Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What to Expect: Endometrial Laparoscopy

I’ve been a bit scarce around here as of lately so I thought I’d fill ya’ll in. For the most part, I try to keep things “light” around here… and FOOD-centered. On occasion I’ve gotten serious & real with ya’ll. Today is one of those days. You’ve been warned! ;)

If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know that the hubs and I want to be parents more than anything, but it hasn’t been something that has come easy to us. I don’t talk about our journey a lot, but the few times that I have, I’ve gotten such incredible feedback from ya’ll… and an outpouring of encouragement, prayers (which I am so thankful for), and friendships formed through this strange common bond of infertility that SO many women struggle with. It blows my mind.

The further I get into this whole process (for lack of a better word), the more I realize it helps to hear other people’s stories and tips/pointers for the various stages/procedures along the way. No one really talks about it so it’s SUCH an unknown and scary thing. You really don’t know what to expect unless you know someone who’s been there…  or you google search the heck out of it. haha

We are nearing 2 very long years of trying to conceive (TTC), so here’s a little background since I’ve really only gone into parts of it.

Our TTC Timeline (thus far):

• October 2010 – Started TTC (around the same time my bro and sister in-law announced their pregnancy)
  • June 17, 2012 – My beautiful niece was born
  • July 4th 2011 – BFP – Finally pregnant after 9 long months of TTC
  • August 2011 – Devastating Miscarriage at 7 1/2 – 8 weeks
  • September 2011 through April 2012 – TTC again (on our own) under recommendation of our regular OBGYN
  • April 2012 – Started seeing a Fertility Specialist
  • April-May 2012 – Blood Tests & Semen analysis – Everything coming back completely NORMAL (plenty of eggs, confirmation of regular ovulation, and sperm count/motility normal)… Incredibly frustrating not knowing WHY we still couldn’t get pregnant!
  • June 5th 2012 – Ultrasound (Showing normal/healthy uterus)
  • June 10th 2012 – Hysterosalpingogram (flushing of fallopian tubes with dye – showing no blockages or cysts)
  • June & July 2012 – Continuing TTC hoping that the flushing of my tubes would be helpful.
  • August 10th, 2012 – Endometrial Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy
And that brings you up to date I had my Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy Friday and I am in recovery mode. Before I forget all the details, I wanted to outline the whole procedure for those of you that will be going through this same procedure. I know (for me at least) that talking with other women who had been through it helped me prepare for the surgery/recovery.

What surgery day looks like:

• We arrived at the hospital at 5:45 am to check in (it was FUH.REEZING. Wish I had a sweater). No jewelry, make up, contacts, hair ties with metal clasps on them allowed!
  • Nurse called me back by myself (hubs had to wait in the lobby for about 30 minutes).
  • The nurse had me change into my hospital gown, socks with anti-slip grips on the bottom, and a lovely hair net (super hot):

(Please excuse the bags under my eyes – looking ROUGH sans makeup)

• I went through all the pre-op questions with the nurse confirming any allergies, birthday, weight etc… and then I got my IV put in.
  • Then because I have this thing called Factor 5 Leiden which means I have a higher propensity to develop blood clots, I had to have an injection of blood thinners before surgery (IN. MY. STOMACH… ugh that was the most painful thing – WAY worse than the IV). Just keeping it real.
  • Hubs was finally brought back to my pre-op room where we waited… and waited… and WAITED.

(The man is a TROOPER)

• The Anesthesiologist, Nurse Anesthetist, and Operating Room Nurse all stopped by to introduce themselves and see if I had any questions… we were just waiting on the doc to show up.
  • 8:00 am – Doc shows up and goes over the surgery with us and makes sure I don’t have any questions.
  • Nurse Anesthetist came back and injected me with some sort of relaxant and they started rolling me out of the room. I got the giggles and remember saying, “WOW! That stuff works FAST!” and things started getting really hazy. I remember them moving me onto the OR table and asking me to scoot down. And then I was O.U.T. – don’t remember a thing after that (so the next few steps were filled in later by the hubs).
  • Doctor started surgery & halfway through had the OR Nurse call hubs’ phone to let him know how things were going.
  • Once the surgery was over, the doc came out to hubs to show him photos and fill him in on what he found.
  • Next, I remember waking up in the recovery room and seeing my doctor there. He said something to me which I really don’t remember. Then he came back a little while later and asked me if I remember what he told me… Nope. Not a thing. haha
  • They wheeled me back to my post-op room where hubs & my mom were waiting for me. Hubs informed me that I was not allowed to eat Mexican food for a few days. He said I looked like a little kid who was just told their puppy was dead and I kept saying, “But whyyy??? I don’t understand…” See I told you guys I love Mexican food. haha
 (No Mexican food???)
  • They immediately had me get up, use the bathroom, and walk around… I almost passed out so they had me lay back down, pumped me with another bag of fluids and wait for my blood pressure to rise.
  • Once I was able to walk around without getting dizzy they came and discharged me and sent me home.
  • SUCH. A. BLUR.

Pre-Op and Post-Op Tips:

• Make up the couch before you go… Pillows, blanket, etc… you do NOT want to be dealing with that post surgery. I was SO glad I did this.
  • Wear baggy clothes to surgery & underwear that fall below your bellie button but above your pubic bone (you do NOT want them touching your stitches).
  • Bring a pillow for the car ride home. I had to drive an HOUR home after surgery and was so thankful to have a pillow… I was able to PASS out.
  • Bring a bowl in case you are nauseas on the way home… I was fine but I’ve heard some people get really sick.
  • Take your pain meds! I was all tough and didn’t think I needed them the first day and then the drugs from the operating room wore off instantaneously at about 8:00 pm and I had a MISERABLE hour of waiting for the pain pills to kick in. We’re talking tears/meltdown/hyperventilation/hubs wanting to bring me to the ER… yah, not fun.
  • The SNOOGLE was my life-saver. I bought this for my short lived pregnancy last summer, but this “pregnancy” pillow has turned out to be the perfect post surgery pillow. I propped it up against another pillow on the couch and laid in it on my back with my neck resting on one end (the propped up side) and the backs of my knees resting on the other end… it cradled me like a baby and this was the only way I could sleep for 3 nights.
  • Sorry if it’s TMI, but stool softeners/fiber/probiotics are a necessity. Pain meds/Muscle Relaxers will STOP.YOU.UP.
  • Gas-X… and not for the kind of gas you are thinking of. They actually blow you up with gas to perform the surgery (see image bel0w). I was SHOCKED by the pain and discomfort of the pain in my shoulder and under my ribcage from the remaining gas in my body. It hurt WAY worse than my actually stomach/surgery area did.

(Image Source)

• Stock fridge with Gatorade, Ginger Ale (in case you are nauseas), and tea (my throat was super sore/dry from being intubated.
  • Have someone there for you… you’ll need it (physically and emotionally). Hubs literally had to lift me off the couch every time I needed to go to the bathroom, help me shower/dress, get food & drinks for me… etc (That man is a SAINT).
So there you have it: What to expect if you have to undergo Endometrial Laparoscopy!
I’m currently 4 days post-op and doing really well. A little sore but nothing major. No more pain pills, and I’m back at work. Having the weekend (PLUS Monday) was necessity and I’m glad I took the time I needed.
So, what did they find? I have had Stage 2 endometriosis (not too severe but little spots all over my uterus & multiple other organs) and a small cyst on one of  my ovaries. The doctor was able to remove EVERYTHING he found (Praise the Lord – HUGE answer to prayer)!

Lessons I’ve Learned & Other Thoughts:

My God is who He says He is.

• He is GOOD: Psalm 136:1 “Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! His faithful love endures forever.”
  • He has a PLAN: Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
  • He promises PEACE: Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

He is building character in Mike & I through this and we are learning to find the JOY and HONOR in that…

• This post “From Mud to Miracles” says it all (Her whole series on Infertility is WONDERFUL).
  • James 1:2-4 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
  • James 1:12 “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
  • Psalm 27:14, “Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.”

“Biblically, waiting is not just something we have to do until we get what we want. Waiting is part of the process of becoming what God wants us to be.” – John Ortborg

My husband is a Rock. Star.

• I’ve said it before, but every day I mean it even more. I truly can’t imagine anyone else by my side through all of this. Mike has known the things to say, the things NOT to say, when I’ve just needed a hug, when I’ve needed to laugh, and when to just let me cry. This whole journey has brought us even closer together… I can’t even explain it. I think that will equip us to be better parents than we may have been previously.

How important it is to have a Church home.

• We have been so incredibly overwhelmed by the love, prayers, and support from our church family. God brought us to a new church back in February and it quickly became our church home. We’ve been so blessed by them.
Alright, I think I’ll step off my soap box now! ;) I just really felt called to write about this and I sincerely hope that this will be of help/encouragement to someone out there! If anyone has any other questions about this surgery/our journey, please feel free to shoot me an email {kristina@mylifeasamrs.com} and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible! Thanks for reading and for following our story, and most importantly for your prayers and friendships along the way! Ya’ll are THE. BEST.

73 Responses to “What to Expect: Endometrial Laparoscopy”

Gina — August 14, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

I’ve been following your blog for the wonderful recipes and just wanted to reach out to you letting you know that you and your hubs are in my prayers. My husband and I have been TTC for 4 years and you name it, I’ve had it. I will send you an email with more info on our journey.

Emily Nicoll — August 14, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

You’re beautiful Mrs. Wiley! Will continue lifting up prayers!

• Tina replied: — August 21st, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

thanks love!

brandi — August 14, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

sending you a great big hug ((())) i remember how painful that gas was the morning after i had the same surgery – i literally thought i was dying.

i’m so glad he was able to get everything!! thinking of you guys :) weird that you posted this today – i was just about to email you and check to see how things were going.

Cassie — August 14, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

You are a jewel for sharing all of this. You are right though – it’s sickening how prevalent infertility is. I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 14, I’ve had a couple cysts removed and a couple more rupture so I can relate on that level…the pain in the jaw from the gas? Terrible! I’m so glad to hear you are doing ok and will continue to pray for you guys. You are so strong!! xo

Heather @ Heather's Dish — August 14, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

oh honey. WOW. i’m so glad that i read all of this and so happy to know that God is using you (and will continue to use you) in such incredible ways. we haven’t struggled with infertility, but we did have a devastating miscarriage before conceiving our little boy and i swear my entire world came crashing down. but God built me up, used the experience to help other women, and used it to make me rely on him.

i’ll be praying for you guys, that you will always be reminded of God’s goodness and glory and love :) and, of course, that there’s a little one on the way very soon :)

• Tina replied: — August 21st, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

thank you so much Heather!

Emily — August 14, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

Hi! I’m so glad you are recovering and doing well, and that the docotor was able to get everything. I thought I’d share some of my story with you. My husband and I have been married now 6 years, and 4 years ago we decided we wanted to be parents…easier said than done. I was diagnosed with endomet. when I was a teen, so we knew it would be hard. After several months of trying, we went to the fertility doc. I had a laparscopy done and they found a grapefruit size cyst on my right ovary ( Although I wasnt having severe pain) He went in and drained it. Six months later I went to the hospital in severe pain and had emergency surgery bc the cyst had came back, bigger. My right fallopian tube twisted itself around. The doctor said it was such a mess when he opened me up, he had to remove the ovary and my fallopian tube. This was in 2008. I had one miscarriage in 2011 ( 6-7 weeks). We had learned to put all of our trust in God. Going through that really taught me that God is in control, and there was nothing we could do other than pray and remain faithful, pray, pray, pray :) This past May God blessed us with the sweetest baby girl! My miracle baby! God is wonderful. I am praying for you and your husband. Keep strong and trust in him :)

• Tina replied: — August 21st, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

thank you so much for the encouragement & prayers!

Sara — August 14, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

Hope you’re back to 100% soon! I’ve experienced two miscarriages and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. It’s so hard to not fall into despair and be angry, but you’re right, having God in your home/family is so important and uplifting. About a month ago in church, the pastor brought up a story about his sister-in-law having a miscarriage and though she was in pain, at a loss and devastated, she said that she was honored that God thought so highly of her, to present her with this challenge. :) Even though I was crying during the service what she said brought a smile to my face. After the service, I turned to my husband and said, “God thinks we’re awesome!” Ha ha. He wouldn’t give us anything that we can’t handle and he has a plan. Many hugs to you and the hubs!

• Tina replied: — August 21st, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

you ARE awesome! ;) Love that story!

daphne — August 14, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

I stumbled to your space reading about ice-cream and here am I, thinking that God brought me to read this page for a reason! May our heavenly Father bless you and Mike with a bub soon. I totally understand this journey. You guys are brave!

Rachel Cooks — August 14, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

I’ve had this window open for about two hours now because I keep thinking I’ll think of something incredibly insightful or supportive to say. All I’ve got is that I’ve prayed for ya. And I’m going to keep praying for you. I’m thankful that you are a believer and have God’s word to support you through this, but still wish you weren’t going through it. You’re very brave to be sharing your journey. I’m sure you are helping many people more than you will ever know. xoxo

• Tina replied: — August 21st, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

thanks so much girl! xox

Pam — August 14, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

T: David and I lit a candle for you after Mass Sunday and said a please, please, pleeease give them a baby prayer. My babies are almost grown and I need one to spoil. Love you.

• Tina replied: — August 21st, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

:) thanks Pam!

Victoria — August 14, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

Wow! What a journey you two are on. Glad you have such a great guy by your side! My favorite part of this post was the very last but where you talked about God being who He says He is and all that you are learning/thankful for through this.

I have to say, I am not there yet, but if I ever go through it, your words will be there to encourage me!

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter — August 14, 2012 @ 11:24 pm

Tina, I’m so glad you shared this! What a blessing you’ve been to not only all of your readers, friends and family, but to me in an immense way. I love you, girl! Continuing to pray for you in this journey and so thankful that you know the grace of God to keep you strong through this. Massive hugs, my friend!

• Tina replied: — August 21st, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

love you friend! we’re praying for you guys too xoxo

Stephanie — August 14, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

Sending lots of prayers your way. My husband and I are not in the baby making mode yet, but I often fear that something will be wrong and we won’t be able to conceive. All you can do is hope and pray…God is good and he has plans for all of us! I know a family is in your future…hang in there!! You have a huge following that are here to pray for you and support you!

Jessica — August 14, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

You are so strong Tina! I admire you SO much and love that you are sharing your journey. You & Mike are going to be the best parents. Love ya girl!

Kelsey — August 15, 2012 @ 12:02 am

What a beautifully honest post. Your candor and humor will undoubtedly be so helpful to so many women. Thank you for sharing this and sharing your Biblical perspective along with it. After all, we are nothing without Him.

Michelle — August 15, 2012 @ 2:46 am

Thank you for sharing! You looked just lovely in your pre-op photo. :o)

shelly (cookies and cups) — August 15, 2012 @ 7:42 am

This is such a great thing to share. Love your honesty, you will help more people than you realize.
    Sending hugs to you over the internet. xoxo!

Chelai — August 15, 2012 @ 7:43 am

Thank you for sharing your story. So often we keep our challenges inside when in fact it is important to share them and not be ashamed or embarassed. Also, I appreciate you sharing your faith. Although I haven’t experienced infertility, I have other things I am going through and your scriptures were right on time! He is so good! And remember, “All things work together for the good of those who love the Lord and who are the called according to his purpose.” Rom 8:28

Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker — August 15, 2012 @ 8:30 am

I have been reading your blog for years – you and hubs are just the sweetest people on earth. I can’t believe how much you have gone through, and thank you for sharing your journey! I’m impressed with your continued high spirits and praying for you both every single day.

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — August 15, 2012 @ 8:40 am

Thanks for sharing your story. You are such a wonderful person, and you’re in my thoughts/prayers. I’m glad the surgery went well and I hope you guys get some more positive news very very soon!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — August 15, 2012 @ 9:35 am

I was reading your story through sleepy eyes this morning, and then the blurry sleep eyes turned into blurry tearful eyes. You are a strong, incredible woman, and the fact that you are telling your story will help so many people find peace.
    One of my friends went through the exact same surgery as you….and she has four littles to love now. :) Just as you, she kept the faith that everything would happen in God’s perfect timing, and it did. I honestly cannot wait for the blog post entitled, “We’re Expecting!” And, I believe that we will see it very soon. Prayers and hugs.

Lisa Gilbert — August 15, 2012 @ 11:11 am

Tina, it sounds like I’m not alone in thinking that somehow, through a recipe, God strategically brought me to your blog and I’ve been following ever since… I always read your posts and wish we lived in Florida so we could hang out with you guys all the time! :) I just know we’d have a blast!
    Today’s post brought the tears… and then you just SEALED.THE.DEAL. when you talked about your faith. God IS who He says He is! Amen! And thank you for reminding me of that and His plans for us. I can never be reminded enough. I will definitely keep you and the Hubbs in my prayers and look forward to the AMAZING plans He has in store for you, my online friend! ;)
    I’m a hugger so I’m sending some HUGE virtual hugs your way!!

michelle @ The Village Cook — August 15, 2012 @ 11:23 am

He has a plan. He’s seldom early, never late and ALWAYS on time. You are my third friend that has gone through such an ordeal, and with the other two ( both were told VERY bad news of no chance at conceiving) BOTH of them last year gave birth to healthy baby girls. MUCH to their doctors amazement. :) I also went through close to a year of trying and He blessed us on His time. Keep the faith and you will see. :) Hugs to you! We should do another Aprons class one day…..

Katie — August 15, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

Wanted to pass along a verse that I love…Romans 5:3-4 We rejoice in our sufferings because we know suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Good luck with your journey.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — August 15, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

Big hugs and lots of well wishes for a speedy recovery! So glad to hear that a problem was identified and fixed! What a blessing to have such a wonderful and supportive Hubs :)

Also, I wish you lots of patience to get through the dark days ahead… (AKA days without Mexican food :P)

Sandra — August 15, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

It is so cool of you to share your journey. So many will benefit from it. Praying for you guys and don’t ever lose faith. God is good!!

Diana — August 15, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

I love your blog and wanted to say how much I appreciate you sharing your story! My hubs & I are still relatively at the beginning of our TTC journey, but since it didn’t happen right away (like it has seemed to happen to everyone around me!), it’s been frustrating to say the least. I keep telling myself to try to relax, enjoy the now and trust in God’s timing :) will be praying for you & your hubs!

Bree — August 15, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

Sounds rough Kristina, but sending you lots of good vibes for babies in the near, near future! :)

Rebecca Allen — August 15, 2012 @ 6:16 pm

I am so proud of you for sharing this, its such an inspiration. You are an overcomer by the blood of the lamb and the word of your testimony. I am believing with you that you will have a joyous, happy baby who will serve the Lord all of their days. Remember what Hanna did in 1 Samuel..continue to cry out to God and believe for the best.

Hallelujah, we praise You, O Lord, for You give children to the childless wife, so that she becomes a happy mother. And we thank You that You are the One Who is building Tina’s family. As Your children and inheritors through Jesus Christ, we receive Your gift — the fruit of the womb, Your child as our reward.

We praise You, our Father, in Jesus’ name, for we know that whatsoever we ask, we receive of You, because we keep Your commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in Your sight.

In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.

mom — August 15, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

Great job sharing your heart T! I love you and am proud of you and I am confident that the Lord will give you the desire of your heart :)

Anna @ hiddenponies — August 16, 2012 @ 1:16 am

Beautifully written and thank you for sharing. I have friends dealing with this and I can see it working to strengthen their marriage too – God works in mysterious ways! Hoping it happens for you two VERY soon! xoxo.

Stacey — August 16, 2012 @ 3:57 pm

Thank you for your courage and honesty. You are a true testament to His love and faithfulness! Prayers headed your way!

LaKendra — August 17, 2012 @ 3:24 am

Amen, Amen and Amen! You all are in my thoughts and prayers for continued strength as God grows an amazing heart of love, joy and honor in you!

ErinsFoodFiles — August 17, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

My heart goes out to you. (sorry for the delay, I’m behind on my Google Reader) I’ll keep you in my prayers!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 17, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

Ummmmm, I’m emailing you right now.

Katie — August 18, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

I had the same surgery. We tried for a year with fertility drugs and then my OBGYN suggested this surgery. My period still wouldn’t come on it’s own a month after the surgery so I went in for the routine injection of progesterine and started chlomid for the first time. It worked! Doc said the combination of chlomid and the surgery probably did it. Now we have that one plus a surprise one that happened all on her own 18 mos later. Here’s wish you the best results and knowing the wants of your heart completely.
    God remembered Rachel.

Angela @ The Dancer Bakes — August 18, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

As much as the story of your struggle breaks my heart, I wanted to let you know how much of an inspiration you’ve been to me lately. Your outspoken belief and commitment to trusting in God through the hardest of times reminds me again and again of His goodness…and that we really can do all things through Him that gives us strength! You and your wonderful husband have my prayers in these trying times, and thank you again for letting Jesus speak through you for people like me :)

Heather — August 19, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Your faith is an inspiration!!! Although I’m going through something totally different in my life, I am also having to put my faith in God and his perfect timing. Thank you so much for those verses. I copied two down and put on my fridge. Praying for you!!

Deb — August 19, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

I read your blog today and the things that you have shared. I want to say that I am so very glad you shared those things because I too will pray for you. I also want to say that I am so glad you have faith in God, I am proud of you for standing up and saying that you know you will get through everything because your faith sustains you. Take extra care of yourself during these healing days and know that your family is lifted up to our heavenly Father who knows all things and whose love is more powerful than we can ever imagine.

andrea — August 20, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

I have been on the infertiltiy roller coaster as well. Also had laparascopic surgery in June so your recovery story was oh so familar. Wishing you all the luck on your journer!

Hannah — August 21, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

I just found your website, and this post brought me to tears with your faith and spirit. Thank you for sharing with us…I wish you the very best, and I’ve added your blog to my (sadly never up-to-date) Google reader so I look forward to reading more about your life as a Mrs. =)

emily — August 22, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Just wanted to tell you I’m sending happy thoughts and prayers your way. I’m so sorry you had to go through this test (it’s a doozy!), but I’m so glad to hear they were able to clear things out.

All my best friend!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 23, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

Glad that you are home and doing well now. We have friends who are just leaving today to go pick up their daughter they are adopting from Korea. They too suffered from infertility almost 8 years. I was lucky enough to have 1 child. I suffered major complications during my pregnancy, so 1 will be all we have. But we are beyond thankful that we do have the 1. Wishing you and your husband the best!

Michele — August 23, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

I just found your blog through pinterest and then I saw this post. I have tears streaming down my face because it brought back so many emotions from a few years ago when I was had the same surgery desperately trying to become pregnant. My best advice is to hang on to hope. I clung to Hebrews 11:1 until the day our beautiful son (adopted from Korea) was placed in my arms. Have your heart open to this journey towards parenthood God has called you to. The waiting is excrutiating but I promise that it’s just for a season!

Tara Guffy — August 27, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Just want to give you a virtual hug, Tina- so here (((Tina))) <3

Angie Castano — August 31, 2012 @ 11:59 pm

T!! All this time and I had no idea!! Thanks for so eloquently sharing your journey. I am amazed by your strength. I can see your mom beaming with pride. Love to you both.

Angie

Diana Taylor — September 8, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

Love your recipes and always so refreshing to read vulnerable and honest posts about the hard parts of life. Just wondering if your have ever hear of or read “Taking Charge of Your Fertility” by Weschler. Im only three chapters in but its already blowing my mind.

FloridaLizzie — September 8, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

Hi Tina, just found your blog while searching for a big fold-out table, because I’m hosting Thanksgiving for the first time this year with extended family and you had a great photo on your blog last year. And then this post caught my eye. And then I read it and saw that you know that God is who He says He is. We had one son 24 years ago and discovered I had endometriosis in that same-not-so fun surgery in 1992. Although we never were able to have another child and adoption didn’t work out, we saw the faithfulness of God and know you will too. He does all things well. You will see. I will pray for you and bookmark your blog–even I am not much of a foodie. Your blog is charming.

KimZ — September 12, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

My sister had/has endometriosis. She went thru 4 surgeries & didn’t have any success becoming preggo. They tried for 8 years. Then the dr. decided to put her into a false menopause to see it that would help. IT DID! After the menopause phase (endometriosis doesn’t grow when you are in menopause). Dr. put her on a hormone to get preggo & she did. She now has 2 adorable kids. This is after much prayer, tears & emotional stress but God is faithful. (BTW, she had 2 miscarriages as well.) Your story just sounded so much like hers I had to tell you. It wasn’t easy to see my sister going thru this but I’m sure it is incredibly hard to go thru it as well. I will be thinking of you. I’m sure she would love to talk to you. May God’s healing rest upon you. Hugs!

Sarah — September 13, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

My story is very similar to yours. One year TTC, investigations started, no apparent problems, laparoscopy after 19 months showing and removing mild endo, 3 months of Clomid and then 2 months later my beautiful glorious big fat positive. I am now the proud mum of a strapping 4 year old boy who has just started school and a lively mischievous 3 year old little brother. Just wanted to say I know how frustrating it is to be described as “unexplained” and please do not ever ever give up hope..
    Sx

Heather — September 20, 2012 @ 12:38 am

Wish you guys lots and lots of luck. I have PCOS and endo and we had a hard time ttc. We tried for 5yrs got pregnant 1 in 2007 lost baby at 10wks. Then tried clomid for awhile and had all the tests done that you did. And I do agree with some of the other ppl the gas pain was horrible and hurt so bad. But then we moved to femera, lost 25lbs and didnt get all crazy about it and I had so much more better luck with that felt when my ovulations hit and everything and on Christmas day felt the big O happen found out 5days post ovulation and on 9/11/09 gave birth too our little boy. We were done after that and this year while my dad was having a quad bypass surgery we were 15wks pregnant and had our other little boy on june 18, 2012 no drugs no nothing wasnt even trying. Good luck and I wish you tons and tons of sucess. Sometimes it happens when you just dont try and forget about it which I totally understand is harder said then done. Love your blog.

Natalie — October 8, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

I just found your blog through Pinterest and I swear it was meant to be. I’ve been married for over 3 yrs, TTC for one year and found out 4 days ago that I most likely have endo, half the eggs I should have (at 28) and am starting fertility drugs and most likely surgery…..I have been so negative and depressed since we found out. Reading this tonight was an amazing wake up call from God to remember that he is in control. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Kari — October 12, 2012 @ 4:50 am

Thanks for the experience. I have been dealing with pain for a while now. I have missed 2 days of work, now on lortab, and have an appt today to discuss and schedule the surgery. I am very scared (clearly since I’m up at 4 in the morning googling endo lap blog). I am scared to go under, I’m scared to find out if it is something worse, I am scared of the surgical pain. And I am apprehensive to exercise (stress relief) because my pain is at my right hip/pelvic region and radiates down the fron of my leg. It is painful to walk, which is why I’m not at work.
    But you shed some light on some of my fears. I hope I get ok news today at the doctor’s.
    Thanks for sharing your story.

Shea — October 18, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

I just had the same surgery last week and my OB/GYN found severe endometriosis and a cyst on my right ovary. TMI the endo was so bad that it had adhered to my bowel. He was able to clean everything up and drain the cyst on my ovary. I had originally gone to an OB/GYN where I live and they did an ultrasound and said it was normal. I had also had a CT scan done in Nashville and my Rheumatologist was concerned. So I got a second opinion from an OB/GYN in Nashville and he said there was something wrong and he wanted to do laprascopic surgery to find out what. I am glad I did get a second opinion. I am still healing but feeling better everyday. I go back in 6 months to get checked out again.

Christy — October 20, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

Just found out about your surgery. I had the same surgery done couple year’s ago, my hubby and were trying to have a baby too. Maybe we didn’t want it bad enough, so we’re still childless. anyways, I truly believe God will answer to your prayers, wish all the best things!:)

Callie — April 16, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. God’s plan is truly perfect. My husband and I also went through several miscarriages before having our son Declan. I underwent a lot of the same testing you did. I have a different thrombophilia, but realized I needed to take a baby aspirin every day while we were trying to conceive, and then when we did get a positive test, I started taking Lovenox (blood thinner) and long story short…Declan came into our world. Every Dr. is different and every thrombophilia has different recommended treatment. I was seeing a hematologist throughout the whole process. I pray for you and your husband to maintain your incredible strength and patience as you wait on God. I know it’s hard and painful. I lived it, but if we didn’t have the 3 miscarriages, we wouldn’t have ended up with the son we know and love today. Hang in there!!!

Betsy — April 19, 2013 @ 9:54 pm

I wanted to let you know that this blog was very helpful to us! I had the same surgery yesterday morning and your blog was a helpful what-to-expect. We’ve been TTC for 3 years, so I understand what you’re going through.

Betbet — July 2, 2013 @ 7:05 pm

What an engaged audience you have! Great post. And BTW, you make a hairnet look good!

Shanbanan — August 23, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

I just found your story while searching on google for stories about TTC. My husband and I have been together for 4 years married for 2 yrs. We started trying right after we were married and now 2 yrs later nothing. We had every test done with all results coming back normal. My first OBGYN said that we should have no problem so she prescribed clomid and we did 3 IUI’s with no success. I became very discouraged and decided to stop trying for a bit. I ended up in the ER from an extremely painful period in June and my OBGYN said she would just monitor me. I was so upset so I decided for a second opinion and my new OBGYN suggested the lap! I couldn’t believe this seeing as we had tried for 2 yrs and my 1st OB said all was fine. Well we decided to get the Lap done. So now we are trying a round of Clomid without and IUI. If this doesn’t work we will be doing Clomid and IUI’s for 3 months. Sending you baby dust and hope you get your bundle of joy soon! Thank you for posting your story it has picked me up and given me hope once again!

Heather — September 20, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

Thank you so much for this blog. I am having a Laproscopy on Tuesday and it’s my first ever surgery. We have tried for over two years to get pregnant with no luck. I had the procedure similar to the Hysterosalpingogram called the FemVue and I was so blocked the dye could not go through and just filled my uterus. It was the worst pain, and all I had was 800mg of motrin. My fertility doctor will do the laproscopy to determine where the blockage is exactly and clear it out. He believes I’m around stage 1 or 2 of endometriosis because if it were in stages 3 or 4 it would have come up on the ultrasounds he did. This blog has put me at ease and I appreciate all of your suggestions for preparing for surgery. Thank you again! :)

Mary — September 25, 2013 @ 4:35 pm

Thank you so much for this post. I feel so encouraged. I just found out I have endometriosis today. After 1 year of IUI’s, clomid, etc. I started feeling discouraged. However, your blog lifted my spirits. God indeed has a plan for us all. Thanks for the reminder. God bless you, and thanks for sharing.

Sherry — February 2, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

I am thankful for this post. I have my surgery in a few days and I wasn’t sure what to expect. I love the way you explained everything and shared your faith. Thanks

Michelle — March 3, 2014 @ 2:12 pm

I just wanted to say thank you for posting your experience.. I was googling laproscopic surgery pain and came up with your blog. I just had surgery 2/27/2014 and am still in pain. I also found out i have Adenomyosis where the endo breaks into the wall of the uterus. Was told if anything grows back i will need a hyterectomy.
    I also have/had infertlity problems and 2 miscarriages. (I am 40 now so don’t really need my uterus). I really wish i found this blog before my surgery, it was very informative and would’ve put my mind more at ease..
    I hope everything is going well for you and I plan on reading your blog from the begining.

• Tina replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 4:29 pm

thanks so much Michelle! I’m happy to hear my post was helpful – it’s exactly why I wrote it… It brings me joy to know that my experience can help others! :)

Dr Kamal — July 5, 2014 @ 4:08 am

Kameelah Jackson — September 11, 2014 @ 1:41 pm

This made me cry! (I know I’m a big baby). But SO glad you were able to share your story and very glad everything went well for you.