Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sausage, Mozzarella, and Basil Pizza

Pizza Pizza Pizza!!! Who doesn’t love it?? I mean, seriously!

You can top it with anything and everything. You can use a traditional red sauce, or get creative by using a pesto or even salsa! Its a meal that you can customize to make everyone happy.

We love homemade pizza in our house (we probably make it about once a week). It’s fast, easy, and DELICIOUS. I honestly cannot remember the last time we ordered pizza in. It’s SO much better when made at home!

This week we were feeling the spicy sausage and fresh mozzarella. Oh, man. It’s was SOOOOOO good. I mean really REALLY good.

Oh, and did I mention… simple?! That’s the best part! Buy a ball of pizza dough from the bakery, and your favorite jarred sauce (if you don’t want to make your own)… add fresh mozzarella, hot italian sausage links, and basil and you are good to go!

Instead of ordering in pizza this week – I challenge you to try making your own! I’m warning you though, it’ll be REALLY hard to go back to chain-pizza after that!

Not into Sausage on your pizza? Try one of our other recipes!

Sausage, Mozzarella, and Basil Pizza

Yield: 1 pizza

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25-30 minutes

Total Time: 35-40 minutes

Sometimes the best things in life are the things kept simple...

For the Simple Pizza Sauce (enough for 3-4 pizzas):
1 32 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes (strain off some of the liquid if you prefer a thicker sauce)
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon sugar
3 cloves garlic

For the Pizza:
1 pound pizza dough
3/4 - 1 cup pizza sauce (above recipe or jarred sauce if you prefer)
3 links of hot italian sausage
6 ounces fresh pearl mozzarella (if you can't find the pearl mozzarella - you can also just cube a regular ball of fresh mozzarella into little 1/2" cubes)
5 basil leaves, chiffonaded
red pepper flakes

For the Simple Pizza Sauce:
Add ingredients to Blendtec and puree until smooth and warm. If you do not have a Blendtec... puree ingredients in a food processor or blender and then heat in a saucepan until warmed through.

*Note this makes enough for 3-4 pizzas. I like to make a big batch of pizza sauce and store it in the freezer in individual servings (pull out and defrost the morning you want to use them).

For the Pizza:
In a non stick skillet, cook sausages over medium high heat until browned on all sides (about 8-10 minutes). Remove sausage links from skillet, and slice into thin rounds. Add sausage back to skillet and cook for another 3-5 minutes (until sausage is fully cooked and golden). Remove to a paper towel lined plate.

Place mozzarella pearls on a second paper towel lined plate, and blot the excess moisture off of them.

Preheat oven to 500ºF (if you have a convection oven - turn the convection feature on). Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Roll pizza dough out thinly and place on the prepared jelly roll pan.

Add a thin layer of the pizza sauce (about 3/4 - 1 cup) followed by a thin layer of the cooked sausage slices. Top with the mozzarella pearls.

The key is to not over load the pizza. A little goes a long way! Too many toppings make for soggy crusts!

Place Pizza into hot oven and bake until golden and crispy. Using the convection option, it only took about 8-12 minutes (it will take a little longer using a regular oven). Remove from oven and top with fresh chiffonaded basil (and crushed red pepper flakes if desired). Slice and serve hot!

21 Responses to “Sausage, Mozzarella, and Basil Pizza”

Monica Bruno — March 6, 2012 @ 11:52 am

This looks amazing!
    Quick Question- I see that you use a Jelly Roll pan,do you prefer that over a pizza stone?

Thanks <3

• Kristina replied: — March 6th, 2012 @ 11:56 am

i use both methods… It depends on my mood – the pizza stone requires more work & i was being lazy ;) haha

I think the jelly roll pan works well if you use the convection feature (it really helps crisp up the crust). If you have a pizza stone and prefer that – use it! :)

Monica Bruno — March 6, 2012 @ 11:59 am

Good to know, thank you! :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — March 6, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

Have you tried Trader Joe’s pizza dough? It’s one of my favorite products they sell – it used be only 99 cents, but is still a deal for $1.19 in Pittsburgh.

Which recipe plugin do you use?

• Kristina replied: — March 6th, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

no – i WISH! We don’t have any Trader Joes in Florida (well i think one opened on the west coast, but it’s 4 hours away)!! I just use my Publix dough (it’s really good too).

For the recipe plug in questions – it’s a custom written code by my blog designer Lindsay of PurrDesign

Julie @ Table for Two — March 6, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

Love this. Looks amazing. My fiance (ah!) saw this on your instagram (he was surfing through my friends) and was like “wow, that looks amazing” :) hehe

• Kristina replied: — March 6th, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

eeeeeee!!! fiance, fiance, FIANCE!!!! How fun is it to say that?! ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 6, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

pizza is basically the best thing in the world. seriously, i cannot get enough of it! this one is TOTALLY screaming my name!

• Kristina replied: — March 6th, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

you and me both, girl! :)

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — March 6, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

This looks delicious! I’ve been on such a pizza making kick ever since I finally got a Kitchenaid (God bless the dough hook) so I’m always looking for new ideas for toppings!

Chels R. — March 6, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

That looks divine, nothing better than homemade pizza!

Rhonda — March 6, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

Looks delicious. I just had pistachio pizza this weekend with pistachios, shaved red onion, leeks and parmesan cheese!

Megan — March 6, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

Basil, mozzarella and red sauce – a match made in heaven!! And sausage on top, zesty! Sounds delish doll :)

Katie — March 6, 2012 @ 6:53 pm

This pizza looks to die for! What a great combination! Even though I already have dinner cooking on the stove, I regret that this is not my dinner!

Bruce Bechhold — March 6, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

I’m on Atkins and this just really puts me in a bad mood…. :-)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — March 7, 2012 @ 4:01 am

Love it! So simple yet so delicious. Why would anyone want to order delivery?

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppersj — March 7, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Yum! I need to make my own pizza! This looks fantastic and I love your photo’s!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — March 7, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

We love pizza, too. We have pizza and movie night every Friday. It is a tradition…and we tell our littles that Friday night will ALWAYS be pizza and movie night. :) This pizza looks perfect!

Jen — March 19, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

I made this on Sat night, it was FABULOUS!

Sausage, Mozzarella and Basil Pizza | Cookie Monster Cooking — July 10, 2012 @ 5:32 am

[…] Source: Adapted from My Life as a Mrs. […]

Katie — July 18, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Made this on Monday and my meat-lover husband was impressed. He was quite skeptical when I told him about it (probably thinking there was not enough meat!), but he loved it. It was the perfect combo of meat (for him) and simplicity (me). So simple, but so good.