Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Easy Crockpot Pot Roast

WARNING: I’m about to get really nerdy on ya’ll today. Okay? You’ve been warned. Carry on…

1970… the year of one of the greatest inventions to date.

The CROCKPOT (aka: slow cooker).

Now, I may not have been around in the 70′s, but as a child of the 80′s… I know ALL about the Crockpot. Pretty much every housewife in America was equipped with one of these trusty one-pot-wonder cookers!

My momma included.

Let’s think about this for a minute… the 1970′s also brought about the invention of a few other things:

• the floppy disk (eventually replaced with the CD… then the DVD… & now USB’s and such)
  • the VCR (eventually replaced with a DVD player and now Blue Ray players)
  • the pocket calculator (now replaced with an App on our iphone)
But the Crockpot, my friends, is STILL going strong 42 years later! It continues to be listed on just about every girl’s wedding registry to. this. day! Now, THAT’S some impressive longevity in today’s advancing technology!

I mean, HELLO… the thing cooks your dinner when you are out and about running errands or working! Absolute. Genius.

Embrace the Crockpot, people.

The Crockpot is your friend.

On a completely unrelated side note… So is a big glass of red wine! ;)

Okay, let’s talk Pot Roast. This recipe is one of my all time favorite Crockpot dishes! Like EVER. I’m pretty sure it’s one of those recipes that all women of the 80′s used. A classic listed in Church cookbooks across America. You know what I’m talking about…

Anyhow, I’m not sure where this originated but this is how my momma always made it and something about it brings me straight back to childhood. I. just. love. it.

Umm and hello?!!! Doesn’t Pot Roast just SCREAM Fall meal??

Hint: the answer is Yes.

So break out your Crockpot’s people… dump everything into it & forget about it (which will be impossible since the smell will have you DROOLING)!

Happy Fall!

Yield: 6 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 8 hours

Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes

28 ounce bag of mini potatoes, rinsed and pierced with fork (I used mini-yukon golds)
1 onion, quartered
2 1/2 pound boneless chuck roast
1 packet onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom
1 tbs red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
cracked black pepper

1 small bag of carrots (may substitute baby carrots)

Spray Crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Add Potatoes and onion quarters then top with chuck roast. Add onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, red wine vinegar, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cover and cook on low for at least 8 hours. During the last hour of cooking add the carrots, making sure they are submerged in the cooking liquid.

Place some of the meat, potatoes, carrots, and onions in a bowl and ladle broth on top. Enjoy with some warm crusty bread if desired!

27 Responses to “Easy Crockpot Pot Roast”

shelly (cookies and cups) — September 26, 2012 @ 8:17 am

I love crock pot roast. Love that you used Cream of mushroom soup in yours!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — September 26, 2012 @ 8:50 am

YUM! Definitely my favorite winter comfort food. Looks delish!!

Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker — September 26, 2012 @ 9:40 am

Love this. Especially the giant glass of wine part. My husband loves when I pull out the crock pot, because it always means MEAT! I will be trying this.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — September 26, 2012 @ 10:03 am

I’mona camp out in that thang.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — September 26, 2012 @ 10:05 am

You can never go wrong with the crockpot! I use almost the exact same recipe and it is so so good and super easy!

Linda — September 26, 2012 @ 11:56 am

Crockpot rocks! That’s what I always say, haha. That’s soo true – never thought of crockpot being this long. That’s amazing! Your recipe is definitely yummy!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — September 26, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

I love crock pots..they produce some of the best meals..and they’re so amazing…instead of having a toddler hanging onto your leg the whole time you’re making dinner..crock pots are the way to go! Oh & pot roast is my all time favorite Fall meal, I just had it Monday..this recipe looks so good and so much easier! Nice!

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — September 26, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

Umm those two soup mixes together sound absolutely heavenly!

LizA — September 26, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

De-lish!
    CrockPots and Pressure Cookers — can’t go wrong with those on a Wedding Register. We told everyone we didn’t want one (the Hubs came well equipped), so we only received one.

But be careful, I swear they breed. I now have (looks both ways) eight.

carrian — September 26, 2012 @ 11:36 pm

Dude, that meat looks so tender! LOve your pretty face

Anita at Hungry Couple — September 27, 2012 @ 1:09 am

Yum! I adore pot roast!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 27, 2012 @ 7:29 am

Yummy!! One of our favorite meals is pot roast in a crock pot!!! Your making look forward to fall and it’s suppose to be near 100 this weekend!!!

Michelle — September 27, 2012 @ 10:06 am

I am soooo making this! This weekend for sure! Embrace the red wine…

Monique — September 27, 2012 @ 11:31 am

This looks soo good! Where did you find those cute bowls w/ lids? They are adorable!

• Tina replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

Homegoods (greatest store EVER!) :)

Kelly — September 27, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

I just made almost EXACTLY this same meal on Tuesday! I love going out for a bit and coming home to the smell of it cooking…the ‘tasting’ every few minutes as it gets close to done, and the way the meat just falls apart because it’s so tender. This is the ONLY recipe my mother passed on to me because she never liked cooking, but we had this all the time from September-April while I was growing up. And I freely admit-I made it this week because my boyfriend is out of town visiting his family and I’d get to eat the whole pot myself!

Baking Serendipity — September 27, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

Love the red wine and the crock pot. And, my husband would love this roast!

Carrie — September 27, 2012 @ 10:37 pm

The crock pot is my part time lover (you know that song is stuck in your head now too) I’m so glad I got to see you again this week :) xoxoxoxox

Megan — September 28, 2012 @ 7:46 am

T- You must get the Reynolds Crock Pot Liners…then you don’t even have to clean the thing!!

Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs — September 28, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

Tina, this is a great recipe! Perfect for fall weather!

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet — September 28, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Looks delish! I love my slow cooker! I didn’t grow up with one so took me a little while to get used to but can’t live without it now!!!

kelley {mountain mama cooks} — September 30, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

You can never go wrong with a pot roast in the crock pot. Or a big glass of red wine for that matter. Hope you had a nice weekend!

Leslie — October 1, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

dude..croc pots rock my world….I dont know what I’d do with out mine! love your roast!

Jan — October 2, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

Hi Tina! I just made this yesterday. Oh my! It’s delicious and so so easy. My type of cooking. Thank you so much!!

Raelynn — October 4, 2012 @ 12:32 am

I love Crockpots! I never thought of adding the carrots in later. Makes for a brighter and colorful meal! Thanks!

Christine — October 4, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Making this tomorrow! Really excited!!!

Meredith — October 22, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

This was so easy and absolutely terrfic! I forgot to buy the cream of mushroom soup to this, and added a little sherry to it. It was so great! My hubby even took the leftover liquid from the dish, and added some flour to make it a gravy! Another hit! Looking forward to trying your chicken waffles soon!