Monday, January 30, 2012

Spiced Buttermilk Muffins

I was never a big muffin person… until now:

Have you ever been to Mimi’s Cafe? Well they serve the most amazing, fresh, hot muffins with every brunch item you order! I always (and I mean ALWAYS) opt for the spiced buttermilk variety.

It’s DELICIOUS.

So I decided to scour the internet to find a copycat recipe.

Turns out I didn’t have to look that hard… Mimi’s actually posted the recipe on their website. hah I decided to change things up a bit, though (because that’s how I roll). I’m not a big nutmeg fan, so i subbed out allspice and added WAY more of the spice mixture than the recipe called for – because let’s face it, if a muffin is called a “Spiced Muffin” it should have some serious spiced flavor to it, right?!

The result was… LEGEN {Wait. for. it.} DARY!

Sorry… i’ve seen a few too “How I met your Mother” episodes on Netflix…

But seriously. Best. Muffin. EVER.

Make these ASAP! You won’t be sorry!

Spiced Buttermilk Muffins

Yield: 15-16 muffins

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20-25 minutes

Total Time: 35-40 minutes

The most moist 7 delicious spiced muffins!

For the Muffins:

For the Streusel Topping:
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice

For the Streusel Topping:
Combine ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until ready to use.

For the Muffins:

Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare muffin tins with muffin papers or parchment paper.

In a medium mixing bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer) cream together the sugar and butter until thoroughly mixed. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, allspice, and cinnamon. Slowly add the flour and the buttermilk to the sugar/butter mixture (alternating wet with dry) and mix at low speed until smooth and combined well.

Fill each of the prepared muffin tins about 3/4 full with the batter. Add a rounded tablespoon of the streusel topping on top of each muffin cup of batter. Bake immediately so the topping doesn't sink to the bottom of the muffin.

Bake for 20-28 minutes, until golden brown and when a toothpick is inserted into the middle of the muffin it comes out clean. (Oven temps vary, so check the muffins after 20 minutes).

Serve hot!

Adapted from: Mimi's Cafe

24 Responses to “Spiced Buttermilk Muffins”

Chelai — January 30, 2012 @ 8:46 am

Hi Tina,
    Love the blog! I am going to try these and want to know if you can tell me where to pick up the paper muffin wrappers? is that what they are called?

• Kristina replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 11:28 am

Those are actually parchment paper squares – i cut them myself (5″ x 5″)… Tutorial HERE

Natalie — January 30, 2012 @ 8:54 am

I love Mimi’s muffins! You just made my day! Maybe Lucy will give me a minute to bake them soon :)

Kati — January 30, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Ha ha. Love the HIMYM reference! :)

• Kristina replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 11:26 am

haha that show is ADDICTING!!! I had caught a few re-runs in the afternoons after work and loved it. So, we started watching in on Netflix a few days ago – we’ve already made it through 1 1/2 seasons… hah!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 30, 2012 @ 9:51 am

I love Mimi’s for the only reason that they do have complimentary muffins. Any place with complimentary muffins is a friend of mine. I’ll definitely have to try these soon.

Jessica — January 30, 2012 @ 11:41 am

“The result was… LEGEN {Wait. for. it.} DARY!”

You crack me up!!

• Kristina replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

tell me you watch How I Met your Mother????!!!!

Kathryn — January 30, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

I am always on the look out for good muffin recipes and these look just up my street!

Cassie — January 30, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

I’m not really a big muffin person either. I must try these!

Leslie — January 30, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

Mimi’s rocks. I have made another one of their muffins…hmmmm, I can’t remember what hey were called, they had pineapple in them. Geeze I ramble.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchin — January 31, 2012 @ 12:03 am

Love the How I Met Your Mother reference!

This post could not have come at a better time by the way…I made pancakes on Saturday, and have leftover buttermilk in my fridge that would’ve gone to waste otherwise. I’m going to make these tomorrow!

• Kristina replied: — January 31st, 2012 @ 11:04 am

Regular/Standard sized! :) Enjoy!

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 31, 2012 @ 7:07 am

i am craving one of these so badly for breakfast!

Mom — January 31, 2012 @ 9:20 am

I want one! They look so good! I like the paper wrappers…. great photos too!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 31, 2012 @ 10:59 am

I heard about Mimi’s Cafe and matter in fact I have one across the street from my work, yet I never tried it. I’d rather have homemade muffins anytime though! I am going to give your a try this weekend! I haven’t had muffins in so long!!

Deborah — January 31, 2012 @ 11:58 am

I love the honey bran muffins at Mimi’s so much, that I’ve never tried these. I guess I just need to make some at home, because they sound amazing!!

Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious — January 31, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

I love Mimi’s cafe muffins. It’s amazing how they make it moist, fluffy, and piping hot every time!

So yes, I am super excited to recreate your adapted version of Mimi’s cafe muffins. I’ll let you know how mine turns out.

Also, I loved the Barney reference :)

Koko @ Koko Likes — February 1, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

WOW these look delicious. I love the crumb topping, yum!

Stephanie — February 1, 2012 @ 9:52 pm

I’m going to have to make these. It’s funny because just last week, my husband and I were driving across the country and stopped at a Mimi’s to get some food to go. I ordered their quiche and decided to try one of their spiced buttermilk muffins and they FORGOT to put it in our bag!! I was a sad panda.

• Stephanie replied: — February 1st, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

Oh, and p.s. I made your pretzel buns the other day! Going to share them on my blog on Friday!

Sarah — July 3, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

I have a batch of these in baking right now. We’re supposed to take them camping… I don’t know they will make it. I will make a second batch! They smell DELICIOUS! Great recipe!

buttermilk spice muffins | Pink Tiger in the Kitchen — October 9, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

[...] adapted from: my life as a mrs Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in breakfast, brown [...]