Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Zucchini, Eggplant, and Kalamata Olive Pizza

Hubs is at a conference all week for work which means three things…

1. I’ve been watching entirely too much Grey’s Anatomy on Netflix… pretty sure it’s turned me into a hypochondriac (Example: I felt a pain on the side of my head and immediately thought “OH MY GOSH, I HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR!!!” Yah… I’ve turned into THAT girl.)
  2. I’ve been making a bunch of meatless dinners! Hubs is a muscular guy and really needs his meat & protein… I on the other hand am not a huge meat person. So this week I’ve been testing out those meatless entrees.
  3. My clean up behind me guy isn’t here… so I’ve realized I am a seriously messy cook. Like SERIOUSLY. This is the mess I made making… PIZZA. Yah.:

The mess was TOTALLY worth it! This pizza was phenomenal. Crispy crust, tender veggies, and the saltiness from the Kalamata olives… oh that was my FAVORITE part. I flipping love Kalamata Olives!

Chalk this recipe up for a must-try! You won’t want to miss out on this one, folks!

Some of my other favorite meatless pizzas:

Zucchini, Eggplant, and Kalamata Olive Pizza

1 small eggplant, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 zucchini, very thinly sliced
1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives

For the Simple Pizza Sauce:
Add ingredients to Blendtec and puree until smooth and warm. If you do not have a Blendtec... puree ingredients in a food processor then heat in a saucepan until warmed through.

*Note this makes enough for 3-4 pizzas. I like to make a big batch of pizza sauce and store it in the freezer in individual servings (pull out and defrost the morning you want to use them).

For the Pizza:
Preheat oven to 500ºF (if you have a convection oven - turn the convection feature on). Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Roll pizza dough out thinly and place on the prepared jelly roll pan.

Add a thin layer of the pizza sauce (only about 1/3-1/2 cup). Sprinkle half of the cheese on the sauce (it won't look like very much). Add a thin layer of eggplant and zucchini (you will probably only need half of each). Top with a sprinkle of red onions, tomato halves, and kalamata olives. Top with remaining cheese.

The key is to not over load the pizza. A little goes a long way! Too many toppings make for soggy crusts! Also, I used a mandoline slicer to get super thin rounds of vegetables. If you don't have one- just slice them as thin as you can!

Place Pizza into hot oven and bake until golden and crispy. Using the convection option, it only took about 8-12 minutes (it will take a little longer using a regular oven). Slice and serve hot!

12 Responses to “Zucchini, Eggplant, and Kalamata Olive Pizza”

christin — February 21, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

this looks amazing!!!

natalie (the sweets life) — February 21, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

I always miss when Ryan is out of town but I totally take advantage of the time to make ‘girl food’ ;) However, we would BOTH love this pizza, yum!!!

Cassie — February 21, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

I’m a huge fan of meatless meals…they are the only reason I like it when my hubs works late. And yes on the olives, love them!

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche — February 21, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

You’ve pretty much put all my favourite things on a pizza :)

My boyfriend is working pretty much every night this week, so I’ve taken the opportunity to make a lentil dish for dinner – like your husband he’s a carnivore and turns his nose up at anything that sounds TOO vegetarian ;)

Suzanne — February 21, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

I am same way when the Hubby isn’t home for dinner…love trying meatless dishes and not hearing “is there meat in that?”

Bev Weidner — February 21, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

Mommy.

Kathryn — February 21, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

Ha, I do exactly the same when my boyfriend isn’t here. I’d love this right now – he won’t eat eggplants and it drives me mad because they’re my favourites!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 22, 2012 @ 7:32 am

The pizza, oh your pizza, looks amazing!! It’s beautiful and I love your sauce recipe!

Jersey Girl Cooks — February 22, 2012 @ 7:39 am

This pizza looks amazing! I know what you mean about watching Grey’s. I had to catch up on one season as I hadn’t watched it and thought I had a few tumors too…hedger.

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — February 22, 2012 @ 8:32 am

Oh, my. This pizza looks perfect. And, definitely totally worth a messy kitchen to get to this end result.

Shawnda — February 22, 2012 @ 10:17 am

I no longer watch medical TV shows for that very reason – there’s too much potential for an imaginary tumor :) The pizza looks awesome, the topping are some of my favorites!

Danielle — March 2, 2012 @ 10:52 am

Not only does this look amazing; it also tasted amazing! We made it last weekend when my boyfriend was home and I posted it to my own blog :) Thank you for the great recipe!!!! Oh, and to make it more “boyfriend friendly” we added pepperoni. YUMMY!