Monday, January 7, 2013

Caprese Bruschetta

Caprese Bruschetta | My Life as a Mrs

The Super Bowl is right around the corner!

So I guess it’s the finals right now… or the playoffs… errr… or whatever they call it these days! hah We all know I’m not much into football… or sports in general for that matter… Lord help our future children if they get my athletic ability (lack thereof)!

Anyhow, all that said, I do love entertaining & throwing great shin-digs, and GAME DAY is an excellent excuse to break out all my favorite appetizers and finger foods!

Caprese Bruschetta | My Life as a Mrs

Now here’s the thing… Game Day is notorious for pizza, beer, wings, etc… sometimes you need something a little less grease-tastic!

Enter this Caprese Bruschetta.

This is a cross between two of my favorite things: Caprese Salad & Bruscetta! It’s nice to mix this delicious pop of freshness into the spread of hors devours… all the ladies will thank you! ;)

Heck, now that I think of it, why don’t we just blow off Game Day all together and have a LADIES. NIGHT. This… some Vino… the season premier of Bachelor (total guilty pleasure & I cannot wait to watch tonight!)!

Now we’re on to something… ;)

Caprese Bruschetta

Yield: 6-8 servings

Total Time: 15-25 minutes

Caprese Salad meets Bruschetta for one delicious bite of fresh tomato, garlic, basil goodness...

For the Caprese Bruschetta:
1 pint Grape Tomatoes, halved
4-6 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls*
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons finely diced red onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
10 basil leaves, chiffonaded

For Serving:
1 large crusty baguette
balsamic reduction**

*Little mini balls of fresh mozzarella that are found in the specialty cheese section (may also cut fresh mozzarella into small cubes if you cannot find the mini pearls).

**Can buy balsamic reduction (also called balsamic glaze) in the vinegar aisle. If you cannot find it, just dump a cup of balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and simmer until it reduces and thickens (takes about 20 minutes).

For the Caprese Bruschetta:
Toss all ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. It's a good idea to do this 20 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.

To Serve:
Slice baguette into 1/2" thick slices and place on a cookie sheet and spray with a little non-stick cooking spray (or brush with a little olive oil). Broil until golden brown, flip, and repeat with underside. Be careful with the broiling - it is REALLY easy to burn them! I speak from experience! Pile bruschetta on top of toasted baguettes, drizzle with a little balsamic reduction, and serve!

Caprese Bruschetta | My Life as a Mrs

19 Responses to “Caprese Bruschetta”

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — January 7, 2013 @ 7:46 am

Oh my goodness — this looks gorgeous!!! Two of my favorite things too! :)

And I can’t WAIT for the Bach premiere tonight! Go Sean!!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — January 7, 2013 @ 8:20 am

Mercy this is beautiful! YUM!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — January 7, 2013 @ 9:03 am

This sounds wonderful!!

Leslie — January 7, 2013 @ 9:23 am

Yep..these are some of my favorite little apps! They get gobbled up sooooo quick!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 7, 2013 @ 9:32 am

This looks absolutely amazing!

Linda | The Urban Mrs — January 7, 2013 @ 11:31 am

Oh yum yum! Those bruschetta look absolutely to die for. The drizzle and the ingredients are so wonderful.

Donna @ The Slow Roasted Italian — January 7, 2013 @ 11:39 am

Tina, these look amazing. I love bruschetta, but oddly don’t make it often enough. Yours looks amazing. I love the sweetness of the balsamic reduction over top. YUM! Did I mention my mouth is watering. Caprese Bruschetta for breakfast? Hmmm… Maybe.

Elizabeth Ann — January 7, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

I could seriously eat this every day! :-)

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — January 7, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

This looks DELICIOUS! I’m so psyched for the Bachelor too. I adored Sean during Emily’s season. If he doesn’t find a nice lady this season, I’ll marry him myself :)

Katie — January 7, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

Yessss – this is one of my favorite combos ever! You really can’t go wrong with those flavors. Yours look absolutely amazing…

carrian — January 7, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

looooove this one! And your props are always so lovely!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — January 7, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

Give this to me. Coo?

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — January 7, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

I love this! Especially because caprese makes me think of summer time :) And I can pretty much never say no to a crusty crunchy baguette!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 7, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

Bruschetta is one of my favorite things ever! And I like the idea of having this for the Super Bowl to break up the more heavy stuff!

Jessica — January 7, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

I am totally down for Ladies Night if you, wine & this deliciousness is involved!!

Jeff — January 8, 2013 @ 1:29 am

Yum! I’d definitely worry about pieces of cheese and tomato rolling around the place. Maybe making a little depression in the bread beforehand? The balsamic looks delicious!

Sandra — January 8, 2013 @ 7:20 am

Bring on the vino!!!! These pictures are gorgeous!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — January 8, 2013 @ 10:47 am

I love this. It is a combo of two of my favorite things as well. I am for sure making this for a get together I have next weekend.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — January 8, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

Who cares what you know about sports, if you bring this to the party! YUM!