). Repeat until all slices are toasted on both sides. Serve hot.

9 Responses to “Pressed Cuban Bread”

Mackenzie — January 5, 2012 @ 8:21 am

I love this post Tina. So simple, and sounds so good. Especially the laying on the beach in winter time piece! I am soo jealous of that! (Minnesota is COLD!)

lindsay — January 5, 2012 @ 9:40 am

yum! we love cuban bread…i need to make this SOON!

Leslie — January 5, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Ohh yes…My love..Cuban Bread!!! We have it several times a week and pressed with lots of butter is the best way!

Natalie — January 5, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

reminds me of my favorite Cuban restaurant.. i never thought about how simple it would be to recreate at home!

Cassie — January 5, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

I love you again for saying daggum, and for showing me that adorable child. And for making bread better (how does that happen?). LOVE it!

Sandra — January 6, 2012 @ 8:11 am

I just read another article telling me that starchy carbs are the bane of my existence and then I see this…. You win!!! This is so simple and I know so addicting.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 6, 2012 @ 10:28 am

I love simple and looks tasty! I never had cuban bread, but I’m going to find it, but it and make this! Of course your monkey bread recipe comes first!

brandi — January 12, 2012 @ 10:08 am

ohmygosh that baby!!!

this bread looks so good – and i love that it’s so simple!

Katie — March 7, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

Love this post. Especially yummy when dunked into a piping hot cup of cafe con leche!