Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Corned Beef and Swiss Paninis on Rye

Irish week continues…

So, what do you do with your leftover corned beef?

Well, I’ll tell you what you SHOULD do…

Make these easy peasy hot pressed paninis! Corned Beef, Swiss, and Mustard on Rye Bread (my FAVORITE!!!!). Goodness gracious, I love Rye bread. When we eat out at breakfast diners… I ALWAYS select Rye toast when given the option! Must be the Irish blood! ;)

I actually made an entire Crockpot Corned Beef specifically to make these paninis… oh. my.

Excellent decision.

Dan (my brother), Heather (sister in-law), and Kate (cutest niece in the world) came over for dinner & miss Kate got to try her first bite of corned beef… and…

She LOVED it (I knew that Irish gene would pull through!)! ;)

Need another idea for leftover corned beef?? Try my homemade Corned Beef Hash!

Corned Beef and Swiss Paninis on Rye

Yield: 4 sandwiches

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

A tasty way to use up those St. Patty's Day corned beef leftovers...

Leftover Corned Beef (add as much or as little as you like)
8 slices Rye Bread, 2 slices per sandwich
4 slices Swiss cheese, 1 per sandwich
4-8 teaspoons Mustard, 1-2 teaspoons per sandwich
4 tablespoons salted butter, 1 tablespoon per sandwich

Build 4 sandwiches (Bread, mustard, a generous portion on sliced corned beef, a slice of swiss cheese, and lastly another slice of bread).

Add 1 tablespoon butter to a hot skillet (or griddle) and melt over medium high heat. Once the butter is nice and hot, carefully add 2 of the prepared "sandwiches" leaving a few inches between them. Place a piece of foil over them and then top with a heavy bottomed skillet (I used a cast iron), allowing the weight to press it down.

Heat for 4-5 minutes (until bottom is crisp and golden), then remove the heavy skillet, lift sandwich with spatula and add 1 more tablespoon butter. Carefully flip the sandwiches (uncooked side down) and then top again with the foil/heavy skillet. Heat for another 3-4 minutes until remaining side is golden and cheese is melted. Remove from skillet and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining sandwiches!

Note: If you have a panini press- go ahead and use that ;)

14 Responses to “Corned Beef and Swiss Paninis on Rye”

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — March 14, 2012 @ 10:03 am

She is so adorable! I was hoping you made the waffle fries & were sharing that recipe too! :)

• Tina replied: — March 14th, 2012 @ 10:08 am

they are Alexia Brand Pour them on a sheet pan and bake until crispy ;)

Julie @ Table for Two — March 14, 2012 @ 11:25 am

you have NO idea how obsessed I am with reubans and I’ve seriously been meaning to make them for a while now but haven’t gotten the chance. yours looks SO good and now that it’s 1130..it’s almost lunch time so i might go get one for lunch! btw, i LOVE alexia waffle fries..we buy them at costco so we always have them in the freezer whenever the craving hits!!

Alaina@ fabtasticeats — March 14, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

I love reubans! This looks delicious!!

Megan — March 14, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

My mind is imagining what this smells like right now and I’m STARVING!! I brought soup for lunch today – but I’m going to just go up to the restaurant near work and grab a reuben. This is just ridiculous. In all the right ways.

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — March 14, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

I’m ashamed to say I have never had a corned beef sandwich. This may be a new beginning for me.

Rachel — March 14, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

oh yum! that looks delicious! I’m definitely stealing some corned beef from who ever I know has some and making this!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 14, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

i’m totally making the crockpot corned beef STAT – OMG i want!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 14, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

Oh, I LOVE a good corned beef sandwich and this looks excellent!! Oh and the melted cheese!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — March 15, 2012 @ 3:48 am

The best part about the holidays is the part where you get to make fantastic leftovers!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 15, 2012 @ 7:37 am

Love the sandwich! I made one myself this week, first time ever having a Reuben and it was fantastic!!! You have to love Alexia Sweet Potato’s!! There my favorite!!

mom — March 15, 2012 @ 10:05 am

Yummy! Nothing like corned beef! :)

Becky — March 15, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

LOVE your plates! Where are they from???

wanda — March 25, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

This is a wonderful recipe. I love using the iron skillet to make them. Just made them today and it was as good as ever!! Thanks