Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mushroom Risotto

Mushroom Risotto | My Life as a Mrs

Hey friends… I’m not gonna lie, this “no gluten” thing is killing my creative process! Apparently there is gluten in most of my go-to recipes – mega BUMMER!

I’ve even tried to experiment with a little gluten-free baking which happened to be a major taste FAIL. They totally looked gorgeous and then I tasted them… BLEH! So then I proceeded to try out a gluten free asian-style crock pot sticky rib (for Valentine’s Day, no less)! In my head it was SO right.

Concept = Excellent

Execution = Another major FAIL (unless you consider mushy bland ribs with absolutely no “sticky” to them a win… haha).

So then I said, screw the gluten! I’m gonna make molten lava cakes for Valentine’s Day dessert! So off I went making a recipe I’ve made flawlessly a dozen time before. And guess what happened? My lava cakes stuck to my ramekins and half stayed in the ramekins with the filling oozing out onto the plate.

Yah. EPIC FAIL.

I struck out THREE times in the SAME week (2 times in the same DAY!). I stared at my sink full of dishes and looked at the hubs with tears in my eyes and exclaimed defeat, “I’ve officially lost my cooking mojo!!!”

Mushroom Risotto | My Life as a Mrs

Drama much? haha

Well friends, after throwing a nice pity party I pressed on bound and determined to make something gluten free that tasted AMAZING and didn’t make me miss my good ol’ buddies: carbs!

I figured it was time to stop trying to make a gluten-free version of my favorite recipe in hopes that it’ll taste the exact SAME. Fact of the matter is, it’s not going to taste the same and it’s something I’ll just have to get over. In the mean time, I’m finding naturally gluten free dishes that are delicious and don’t make me feel like I’m missing out on something!

That brings me to this… RISOTTO.

Naturally gluten free (just make sure that the chicken stock you purchase doesn’t have any wheat added*), super filling, creamy, & DELICIOUS.

I had always been intimidated about making risotto. It just sounded all fancy & difficult. Well, I’m hear to tell you, it’s actually quite simple! If you prep the ingredients ahead of time, set a stool next to your stove, and think of it as a delicious arm workout… you’ll be good to go!

Oh, and I’m happy to tell you it turned out fabulously and I finally got my cooking “mojo” back! 😉

Mushroom Risotto | My Life as a Mrs

Mushroom Risotto

Yield: 4-6 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30-40 minutes

Total Time: 40-50 minutes

Substitute a vegetable broth to make this dish a vegetarian option.

6-8 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons salted butter
12 ounces flavorful mushrooms, stemmed & sliced*
1 small yellow onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cups)
2 cloves garlic
12 ounces Risotto Rice (Italian Arborio)
1-2 springs of fresh thyme
2 sage leaves, chiffonaded
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper, to taste

*I went with baby bella mushrooms but needed a little more flavor than what they offered, so I added 2 teaspoons of porcini powder I had in my spice cabinet (it's just ground up porcini mushrooms). I will probably use 8 ounces baby bellas and 4 ounces of dried porcini mushrooms my next go around!

In a saucepan, heat all 8 cups of chicken broth up to a simmer until ready to use (may not need all of the chicken broth but it's good to have it ready to go in case you do!).

In a heavy bottomed deep saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute, stirring constantly, for an additional minute. Next, add rice, thyme, and sage and stir to combine.

Carefully pour the white wine in and bring the mixture to a boil, allowing the liquid to reduce by half (this should only take a few minutes). Now you will add the simmering chicken broth, roughly 1/2 cup at a time. Be sure to stir rice constantly pushing the rice from the edges so they don't stick. The constant stirring helps bring out the starches and creates the creamy consistency! When the broth is almost completely absorbed, it's time to add another 1/2 cup. Continue this process until the risotto reaches the correct consistency. The rice should be just cooked and still have a slight chew to it. The adding broth to the rice process should take about 25 minutes or so.

Lastly, remove thyme stems (the leaves will have fallen off), stir in the Parmesan cheese and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Garnish with additional sprig of thyme.

Recipe Adapted From: Simply Recipes

Mushroom Risotto | My Life as a Mrs

26 Responses to “Mushroom Risotto”

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — February 20, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

I hate when that happens (cooking fail after cooking fail). I have weeks like that sometimes. Believe me, you totally didn’t lose your cooking mojo….this risotto looks fabulous!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 20, 2013 @ 10:19 pm

This is just the best! I love mushroom risotto!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — February 20, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

I forgot that risotto was GF! This looks completely heavenly. I’m so glad you were able to enjoy it, and that you got back in your groove! 🙂

Bree {Skinny Mommy} — February 21, 2013 @ 4:38 am

I am sorry that you are having a time! But you sure nailed it with this one!

branny — February 21, 2013 @ 5:43 am

You’re right. It is easier to go naturally gluten free. I suggest my friend Jenn’s blog at Jenncuisine.com — she has a mix of super precise and scientific bread/baking recipes but also a huge variety of naturally GF foods for you to enjoy.

Melissa — February 21, 2013 @ 6:43 am

For those times that you need to have a yummy GF cookie or muffin, I highly recommend the Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour blend, which is available exclusively at Williams-Sonoma. It’s really pricey (most GF blends are, though), but you can barely tell the difference between this blend and wheat flour! (And I speak as someone who does not eat GF, but grew up with a parent with celiac disease, and you could always tell the difference between the things made with rice flour for mom and the wheat ones.) Just a tip for those times when naturally GF won’t quite cut it! 🙂

Natalie — February 21, 2013 @ 7:45 am

The GF transition is so tough! I have found that with baking, the grain-free recipes with almond or coconut flour usually come out better than the gluten-free recipes with the GFree flours. Try Elana’s Pantry for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — February 21, 2013 @ 9:39 am

My face’s mojo is about to explode right now.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — February 21, 2013 @ 9:46 am

Going GF is tough 🙁 but at least you can have this incredible risotto!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — February 21, 2013 @ 10:56 am

I’m glad you got your mojo back! I am a huge fan of risotto!

Kim (Soliloquy Of Food & Such) — February 21, 2013 @ 11:24 am

Mushroom risotto rocks! I love your honesty, btw. I will come to your pity party, especially if you’re making this!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — February 21, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

You got it gurrrl! This recipe looks fantastic and sounds so simple and flavorful. I was thinking about trying a recipe like this but seeing how it would do baked int he oven. I love mushrooms so much. OH, also I am not GF but, I do love brown rice pasta. You need to get yourself some of that, just as good as the carby-kind!

Melissa (Alienbody) — February 21, 2013 @ 2:48 pm

I’ve been gluten free since my Celiac diagnosis last October. It is still a challenge (mostly because of eating out), but I’m eating very well. There are plenty of things to eat and recipes that are gluten free or can be adapted. Good luck.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — February 21, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

This looks fabulous! I never even realized that risotto was GF – will have to keep that in mind for my pals who avoid gluten!

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — February 21, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

What a fabulous gluten free option! It’s a great compromise that eliminates gluten, but saves the carby starchiness that I find so comforting 🙂

Terri/LoveandConfections — February 21, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

I love risotto! Mushroom & Caramelized Onion Risotto is my favorite type to make. This looks so good. Glad the “mojo” is back.

Natalie G — February 21, 2013 @ 7:16 pm

I discovered last summer I have a gluten intolerance and it has been a tough transition, but, I have adjusted. Risotto is my go-to comfort food when I feel like I am missing gluten. I have learned how to perfect flourless chocolate cakes and tried lots of gluten-free baking products. Most of them taste terrible and have a weird texture. Yuck. I picked up a box of gf cookie mix from Whole Foods called 123 Gluten Free and made some chocolate chip cookies. They were fantastic! It’s pricey, but worth it. Good luck!

tracy {pale yellow} — February 21, 2013 @ 8:19 pm

I completely understand about baking fails and losing your cooking “mojo.” I’m going vegan this month and attempted vegan cupcakes. When I brought them into work, people tried them and then spit the cupcakes out – I was mortified! This risotto looks awesome, I’m so glad you’re back in the game.

angela @ another bite please — February 21, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

oh gosh kitchen recipes that don’t turn out are such a let down…sorry about your two in one day…i love risotto…made it the first time a few months back…it feels like such a peaceful meal to make…the slow mixing and stirring i love…glad you got your mojo back!

katie — February 22, 2013 @ 8:44 am

THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS (and gorgeous). i don’t see myself making it anytime soon, since i’m the only one in my family who likes mushrooms, but i will definitely be on the lookout for an opportunity at some point… xoxox

Dawn — February 24, 2013 @ 4:57 pm

This looks delicious! I get so frustrated when things don’t turn out the way they are supposed to in the kitchen! Glad this came out perfect though!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — February 24, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

Gorgeous!! I love risotto, and mushroom risotto is a favorite for sure!

Sues — February 25, 2013 @ 7:37 am

Ack I can’t even imagine how tough it must be to get used to a new diet AND a new way of cooking. But at least you always have risotto! And about a million different ways to make it 🙂 This one looks beautiful and delicious!

Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} — February 25, 2013 @ 7:57 am

Ta-da! Something worked! I hate when I lose my mojo!! Glad you’re back! 🙂

MC @sugarspicemkt — March 3, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

Your risotto looks absolutely delicious.Being careful with the chicken broth is a great tip. Gluten can sneak in the most unexpected ingredients. Anyway, sorry to hear that your baking substitutions haven’t been successful. It really depends on the choice of gluten free flour. Find a good quality blend and your baked goods will come out excellent!

Charlene — January 27, 2014 @ 2:32 pm

This looks awesome – would like to make it for a dinner party and was wondering if it could be made ahead -say, make it early in the day to be served at 6 o’clock?
    Many thanks.