Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Middle Eastern Shish Tawook with Garlic Aioli

I think a lot of people are indimidated by Middle Eastern food… why? I’m not sure. I grew up around it and have adored it for as long as I can remember! Middle Eastern fare is know for it’s powerhouse of flavor: Garlic, Lemon, Olive oil, yogurt, mint, parsley, cinnamon and allspice (to name a few!)… you cannot go wrong!

Let’s talk Shish Tawook {Shh-ish Tah-wook]. The name may sound scary but it’s really simple and REALLY delicious. Marinated chicken kabob-ed (is that a word?), grilled, and served with a zippy garlic aioli (I lightened mine up by using half mayo & half yogurt). Easy Peasy.

This meal has got to be my all-time favorite meal! I’m pretty sure I could never get sick of it. It’s light, healthy, and PACKED with flavor (my FAVORITE flavors to be precise!). The acidity in the yogurt, tomato paste, and lemon juice make the chicken so incredibly tender! Then you add in the garlic and spices for the WIN!

WARNING: There is a LOT of garlic in this dish… may not be a good 1st date meal! ;) haha

Come back tomorrow and I’ll be sharing a Middle Eastern salad that goes GREAT with this meal! Fattoush. Get excited people!

And PLEASE, if you haven’t experienced Middle Eastern food… what are you waiting for?! Get on google, find a nearby Middle Eastern Restaurant, and prepare to fall in love.

Middle Eastern Shish Tawook with Garlic Aioli

Yield: 4-5 servings

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Grilled chicken kabobs marinated in greek yogurt, garlic, lemon, tomato paste, and spices. Goes great with Israeli Couscous and grilled vegetables!

For the Shish Tawook:
3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed into 1 1/2 inch cubes
3/4 cup fat free greek yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, grated
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 lemon, zested & juiced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

For the Garlic Aioli:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup fat free greek yogurt
2-3 cloves garlic, grated
1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

For the Shish Tawook:
Add all ingredients to a gallon sized resealable bag, push out the excess air, and seal it up. Work the marinade around the chicken using your hands until the chicken looks thoroughly coated. Allow to marinade for at least 2 hours (best if done the night before).

Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Kabob the chicken on metal skewers or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water. Spray the grill with non-stick cooking spray and add the chicken kabobs. Grill for a 3-6 minutes on each side until chicken is cooked completely (thermometer should read at least 165° F when inserted into the thickest piece). Remove from grill, cover with foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

For the Garlic Aioli:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and set aside until ready to use. Note: You can make this the night before and refrigerate until day of.

19 Responses to “Middle Eastern Shish Tawook with Garlic Aioli”

Kathryn — July 24, 2012 @ 10:15 am

I adore the flavours in Middle Eastern food and am very lucky to live just off a street with some of the amazing restaurants so I never cook it at home. I probably should change that though & this dish is calling my name!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — July 24, 2012 @ 10:36 am

I need more middle eastern food in my life – because this looks ridic good!! Wowzer!!

JYag — July 24, 2012 @ 10:40 am

oh my! this looks and sounds amazing (I’m a little too obsessed with garlic, mm!!!)… But, what would you suggest I do if I can’t grill it? We aren’t allowed to have grills in my apartment and my griddler isn’t seasoned yet so everything tastes like plastic (ick!). Do you think I could pop it in the oven? or would that ruin the dish? I’m pretty new to cooking so I am always nervous to change recipes or to figure out my own way.

• Tina replied: — July 24th, 2012 @ 11:17 am

Grilled is definitely the preferred method of cooking, however if you plan on baking it in the oven, I suggest using the oven-safe cooling rack inside of a sheet pan method (make sure you spray it with non-stick spray first) so air can circulate around the chicken (I’d bake it at 350°F until the chicken reaches a minimum of 165°F). I haven’t done this method yet, so I’m not sure how well it would work, but it’s a suggestion! :)

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — July 24, 2012 @ 10:52 am

I love a good quinoa tabbouleh, and this marinade for chicken sounds out of this world!! You’re amazing with all these recipes you crank out! ;)

Rachel Cooks — July 24, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

One of my favorites! My husband and I get Lebanese carry-out at least once a week (bad for the wallet!), I really need to start making my own.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — July 24, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

I took a Middle Eastern cooking class at our local Food Co-Op recently (we made fattoush, falafel, tabbouleh, etc) and it was so much fun! Lucky you for getting exposed to Lebanese food from a young age :) This marinade sounds awesome!

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter — July 24, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

We LOVE Middle Eastern food! Ben is 25% Syrian, and his Grandmother 100%…so we eat a lot of it. It took an amazing hole-in-the-wall restaurant in California to get me to like it, but now I claim it as my favorite food. So, can’t wait to see more recipes on here!! :)

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — July 24, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

Mmmm…Middle Easter flavors are the best!!! This looks so delicious! :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — July 24, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

I’ve never heard of this dish but there is not one ingredient I don’t like! Looks delish!

Margaret — July 25, 2012 @ 10:24 am

Shish Tawook is my FAVORITE! Yum! Love that I can taste the garlic for days :)

Mollie @ Sprinkles of Life — July 25, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

I love middle eastern food! Wne we vacationed in San Diego this May we found an awesome, really authentic Greek and Lebonese restaurant that had a buffet so we got to try many different dishes. It was actually my first time having a gyro and now I am HOOKED!! thanks for the recipes!

Felicia — July 26, 2012 @ 9:37 am

omgosh I can’t wait to try this…it looks AMAZING!! Middle Eastern food has always been a favorite of mine. There are some awesome Lebanese restaurants around me, and the food is to die for. I never even thought of trying it at home, but now I’ll definitely have to!

marlina — July 28, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

Um, YUM!! Love dishes like this, bet that aioli is delish

Desiree — July 29, 2012 @ 8:51 am

So….there’s a place in downtown WPB that has shish tawook and I cannot wait to make it at home! you’re the bestest!!! xo

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — July 31, 2012 @ 12:22 am

OMG! You have no idea how long my Hubs and I have been looking for this recipe! We had this dish once in Middle Eastern restaurant and have been hooked since then. I can’t wait to try it at home! Thank you!!

Anita at Hungry Couple — August 1, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

I also love middle eastern food and I’ve had variations of this dish. Yum!

Aubree — August 27, 2012 @ 2:07 am

i made this with fattoush for dinner tonight. the alioli is spot on. excellent recipe- i hope you post more middle eastern/mexican recipes…those are my faaaaaavorites. :)

Shish Tawook Chicken with Garlic Aioli | Chasing Capers — May 9, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

[...] pinned this recipe from My Life as a Mrs. as soon as I saw it, being such a garlic lover, but have no idea why I waited so long! It is so [...]