Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fattoush

Fattoush. Another scary word for those unfamiliar with Middle Eastern cuisine. Essentially it’s the Middle Eastern version of a panzanella salad… using toasted pita bread instead of toasted bread cubes. Add in some cucumber, tomatoes, green onion, fresh chopped Mint & Parsley and a dressing that is to die for.

The dressing is simple and consists of garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, Sumac (a purplish spice that has the most delicious lemony flavor!), and occasionally some other spices. I’m telling you though, this simple dressing is one of my all-time favorites! I ate this salad topped with leftover shish tawook all week long and never once got sick of it! SO SO good.

Anyhow, I’m somewhere up thousands of feet in the air right now on a plane en route to Cleveland (probably wishing I had some of this salad! UGH airport food…). We are headed up to Ohio for a big family re-union/celebration of my grandparents 50 years of marriage! Super exciting. I may try and get a couple of posts up while I’m out of town, but if you want to follow us along on our vacation head on over to Instagram (Username: mylifeasamrs), Facebook, or Twitter. :)

Catch ya’ll later!!

Fattoush

Light and fresh Pita Salad with a delicious lemony sumac dressing!

For the Dressing:
2 lemons, juiced (about 1/2 cup)
3 cloves garlic, grated

1 hot house cucumber, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup scallions
1/4 cup mint, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped

For the Dressing:
Whisk together ingredients in a bowl (or mason jar) and refrigerate until ready to use.

For the Salad:
Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Cut tortillas into 1" strips and place in an even layer on a cookie sheet. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle with a touch of salt and sumac. Bake until beginning to crisp then flip, spray again, and repeat until golden and crisp. Should only take about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool to touch, and break into bit sized pieces.

Add remaining ingredients to a large bowl along with the pita crisps. Toss together with desired amount of dressing and serve.

12 Responses to “Fattoush”

LizA — July 25, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

Looks devine — but is there a half-wit standin for sumac? I’d hate to have to make a trip to the fancy spice store for just that. The temptation is too much while I’m there!

Congrats to your Grandparents! My folks hit 5-0 next year :)

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — July 25, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

This sounds just like the fattoush we made in my cooking class :) The dressing is so good! Kiiinda makes me wanna put sumac, parsley and mint on every salad I ever eat…

Lane @ Supper for a Steal — July 25, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

Sounds delicious. I would leave out the cukes but everything else sounds great!

Leslie — July 25, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

ohhhh, I have never heard of this! It sounds fabulous!

Baking Serendipity — July 25, 2012 @ 9:35 pm

I’ve never made this before, but it looks delicious! Enjoy Cleveland :) I live there now…and love it!

Ashley — July 25, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Okay, this looks delicious. Love the vibrant colors! Say hi to Cleveland for me!! I won’t be back til the holidays. Have fun!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — July 26, 2012 @ 7:29 am

Looks amazing and is so simple! I love everything in it!! Bookmarking this recipe!

natalie@thesweetslife — July 27, 2012 @ 3:57 pm

i love fattoush—yours looks fab!

have fun in cleveland–we just celebrated my grandparents 50th and it was fantastic :)

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — July 27, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

i like adding Sumac on my foccacia and tried it once on quinoa. I have to try your salad, sounds great!

Anita at Hungry Couple — August 1, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

I like fattoush when it’s properly made but I few times that I’ve ordered it, the pita had been sitting under the salad too long and became soggy. Yours looks crispy and delicious.

Pascale — November 13, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

You can add radish and green pepper … And usually a very important ingredient that I only found once in the USA is missing that gives this salad a unique taste : parslynn

Holly — January 3, 2013 @ 7:19 pm

OMG! I will say it again..OMG!! I have only ate this type of salad once at a cafe and I just loved the flavors. I was so happy when I saw your recipe and actually ordered Sumac online just to try this..I was not disappointed! It exceeded my expectations..the dressing was spot on! I usually have bad luck trying to make homemade dressings but this came out spectacular! light, fresh, lemony and its just a beautiful, healthy light salad full of flavor! Thank you! Thank you!! I am excited to try more recipes from you!