Monday, August 27, 2012

Fried “Green” Tomatoes with Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch

While everyone else in So. Florida was hunkering down for Tropical Storm Isaac (way too much hype for a tropical storm people!), Hubs and I were out shopping for supplies to re-make these fried “green” tomatoes from the other night. As I mentioned yesterday, I catered a 5 course Southern Food and Beer pairing for 12.

I was too busy running around to get a good photo of the food… so unfortunately we HAD to make them again (oh, darn…)! Can you guys sense my sarcasm?! hah

Beer Pairing Course 1: Fried Green Tomatoes with Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch

Hubs was THRILLED to have me make these again… so off we went to hunt down some green tomatoes. Let me tell you, the hardest part about making fried green tomatoes this time of year? Finding the daggum tomatoes.

Yah, yah. I know green tomatoes are totally a “Spring thing” but I seriously wanted them for our Southern Themed menu! I’m a little late to the game, but what can ya do?!

We searched and searched before the party and came up empty handed, then my mom found one basket-full at her Publix (45 minutes away) and brought them up to me (saved)!

Well, we weren’t as fortunate to find them on our second go around, but we DID find some firm under-ripe yellow tomatoes (hence the ” in the fried “Green” Tomatoes).

Guess what? It totally worked and they were delicious! So FYI: you really can use any firm under-ripe tomato that your little heart desires.

You’re welcome.

Ya’ll these are so. stinking. delicious. The addition of the Panko was and excellent decision on my part (if I do say so myself!) ;) It makes these guys super crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside! Perfection!

Even the tomato haters will get down with these. Trust me. I had 2 tomato haters at the table and both cleaned their plates AND actually enjoyed it!

Winning.

The Beer that hubs selected for this course was the Southampton Publick House Double White. Since beer isn’t really my thing, I’m going to hand this part over to the hubs. I’d just give you the ol’ “it was a beer… it worked.”

Oh, and don’t forget to come back tomorrow for Course 2: Spinach Salad with HOT. BACON. DRESSING. (drool…)

A word from the hubs on the Beer selection:

We paired the Fried Green Tomatoes with the South Hampton Publick House Double White. This beer is a witbier or “white ale”. Witbiers are a Belgian style ale which use wheat in the grain bill and are left unfiltered which result in the hazy “white” color. The Double White boasts a 6.6 ABV (Alcohol by Volume) and 21 IBUs (International Bittering Units; the higher the number the more “hoppy” the beer). It’s bright and refreshing with medium carbonation with hints of lemon peel, sour citrus and coriander notes with a medium mouthful. It plays perfectly with the acidity of the green tomatoes and the heat from the spicy ranch dipping sauce.

Other Close Options (if you can’t find South Hampton Double White):

• Avery White Rascal White Ale
  • Hoegaarden Original White Ale
  • Blue Moon Belgian White Ale

Fried Green Tomatoes with Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch

Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch

For the Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk (+ additional regular milk to thin)
1 tablespoon Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Seasoning
1-2 tablespoon green (Jalapeno) Tabasco Sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper to taste

dash of cayenne (optional)

For the Fried Green Tomatoes:
3 medium, firm green tomatoes (or any firm under-ripe tomatoes)
Salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 egg
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup Canola oil

For the Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch:

Whisk all ingredients together until combined, adding additional milk until desired consistency. Refrigerate until ready to use.

For the Fried Green Tomatoes:
Rinse and dry tomatoes thoroughly. Cut tomatoes into 1/2 inch thick rounds (3-4 slices per tomato). Season both sides of the tomato rounds with a sprinkle of salt and allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Set up assembly line of 3 shallow rimmed dishes. In the first dish, mix the flour and Cajun seasoning. In the second dish, whisk the buttermilk and egg. In the third and final dish, mix the Panko bread crumbs and cornmeal.

Heat the Canola oil in a skillet (or fill a deep fryer with additional oil if using) over medium heat (keep it around 350º-375ºF). Dredge tomato rounds in the flour mixture, coating both sides and shaking off the excess. Next dip in the buttermilk-egg mixture and then the cornmeal-Panko mixture.

In the skillet (or deep fryer), fry half of the prepared tomato slices at a time (don't over crowd the pan). It should take 3-5 minutes per each (or until golden brown). Drain tomatoes on a paper towel lined platter. Serve hot with Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch.

Fried Green Tomatoes Adapted from: Simply Recipes

The Ranch: My Life as a Mrs

29 Responses to “Fried “Green” Tomatoes with Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch”

Shawnda — August 27, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Our “Ruby Moon” is a Belgian-style wit and it *kills* with spicy foods. I love all the textures and the spicy ranch. And it’s far too early to be this hungry :)

• Tina replied: — August 27th, 2012 @ 8:40 am

I don’t believe you… we should probably come taste for ourselves ;) haha

Rachel Cooks — August 27, 2012 @ 8:55 am

Love the photos! Sounds like such a fun event that you helped throw–can’t wait to see the rest of the recipes!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — August 27, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Ha – so glad your mom came to the rescue! These look crazy delicious, Tina!!! :)

Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker — August 27, 2012 @ 9:44 am

I swoon over your photos Tina!! Love this idea – I have never tried fried tomatoes before!!

• Tina replied: — August 27th, 2012 @ 10:08 am

DO IT!!! This was my first attempt and they turned out SO good (much easier than I thought!)

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — August 27, 2012 @ 9:56 am

I just had my first experience with fried green tomatoes at Founding Farmers in DC, and I am OBSESSED now. I’ve been too scared to make them in case I don’t live up to the amazingness of FF, but this recipe might have swayed me.

Heather @ Heather's Dish — August 27, 2012 @ 11:22 am

i sense a HUGE obsession coming on! these look amazing!

katie — August 27, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

You go girl–a food and beer pairing for 12 sounds like quite the task! I love fried green tomatoes and yours sound spectacular!

Mom — August 27, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

The whole meal was delicious! SO good…actually “Mr. Incredible” brought you the green tomatoes – haha :))

The Redneck Princess — August 27, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

Fried green tomatoes are seriously my favorite food EVER…can’t wait to try your version!!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — August 27, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

Ohhhh man – I’m all over this – and with a witbier – Done and done!! XO!

Erin — August 27, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

I can’t find honest to goodness green tomatoes anywhere this year so this is a great idea. I can’t wait to make it.

Erin – ekcantcook.blogspot.com

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — August 27, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

They look so perfect! I’m a tomato hater, but not so much that I wouldn’t try some fried and dipped in tabasco!!

shelly (cookies and cups) — August 27, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

Hi. My name is Shelly. I’m from Texas and I’ve never had a fried green tomato.
    I’m glad I got that off my chest…now, off to rectify this whole FGT issue…

• Tina replied: — August 27th, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

oh. em. gee. Isn’t that illegal in Texas?!

Leslie — August 27, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

So much hype for the storm. It has hardly rained here. I can NEVER find green tomatoes here either.

Julie @ Table for Two — August 27, 2012 @ 10:01 pm

these look SO good and perfectly fried. i have been craving these!!

Lily — August 27, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

These actually look amazing and I despise tomatoes! How have you been feeling since your surgery? Hope all is well! :)

Sues — August 27, 2012 @ 11:44 pm

Awesome idea! I just had fried green tomatoes out at dinner the other night and they were good… But would have been 10 times better if there were jalapenos and tabasco ranch involved!

Good luck with Issac :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — August 28, 2012 @ 8:00 am

Fabulous idea! The jalapeno ranch dressing sounds crazy good!!!!

Bree — August 28, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

Oh yum! And I bet I would love that beer since Hoegarden is my favorite!

now it’s really been awhile! | running in the windy city — August 28, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

[...] the meantime, i have been drooling over these fried green tomatoes today – they are on my to make list once things settle down a little bit – From My Life as a [...]

Allegra @ItsOnWithZwaan — August 29, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

I have never tried a fried green tomato, but you have sold me! Can’t wait for a chance to make these.

Anita at Hungry Couple — September 10, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

Boy, those look good. And yes, it’s just TERRIBLE when I don’t get a good photo of something delicious and I’m forced to make it again! :)

Desiree — September 13, 2012 @ 9:09 am

So, for real – I know all the brewery’s in the area & the distributers…lets do a sponsored beer dinner! You cook, I promote, they give beer, and guests pay!? :) Or – the 4 of us can get together, lol!!!

Nom nom nom…. Dinner time! | running in the windy city — September 17, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

[...] reason to make some good ole comfort food.  i had been eyeing the fried green tomatoes from my life as a mrs blog and we had the ingredients for the guac and goat cheese recipe that has become a favorite.  [...]

Fried Green Tomato BLTs with Spicy Buttermilk Ranch Spread « Blonde Ambition — September 26, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

[...] & Ranch Sauce loosely based on Fried Green Tomatoes with Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch from My Life as a Mrs. Idea for Fried Green Tomato BLTs from A Cozy Kitchen Share [...]

Things I like Thursday | Crazy Jamie's Blog — October 18, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

[...] This looked and sounded SO good to me and its Fried Green tomatoes, and you know how much I LOVE Fried Green Tomatoes! Fried “Green” Tomatoes with Jalapeno Tabasco Ranch [...]