Monday, October 22, 2012

Maple Ice Cream with Salted Buttered Walnuts

I am an ice-creamaholic. It’s my dessert/treat/guilty pleasure of choice. This isn’t new news. Anyhow, I used to have only one go-to book for THE. BEST. homemade ice cream: David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop. Well, I now have TWO since I’ve added Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home to that very short (but wonderful) list!

You all know about my new found love of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream, right?

Well now you do. And today you are getting a recipe for…

…wait for it…

Maple Ice Cream with Salted Buttered Walnuts!

Ya, I could probably just leave it at that.

I mean, do I REALLY need to say anything more?

No, I really don’t.

Go. Make. This. Now.

Happy Monday…

Maple Ice Cream with Salted Buttered Walnuts

Yield: 1 quart

The boiled down pure maple syrup gives this ice cream a delightful caramel note... which when paired with the salted nuts is a killer combo!

For the Salted Butter Walnuts:
3/4 cups walnuts
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt

For the Maple Ice Cream:
2 cups whole milk, divided
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup (Grade B or C)

For the Salted Butter Walnuts:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Gently break apart the walnuts into bite sized pieces (leaving a few big pieces). Mix together with melted butter and salt, and spread into an even layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until nuts are fragrant and beginning to turn golden in color. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

For the Maple Ice Cream:
In a small dish, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the milk and the cornstarch together and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together cream cheese and salt until smooth. Fill a third (Large) bowl with ice and water. In a glass measuring cup with a spout, mix together the cream and corn syrup.

Bring the Maple Syrup to a boil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Once to a full boil, reduce heat to medium and continue simmering for 8 minutes, or until it has reduced by half and begins to darken around the edges. Remove from heat and whisk in the cream/corn syrup mixture, stirring constantly. Next add the remaining milk and place back on heating element. Bring to a rolling boil and allow it to boil for 4 minutes (it may look somewhat curdled due to the acidity in the maple syrup, but it'll come back together when it is frozen). Remove from heat and whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil and allow it to thicken slightly (1-2 minutes).

Remove from heat and little by little, whisk the hot mixture into the cream cheese until smooth. Next, either pour the mixture into a gallon sized ziplock bag (or I like to use quart sized soup containers) and place into ice water to chill. This takes about 30 minutes (make sure to add ice as needed).

Freeze ice cream according to ice cream maker's instructions. Pour into freezer safe container (mixing in the buttered nuts as you go) and freeze until completely solid. Scoop & serve!

14 Responses to “Maple Ice Cream with Salted Buttered Walnuts”

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — October 22, 2012 @ 9:38 am

We love maple walnut ice cream..I really must invest in an ice cream maker..this sounds perfect. Im totally an ice-cream-a-holic as well. Multiple flavors at all times residing in my freezer. Imagine how many if I could do it homemade. Yikes!

Linda | The Urban Mrs — October 22, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

My hubs is totally ice-creamaholic. He will be psyched if I serve him this. Looks so fantastic!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — October 22, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

This looks so delicious! I’ve heard so many good things about that cookbook – I really need to pick up a copy one of these days!

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — October 22, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

Buttered walnuts?! Sign. me. up!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 23, 2012 @ 7:58 am

Oh my gosh! What a great recipe! I am in need for some serious ice cream!!

Auntie Betty — October 23, 2012 @ 10:31 am

I wouldn’t bother dating the carton. With an ice cream as yummy as this ‘shelf life’ won’t be a concern!!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — October 23, 2012 @ 11:02 pm

This is one of my favorite ice cream combos that doesn’t include chocolate. Positively love and so fall-esque!

natalie@thesweetslife — October 24, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

I made this, and loved it!! Except I included candied bacon instead of walnuts and used whiskey in the ice cream :) HIGHLY recommend!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — October 24, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

I love this ice cream! I think I could eat it every day!

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter — October 25, 2012 @ 9:31 am

My “go to” is also The Perfect Scoop, but I guess I need to check out Jeni’s!

carrian — October 25, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

oh friend, Cade is an ice cream a holic. I’m so serious. This is totally up his alley

medinalakegirl — May 30, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

Absolutely love the real maple syrup flavor together with the crunchy buttered walnuts. I plan to use those walnuts in other flavors too – yum! What I’m not fond of is the residue that sticks to my spoon when I’m eating the ice cream. Have you noticed this? I think it’s the corn starch and will try reducing the amount next time, using a different brand, or maybe I’ll just use an egg instead. Very yummy though.

• Tina replied: — May 31st, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

Strange! I have not noticed that before… hmmm

MaryAnn Frandsen — March 1, 2014 @ 8:21 pm

BEST ice cream I’ve EVER made! Seriously amazing! Mine didn’t thicken up all the way so had to put in freezer overnight. Other than that, perfect!!!!!