Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Salted Pretzel Rolls

I was watching Diner’s, Drive In’s, and Dives a few months ago and their was this restaurant called Kuma’s Corner on the show that serves all of their burgers on Pretzel rolls. I was immediately intrigued…

Were these said pretzel rolls just a regular soft pretzel recipe shaped like a hamburger bun? Or was it an entirely different type of recipe? hmmm… I was on the hunt. Then I forgot about them for a while… that is, until they started popping up everywhere on Pinterest (side note: if your not on Pinterest, you should be – it’s the bomb!).

Anyhow, my Pinterest addiction reignited my desire to make those pretzel rolls I’d seen on TV months prior!

I googled recipes and found a really simple one via Tasty Kitchen (simple= SOLD!). And you know what? These pretzel rolls were everything I dreamed they would be… soft and chewy… dense and light… all at the same time! Any the saltiness on top?! Heavenly. Best vessel for a burger EVER.

Tomorrow I’ll tell you all about the best burger of my life that I made using these rolls!

Get excited, folks!

Salted Pretzel Rolls

Yield: 8 large rolls

Prep Time: 20 minutes (plus 1 1/2 hours rise time)

Cook Time: 15-20 minutes

Make the rolls smaller if you just want to use them as small dinner rolls.

1 ½ cup warm water (110°F)
1 package active dry yeast (not instant rise yeast)
2 teaspoons sugar
4-½ cups unbleached all-purpose Flour
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
4 tablespoons unsalted Butter, melted
¼ cups baking soda
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
Pretzel Salt, for sprinkling

In the bowl of your stand mixer (fitted with the dough hook attachment), add the water, yeast, and sugar. Stir and let rest 5-10 minutes until foamy (mine didn't look all that foamy but still turned out).

Add the flour, salt, and melted butter and mix using the dough hook until combined well. Cover with a plastic wrap (or a towel) and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk (again, mine didn't look like it rose all that much, but turned out amazingly). Punch the dough down and turn it onto a lightly floured clean surface.

Line 1 large sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. Cut the dough into 8 pieces (4 1/2 - 5 ounces each). To shape the dough "take a piece of dough and start forming a round, smooth ball by pulling the sides to the center and pinching to seal. Place, pinched side down, on a counter and lightly cupping your hand around the dough ball, rotate your hand in small circles lightly rolling the ball around the palm of your hand."

Place the ball on the prepared baking sheet pinched seam side down, with at least 1” between each roll. I like to stagger mine: 2 rolls side by side, then one down one row but between the two in the top row... Then 2 more side by side, followed by one down a row but between the 2 in the top row... etc (this will fit all 8 on one cookie sheet). Cover with a towel and allow to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes until they rise & double (mine didn't rise a whole lot).

Preheat oven to 425°F and place oven rack in the middle position. In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a low boil. Remove from heat and slowly add the baking soda (I dumped mine in and it boiled up and overflowed all over my stove - lesson learned! hah) place back on heat and lower to a simmer.

Place 2-3 of the rolls at a time into the poaching liquid, seam side down. Poach for 30 seconds and then carefully turn the roll over and poach for another 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon to the same prepared sheet pan, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining rolls.

Using a pastry brush, brush each roll with the beaten egg, making sure to coat all sides completely & then prinkle each roll with a little pretzel salt. Using a sharp straight edged knife, cut a slash (or 2) -or- an “X” shape in the top of each roll. Bake the rolls in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve hot!

Adapted from: Tasty Kitchen

101 Responses to “Salted Pretzel Rolls”

Haleemah — June 4, 2013 @ 9:19 am

Can’t wait to make these for my daughters graduation BBQ they look delish

Val — June 18, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I made them yesterday for a belated Father’s Day bbq for hubby. They were awesome. It reheated really well today for him at work too.

I’m posting the tweaks I made to the recipe tomorrow 🙂

Easy Pretzel Buns :: Once A Week Cooking — June 19, 2013 @ 9:27 am

[…] I found the recipe at My Life as a Mrs and knew I’d found the winner. She had very helpful tips in her directions as well. It made […]

bluz — July 9, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

My Mom used to make these, she came over from Germany with my dad in 1950. She called them lowegewegle, I probably hacked the spelling but it’s close. The lowege is supposedly a poisonous solution that you dip the rolls in before you bake them. We never thought of putting a burger in one, sometimes we added cold cuts. They were to die for. My oldest daughter knows how to make them, she procured some lowge from an old German guy we used to work with. No one ever got sick from the solution but it did give a little bite to the taste. Parents are long gone and I do miss Mom’s specials. She always said I’d miss it some day.

Rick — July 11, 2013 @ 12:53 am

Why not instant yeast.?
    Diners, Drive-ins and Dives are plural – not possessive.
    And it’s there, not their.
    Sorry, you are writing a blog. Writing is important.
    However, you nailed the photos. Nice job!

Jessie {Life As A Strawberry} — July 17, 2013 @ 9:48 pm

I made these to use with some chicken sandwiches for my blog and HOLY SMOKES they were fantastic. I ate three right out of the oven and almost forgot to save some for pictures for my recipe. Whoops. But seriously. This is a winner.

Everything on a Pretzel Bun! | Heaven Sent Peanut Butter — July 18, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

[…] a plain old bun. Therefore, last summer I decided to venture out and try to make my own. I found this recipe over at “My Life as a Mrs.” It is a pretty long, but easy process. Worth. It. My […]

Laura — July 27, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

Sounds terrific, can’t wait to try them out.

Kim — August 4, 2013 @ 6:14 pm

WOW! I made these rolls today and the recipe is perfect. Thanks! The only change I made was to cook them on convection at 425. The outdise came out a little more crunchy. Family devoured them.

Black Bean Burgers on Pretzel Buns | {Re}visionary Life — August 5, 2013 @ 7:53 pm

[…] {source: My Life as a Mrs.} […]

Larry — August 10, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Do you also use brewers sugar, maltose instead of white sugar. Have you tried baking powder with the baking soda for a home made lye dip?

Amy All Day — August 21, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

A.MAZ.ING. loved the recipe. Adapted it for the breadmachine. Meaning I put in all the liquids plus butter plus sugar, salt, then flour and yeast on top. Used 2.5 tsp instant yeast. Used the dough setting just until it looked like dough. Followed the rest to a T. Came out AWESOME. Husband said the best bread I’ve made yet. And I’ve made a lot of bread. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Nat — September 5, 2013 @ 9:53 am

These were AMAZING. I made them for myself, figuring they’d make great sandwiches to bring to work for lunch. I was 100% correct and I’m making them again this weekend since my batch just ran out.

By the way, as to some other reviewers’ questions – YES it’s freezable after baking.

I baked them all and then sliced them and froze, figuring it’d work like pre-sliced english muffins. TRUTH. If I want to eat it immediately I can pull it out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and it’s soft and warm like it just came out of the oven. If I want it for lunch I’ll just throw the frozen roll in my bag and by the time lunch comes around it’s defrosted and tastes just like a prefect pretzel, ready to slap some ham on and call it a day 🙂

Melissa S — September 14, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

Yea not so easy I followed the recipe and the dough stuck to the parchment paper and did not come out like they were supposed too very disappointed

Scott woodruff — October 7, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

Perhaps the rolls should be cooked on a greased sheet? Cuz mine stuck like mad! Big point to miss.

Scott woodruff — October 7, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

And they should be kneaded after the first rising.

Pretzel Rolls Recipe - takingtimeformommy.com — October 8, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

[…] Rolls From My Life as a Mrs 1 ½ cup warm water 2 1/4 tsp active yeast 2 tsp sugar 4 ½ cups flour 2 tsp salt 4 Tbls butter, […]

Eliza — October 27, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

Just moved back to the USA from Germany, where these rolls were in every bakery in the country. I am so thrilled to have found such a great/easy recipe…I was having flashbacks while eating them! Thank you!!!

Everything on a Pretzel Bun! | Heaven Sent Peanut Butter — November 2, 2013 @ 11:31 pm

Burger Making Weekend | Kenny's Inner Hunger — November 4, 2013 @ 3:32 am

[…] Pretzel Bun […]

Kelly — November 26, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

Just made these, great recipe – thanks!

Nichole Van Bruggen — December 8, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

Made these tonight!!! They are AMAZING!!!! Super easy to make. I use a silpat instead of parchment paper and they come out perfect! Thanks so much for an awesome recipe!

Pretzel Rolls | but i'm hungry — January 5, 2014 @ 1:14 pm

[…] adapted from this recipe […]

Laura @ Tide & Thyme — February 19, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

Just made these tonight – wanted something special to go with the burgers I made for the first time with my meat grinder. Absolutely, positively perfect! Thanks so much for a great recipe, will be making this one again for sure. Nice to have something to switch up my regular burger buns with.

My Blog / Website» Blog Archive Salted Pretzel Rolls » My Blog / Website — February 21, 2014 @ 9:45 pm

[…] the top of each roll. Bake the rolls in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm. Source: My Life as a Mrs., originally from Tasty Kitchen « Scalloped Tomatoes Gianduja Stracciatella Gelato […]

FMITK: From My Impossibly Tiny Kitchen | Pretzel Rolls — March 3, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

[…] makes 8 large (or 16 small) rolls barely tweaked from my life as a mrs. […]

Lin C. — March 5, 2014 @ 10:28 pm

I just made these today and they are soft & lovely, thank you for an amazing recipe!

Amy — March 16, 2014 @ 10:08 pm

My husband and I have been wanting to try pretzel buns. After looking at several recipes, we tried yours and love them. We shaped half into buns for brats. Definitely making these again. Thank you!

Shawna — March 22, 2014 @ 9:45 pm

I can’t count the number of times I have made these since I decided to try your recipe.
    I am above 6000 ft and they still turn out wonderful. I also made several batches for my sister’s family in OK – wonderful again! ( and they didn’t even last 30 minutes until they were gone! )
    I do agree that the instructions are missing a few steps. A beginning baker may be very confused.
    Thanks for a very yummy pretzel roll recipe

Jalapeno Chicken Salad Bacon Club on a Homemade Pretzel Bun | Dixie Chik Cooks — April 22, 2014 @ 5:38 pm

[…] made these pretzel buns from My Life as a Mrs. a few days ago and it was SO easy, and they tasted perfect. […]

Marissa — April 29, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

I made these for our Easter picnic and they were a hit! I would recommend cutting them into 10 rolls because 8 was much big, but that’s just us.

My family loved the rolls so much that I’m making another batch as I speak.

Dark Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Bread Pudding — May 20, 2014 @ 11:32 am

[…] couldn’t find them anywhere so I made them using this recipe.  I used one full recipe, which was eight […]

Angela Dicken — May 22, 2014 @ 8:06 am

These are what I’m making for dinner tonight! I’m going have burgers grilled with green onions. Can’t wait for your burger recipes.

Sydney — May 25, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

Hey! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! We are going to make the dough in the KitchenAid, and instead of making it into buns, we’ll be doing homemade pizzas! I can’t wait to see how they turn out, and I’ll come back and update when they do! Thanks again for such a detailed recipe with BEAUTIFUL images, too!

Rebecca — June 13, 2014 @ 10:08 pm

These were absolutely wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

Pretzel buns | Shelby and Trevor's Food — June 20, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

[…] So Shelby and I wanted some pretzel buns. We went by fresh market but couldn’t find any fresh ones so we decided to make some of our own. We looked online and found a ton of recipes so we picked one and went to work. The recipe was easy to make but took a while to make with having to let the dough rise. But the wait was worth it because they came out delicious. I forgot to take any pictures while making them but here is the website we got the recipe from Click here […]

hannah — June 21, 2014 @ 11:10 am

I’ve always heard that pretzel rolls should be made with bread flour, but they do look amazing so maybe ill try it anyway.

Seattle Divorce Lawyer website — July 4, 2014 @ 4:22 am

Theses are amazingly yummy and i loved them. When i made them i wondered if i could shape them into pretzel shape and they would still be fine. Thanks!

Blackened Tilapia with Buffalo Slaw and Mango Salsa on a Pretzel Bun | Dixie Chik Cooks — July 21, 2014 @ 5:49 pm

[…] pretzels before. But this particular recipe is by far the best I’ve ever made. I found it on My Life As a Mrs., but keep in mind I changed a couple of things. I’m sure hers are delicious, but sometimes I […]

30+ Pretzel Recipes - Eclectic Momsense — August 22, 2014 @ 8:38 pm

[…] Soft Pretzel Bread Buns- Hummingbird High Soft Pretzel Rolls- Bake Your Day Salted Pretzel Buns- My Life as a Mrs. Pretzel Rolls with Beer Cheese Sauce- The Curvy Carrot Sliced Pretzel Bread- Seeded at the Table […]

Michele — January 9, 2015 @ 9:19 am

This recipe is amazing! Honestly, I’ve made so many different types of bread, pizza, pretzel dough and this was the best dough I’ve ever made. I posted it on my new blog last night. I’d love for you to check it out!

Big Red — February 9, 2015 @ 4:15 pm

Hi Lisa,

This worked perfectly. They were soft and very good! It worked just like you said. It made 8 hamburger sized rolls.

Thanks!

Red

Mary — February 19, 2015 @ 8:13 am

Thanks so much! My daughter and I were just talking about these today. My absolute favorite food in Germany! I will be making these this week!!

Jamie — February 26, 2015 @ 1:37 pm

I have to agree with Michele! These were the best rolls!! I also reblogged this post! I did have a hard time getting the rolls to double in size during the second rising time but they sure were tasty!! http://www.voluntownhousewife.com

Rebecca Arnold — April 25, 2015 @ 8:53 pm

Making these tonight to go with hamburgers for supper. I can’t wait!

Brigitte — June 26, 2015 @ 4:53 pm

This receipe pis a original, I’m also from Germany From the Schwabenland and we call them Laugenwecken , the Prezels are called Laugenpretzel, the original always has soda, that’s why the salty taste, right before. backing sprinkle large salt on the top. Hagel Salt.

Missy — July 1, 2015 @ 10:14 pm

These pretzel rolls were amazing! My yeast was a little expired (Sept ’14…lol) and I didn’t have an issue with the dough. So easy to make, who knew! Thanks so much for sharing!