Thursday, February 23, 2012

Black Bean Hummus

Black. Bean. Hummus.

Warmed. Flat. Bread. Points.

Yes, it’s as dreamy as it sounds!

Oh, & EASY PEASY, too!

A month or two ago, we got the Blendtec Blender. After being sucked into the demo at Costco for months and months… we finally bit the bullet and came home with this beauty:

{image source}

After using it now for a good amount of time, I can officially say I’m obsessed. Yes, OBSESSED. My food processor was previously my favorite go-to kichen gadget, but it has since been collecting dust since purchasing this bad boy!

The thing that has shocked me the most about it is it’s versatility… It’s not just a blender for smoothies and frozen  beverages! I’ve made restaurant style salsa, tomato sauce for my pizza, and now this black bean hummus.

The black bean hummus came out smooth and creamy and even warm (if you let it run for a bit it heats up!!!). SCORE. I cannot wait to try out the Blendtec with chickpeas to make traditional hummus (you KNOW how hard it is to get the graininess out of homemade hummus)!

Anyhow, if you don’t have a Blendtec, don’t fret – you can still make this recipe. Just use your food processor and puree the heck out if it. It will take longer to smooth out (minutes instead of mere seconds), but it will work!!

Also, for those of you considering purchasing the Blendtec. Do it. I give it 2 thumbs up – I’m a huge fan! It’s light weight, easy to clean, and such a versatile kitchen tool!

Note: I was not paid or compensated in any way, shape, or form for this product review. I purchased the Blendtec with my own money and subsequently, these opinions are my own. I only recommend/rave about products that I truly love.

Black Bean Hummus

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

1 15 ounce can of black beans in seasoned sauce, undrained
1 15 ounce can of black beans in seasoned sauce, drained
2 cloves garlic
2 stalks green onion (about 1/4 cup coarse chopped)
1/4 cup packed cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 lime, juiced (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)

Add ingredients to food processor (or blendtec). Puree until smooth and creamy.

Serve Room temperature (or pop in the microwave until hot) with warmed flatbread.

19 Responses to “Black Bean Hummus”

brandi taylor — February 23, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Delicious! I will try this today :-) :-) :-)

Lane — February 23, 2012 @ 11:16 am

Looking forward to trying this! I just need to pick up a lime. I don’t know if I have ever had black bean hummus, but I love hummus and I love black beans so I must love black bean hummus.

Cassie — February 23, 2012 @ 11:29 am

This is my kind of hummus. LOVE it and glad to read your Blendtec review…haven’t bit the bullet yet ourselves but I can’t imagine that we’ll wait much longer!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — February 23, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

This is so simple and looks amazing. It would be great with some sweet potato in a burrito!

Jenni — February 23, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

We got a Blendtec a few months ago, and we love ours too. And traditional hummus made in it is Amazing! I love black beans and cumin. And cilantro. This sounds like a great spin on classic hummus:)

Julie @ Table for Two — February 23, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

crap, i wish i had read this before this past weekend when i went in search of a food processor and i bought one — maybe I can still return it & get this instead. i’ve been craving smoothies lately and really want a good machine to blend stuff up for after-workout drinks and was going to go all ghetto and blend it in my food processor but maybe i’ll invest in a blendtec instead :) great review and what a delicious recipe you WHIPPED up hahaha, i kid, i kid :)

Alaina@ mommysmenu — February 23, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

Ooh! My fiance would love this! I can’t wait to make this!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — February 23, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

Looks delicious!

ErinsFoodFiles — February 23, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Reminds me of my favorite hummus at Whole Foods, their Black Bean Hummus. YUM!

nicole {sweet peony} — February 23, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Wow it looks so creamy & perfect! I actually thought it was a chocolate dip before I read the title :P Yum!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 24, 2012 @ 7:33 am

Yum! I have a new love for black beans and this recipe if perfect! Going to make it this weekend!!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — February 24, 2012 @ 10:05 am

Yummy, yummy, yummy. I cannot wait to try this!

Deborah — February 24, 2012 @ 11:35 am

I just got a Blendtec a few weeks ago and have used it every. single. day. Love it! And I love this hummus – must try soon!!

Kristina Mansoor — February 24, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

If you dont want grainy hummus, try simmering the chickpeas for about 15 minutes or so first. Then blend them while theyre still hot. It worked for me. Homemade hummus is so much better than the stuff in the store.

Evil Pamor — February 25, 2012 @ 10:22 pm

Okay, I have never ever heard of a Blendtec but I want one. How much do they cost?

Rhonda — February 26, 2012 @ 11:22 am

I have heard so many good things about those blenders. That hummus looks great, we are a big fan of all kinds of hummus in this house.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — February 26, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

This looks so delicious! To help with the grainy hummus issue, try removing the skins from the chickpeas. It takes awhile, but it definitely helps with the texture!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — February 27, 2012 @ 1:35 am

I have to get me this blender! I threw out my old one – it was a piece of crap – and I didn’t think I’d ever need a blender since I spent a lot of money on a food processor but since this blender seems like a goldmine, I must get this soon!!

Katie — March 7, 2012 @ 8:43 am

I have a friend who recently started making a black bean hummus and its amazing. Must try your version. Love to hear that you were sucked into the Blendtec demo… every time they are at Costco my hubby stands their for hours watching them and each time I have to convince HIM to not buy it… once of these days we will cave like you guys did! lol.