Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hoarders…

Sorry I’ve been missing in action…

Long story short, but we had our wood floors installed last week… it all sorta happened really last minute.

Hubs used to work for a wood flooring company and we had purchased the wood for our 3rd floor about a year ago but never got around to installing it (funny how that works). Anyhow, last Monday, he inquired about having the old company do the work for us and they ended up coming on Tuesday to install (yep… had to empty out 3 rooms & closets and put them down in our living room/dining room… all in one night).

I’ve been living like this:

yah… that’s our bed, in the middle of our living room.

and my dresser drawers on my couches (the dresser was in the kitchen).

oh, and my hang up clothes were on the first floor.

To get ready in the morning I had to shower on the 3rd floor… then go to the kitchen on the 2nd floor for my undergarments… then to the family room & 1st floor to find something to wear (EXHAUSTING).

I re-wore the same outfit 3 times in one week. no joke. haha

But then we saw progress:

(^that’s our guest room & office)

(^and that’s our room!!)

Let me tell you – in the midst of all the chaos, there was SOME fun to sleeping in our living room….

Slumber Parties with Maddie:

Drinking Coffee & watching the Today show… while IN BED!!! :) haha

And when it was finally over we got to see our beautiful new floors!!!! I’m. in. love. :)

Our guest room (pardon the iphone photos):

And a close up of the gorgeousness:

We finally got to move our stuff back into our room & i decided a good Spring cleaning was in order (It felt SOOOO good to weed out my closet):

Now, the final dilemma we are having… what should we put over our headboard?????

All ideas welcome! :)

32 Responses to “Hoarders…”

Chels R. — April 10, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

That looks gorgeous! I love putting those wall decals over beds. We have Always Kiss Me Goodnight above ours. I bet Pinterest has some great ideas too :)

• Tina replied: — April 10th, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

i LOVE wall decals, but we have knockdown textured walls… so they won’t work :(

Maria — April 10, 2012 @ 5:44 pm

Congrats on the new floors! They look GREAT!

Caroline K — April 10, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

A mirror always makes a room look bigger and I personally like iron work above beds. Happy Hunting! :)

Raquel — April 10, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

I’m always scared that will fall over our heads!! I would put something veryyy ligght!!!!

Jenn — April 10, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

It looks beautiful! I am so jealous, I have been dying to rip out our carpet and put down wood floors. At this rate I think I would even be happy with just the concrete under the carpet lol

Vera — April 10, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

It looks lovely :D And my idea for above your bed: a wedding picture in old style/sepia on canvas with two smaller canvas pictures on the side for other family members or the dogs also in old style/sepia.
    Your rooms look really beautiful :D

McKenzi — April 10, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

I love all the decor and the floors are amazing! We have a large canvas print above our bed; they are light! Photos always freak me out in bedrooms, especially large ones of you and your spouse and anyone else is just weird. I love a simple large canvas panting to put a pop of color. You can actually get them blank at a craft store and pick out your own colors. Paint it messy with two thick lines to take up the top and the bottom and a thin line of dif color in the middle. Currently decorating our nursery and that’s what I’m doing. Plum on top and bottom with a light grey in the middle. SO many DIY ideas out there! Have fun!

Victoria — April 10, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

That is a tough one…..Personally I don’t like the idea of anything other than art (framed or canvases) or lettering above the bed. You mentioned that your walls were textured which rules out the vinyl letters. Would painting letters srraight onto the wall work? I have thought about freehanding one of my favorite sayings onto a wall in my bedroom. I guess it just depends HOW textured your walls are maybe. I have also seen some creative things on pinterest:

Cassie — April 10, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

They look amazing, congrats on all of the progress! Looking forward to seeing more!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — April 10, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

Gorgeous!! I want to do hardwood someday throughout the house… someday!

emily — April 10, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

Yay! They look AWESOME!

Becky — April 10, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

We just put a long shelf above our bed and I am decorating it with a large iron piece, picture frames, candles, etc. it fills the space and makes it look cozy. Love the floors!

Maureen — April 10, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

LOVE your floors! But are you sure you want to move into your bedroom?! I kind of like the “cluttered bedroom/living room” look. hee hee

Shawnda — April 10, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

It’s beautiful!

I don’t have any suggestions for the head of the bed… I’m still surfing Pinterest looking for the perfect headboard project :P

Ann — April 10, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

The floors look stunning! I have NO idea what to put over the headboard – I am decorating challenged….if I ever win the lottery, I’m going to hand over a bunch of $$$ to my sister and let her do it!

Stephanie — April 10, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

LOVE the floors!! That is very similar to the look I want for ours eventually.

As for above the bed, sunburst mirror http://pinterest.com/pin/181410691209561478/, or photos like this, http://pinterest.com/pin/181410691209553567/ or this but on a larger scale and obviously over your bed not a table :) http://pinterest.com/pin/181410691209761189/. And this is one of my favourite treatments for over a bed right now, http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.ca/2012/02/basement-progress-master-bedroom.html love the use of moulding in that one!

Kalee — April 10, 2012 @ 11:13 pm

Wow it looks so good!! :) I love the lighter color woods. I have no clue on above the headboard…I am so not creative. Have you looked at Pinterest? I love their ideas!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 10, 2012 @ 11:40 pm

The floors look great. And living in the living room actually sounds so adventurous!

As for your headboard, I’m thinking of a really nice painting.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — April 11, 2012 @ 12:28 am

Is that a Felicity American Girl doll in photo #2? I had 3 of those dolls when I was a kid!

I noticed in a comment about that you can’t do wall decals, but what about something like this, minus the lettering of course: http://pinterest.com/pin/218987600601056625/

The floors look gorgeous!

brandi — April 11, 2012 @ 8:35 am

the floors look gorgeous!

and i want that guest room in my house! :)

Mom — April 11, 2012 @ 9:35 am

The floors look SO good! Love them! Great choice and the rooms look so cozy and nice…. Love my guest room :))

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppersj — April 11, 2012 @ 10:10 am

The floors fabolous! When we re-did our floors, we pulled up the carbet and found smushed cheerios, army men and other weird things. I can’t believe the people who owned the house before us just layed carpet over food and toys. So weird.

Over your head board, I would put something light, maybe a wreath or add those wall stickers to go over the besd. I can’t thik of what there called but there decals. There are some gorgeous designs. That way you have something over your bed with out the worry of it falling on your head.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 11, 2012 @ 10:15 am

Oh Tina, the room looks beautiful!! I am digging all of the Pinterest ideas the other commenters suggested, the wrought iron hanging photo frames is probably my favorite :)

Jennifer — April 11, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

We had a similar problem on a large wall. We ended up framing a nautical chart of a place we both loved since we are big water people. Its cheap to buy at a any marine store and we had it framed professionally. Looks great :)

Jenny — April 11, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

beautiful! giving me the itch, i want some pretty wood floors!

Stephanie — April 11, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

they look great! I LOVE those lamps in your bedroom- where are they from!?!

• Tina replied: — April 11th, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

Target! :) Lamps & shades!

Lauren — April 11, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

It looks beautiful. It must feel like a whole new house! Is that an anthro comforter? I think I have the same one. Love it!

Diana — April 12, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

The floors look great! How about a large black Quatrefoil mirror?

Dianna @ The Kitchen Prep — April 14, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

Pretty floors = so worth complete temporary chaos. :) I just saw this DIY idea for decorating walls on Pinterest the other day – the first dance song lyrics from your wedding applied to separate canvases. Kinda hard to imagine, but here’s the pin: http://pinterest.com/pin/214343263484679775/ Happy decorating!

Anita at Hungry Couple — April 25, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

Just catching up on your blog here, Tina. Everything looks great. Is little Maddie a tri-color Cavalier? We have a blenheim colored one.