Wednesday, June 26, 2013

“Cherry Bombs” – Gourdough’s Copycat

"Cherry Bombs" - Gourdough's Copycat by My Life as a Mrs

Remember how I told you guys all about my trip to Austin? Well if you do,  I’m sure you also remember our INSANE pictures of loaded up donuts from Gourgdough’s! Gourdough’s had some of the craziest and most delicious donuts EVER. Things like Fried Chicken donuts topped with honey butter, Maple Bacon Donuts, Bananas Foster Donuts, Key Lime Pie Donuts… and SO many more.

Pretty much all of us food bloggers stopped by Gourdough’s at least once while in Austin and were inspired to do a big Blog Hop recreating our favorite donuts from our visits.

The Fried Chicken Topped Donut was already taken so I went with my second favorite… the CHERRY BOMBS!

"Cherry Bombs" - Gourdough's Copycat by My Life as a Mrs

{Donut holes rolled in cinnamon sugar…}

"Cherry Bombs" - Gourdough's Copycat by My Life as a Mrs

{Topped with sweet Cherry Pie Filling…}

"Cherry Bombs" - Gourdough's Copycat by My Life as a Mrs

{Then coated with a sweetened cream cheese sauce (sort of like a hot cream cheese frosting!! SO YUM) & cake mix…}

AMAZEBALLS.

If you saw my Instagram, I promised you guys that this was an easy recipe. Well, it IS! Want to know my secret? I used CANNED BISCUITS to make the donuts holes. Yup. Plain ol’ canned buttermilk biscuits. Works like a charm. My parents made “homemade donuts” for us as kids and using this method and we LOVED it.

And guess what? I STILL love it.

Now if you want to get all fancy and make your dough from scratch… knock. yourself. out. But these babies are fantastic as is (and SO my speed). In fact, hubs was absolutely SHOCKED that I made them with biscuit dough. He thought they were homemade! ;)

So go make these easy peasy donuts!!! If you’ve got picky eaters… just give them the donuts rolled in cinnamon sugar (those are amazing all by their lonesome!).

"Cherry Bombs" - Gourdough's Copycat by My Life as a Mrs

Want to check out some other Gourdough’s Doughnuts? Go see some of my friends today!

gourdoughs-collage-1agourdoughs-collage-2gourdoughs-collage-3

15. ODB by Sweet Treats and More
16. The Puddin’ by Lauren’s Latest
17. Naughty & Nice by Life’s Ambrosia
18. Miss Shortcake by Kevin & Amanda

"Cherry Bombs" - Gourdough's Copycat

For the Donuts:
Canola oil for frying (enough to fill pan 1 1/2 inches high)
2 cans buttermilk biscuits, quartered
1/2 cup sugar
2-3 teaspoons cinnamon

For the Sweetened Cream Cheese Sauce:
8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 cup half & half
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Additional Ingredients:
1 can cherry pie filling
2-3 tablespoons yellow cake mix

For the Donuts:
Preheat oil to 325º-350ºF. Roll quartered biscuits into balls. In a brown paper bag, mix together the cinnamon and sugar (roll top down then shake to mix).

When oil is preheated, carefully drop a handful of the dough balls into the oil (it helps to place them in a slotted spoon and then carefully lower them into the oil). Cook until donuts float to the top and become a golden brown color (I gently rotate them with a slotted spoon while they cook to allow even browning). Remove donuts with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate, then place into the paper bag and shake to coat with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat until all donuts are cooked.

For the Sweetened Cream Cheese Sauce:
Add cream cheese and half and half to a small saucepan and heat over medium to medium high heat (whisking until smooth). Add the powdered sugar whisking again until smooth.

To Assemble:
Add a handful of cooked cinnamon sugar donuts to a plate. Spoon a few dallops of the cherry pie filling over then and top with a drizzle (or 5) of the warm sweetened cream cheese mixture. Lastly, sprinkle on a few pinches of the yellow cake mix and VOILA! Cherry Bombs up!

Inspired by: Gourdough's Doughnuts

36 Responses to ““Cherry Bombs” – Gourdough’s Copycat”

Apple Pie Doughnuts - Shugary Sweets — June 26, 2013 @ 7:00 am

[...] by Chef-in-Training Mama’s Cake by The Domestic Rebel The Mother Clucker by Oh Sweet Basil Cherry Bombs by My Life as a Mrs. The Funky Monkey by The Little Kitchen The Baby Rattler by Confessions of a [...]

Not Yo Mama’s Gourdough’s Donut Blog Hop! | The Domestic Rebel — June 26, 2013 @ 7:01 am

Dirty Berry Doughnuts — June 26, 2013 @ 7:35 am

Heather @ Sugar Dish Me — June 26, 2013 @ 7:45 am

So so jealous of all of you that got to stuff your faces with Gourdough’s first hand! I am saving every single recipe!! Love that you used canned biscuits to simplify this drop-dead-amazing donut dish!!!

shellyjaronsky — June 26, 2013 @ 7:49 am

I LOVE that these are like munchkins! Small donuts means I can eat more, right?

Lauren's Latest » The Puddin’ Doughnut {Gourdough’s Copycat} — June 26, 2013 @ 7:56 am

[...] 11. Cherry Bombs by My Life as a Mrs. [...]

Peanut Butter & Jelly Doughnut — June 26, 2013 @ 8:00 am

[...] Cherry Bombs by My Life as a Mrs. [...]

JulieD — June 26, 2013 @ 8:20 am

These look gorgeous, Tina! I agree with Shelly, can I eat more since they are smaller? :)

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — June 26, 2013 @ 8:30 am

Loved the cherry bombs! Plus, grab a fork these are the perfect dessert!

Baby Rattler (Worms & Dirt) Doughnuts -- Gourdough's Copycat — June 26, 2013 @ 8:57 am

[...] 9.  Mama’s Cake by The Domestic Rebel 10.  The Mother Clucker by Oh Sweet Basil 11.  Cherry Bombs by My Life as a Mrs. 12.  The Funky Monkey by The Little [...]

Ashton — June 26, 2013 @ 9:17 am

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe I didn’t try these!!!! Definitely making this homemade version for sure! Gorgeous!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — June 26, 2013 @ 9:23 am

Love the fact you can do these with canned biscuits! They look fabulous!

Banana Caramel Pecan Doughnuts {gourdoughs copycat} - Crazy for Crust — June 26, 2013 @ 9:29 am

Heavenly Hash Donuts - Gourdoughs Copycat Recipe — June 26, 2013 @ 9:32 am

[...] Chef-in-Training | Mama’s Cake by The Domestic Rebel | The Mother Clucker by Oh Sweet Basil | Cherry Bombs by My Life as a Mrs. | The Funky Monkey by The Little Kitchen | The Baby Rattler by Confessions of [...]

Christina Gathright — June 26, 2013 @ 9:39 am

Yum! Breakfast perfection!

Lauren — June 26, 2013 @ 9:44 am

These look better than Gourdoughs!! Also, I miss your face!!!!!!

Cookbook Queen — June 26, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Oh. My. Word.

LOOOOOVE this!!!!! I need eleventy dozen of these NOW!!

Copycat Gourdough's ODB Donut Holes — June 26, 2013 @ 10:13 am

Bring the Heath Doughnuts – Gourdough’s Copycat — June 26, 2013 @ 10:15 am

[...] | Mama’s Cake by The Domestic Rebel | The Mother Clucker by Oh Sweet Basil | Cherry Bombs by My Life as a Mrs.| The Funky Monkey by The Little Kitchen | The Baby Rattler by Confessions of [...]

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — June 26, 2013 @ 10:33 am

Donut holes are mini foods, and mini foods have no calories. SCORE! I want a truckload in that case :)

Trish - Mom On Timeout — June 26, 2013 @ 10:50 am

This is finger food right? They look AMAZING! Just gorgeous!

Strawberry Shortcake Doughnut Muffins | Kevin & Amanda's Recipes — June 26, 2013 @ 10:54 am

[...] 9. Mama’s Cake by The Domestic Rebel 10. The Mother Clucker by Oh Sweet Basil 11. Cherry Bombs by My Life as a Mrs. 12. The Funky Monkey by The Little [...]

Sues — June 26, 2013 @ 11:06 am

Add another must-make doughnut to my list :) At this rate, I’ll be making doughnuts every day for the rest of my life…. and I’m OK with that :)

Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda — June 26, 2013 @ 11:36 am

OMG YESSSSSSSSS. So glad you made these happen!! Love your cinnamon sugar doughnut hole biscuit method!! I must make these ASAP!! :) So great seeing you again in Austin!! xoxo

Krystyna — June 26, 2013 @ 11:51 am

These look so yummy! I’ll have to add it to our big weekend breakfast list. I can’t believe you are able to create recipes while pregnant. I had no energy and every smell was horrific. I’m happy you can still create recipes as I love all the things you cook.

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — June 26, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

These look awesome!!! Gotta love that biscuit dough for nice and easy doughnuts!!! I need to make this doughnut “sundae” for sure!!! It looks awesome!!!

The Novice Chef » Candied Maple Bacon Donut — June 26, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

[...] 9. Mama’s Cake by The Domestic Rebel 10. The Mother Clucker by Oh Sweet Basil 11. Cherry Bombs by My Life as a Mrs. 12. The Funky Monkey by The Little Kitchen 13. The Baby Rattler by [...]

Jessica — June 26, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

I’m so glad you did the canned biscuit donuts. I have such a soft spot in my heart for those…I even put them in the book haha! :-)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 26, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

Ok, I am going to gain 10 pounds just reading these donut posts – I want them all!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — June 26, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

LOVE this. I’d eat wayyyyy too much of it!

Des @ Life's Ambrosia — June 26, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

OK after going through all of these posts I am starting to think I am the only person on earth that didn’t know you could make doughnuts with biscuit dough. These look fantastic and so simple to make!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — June 27, 2013 @ 12:29 am

Come to mama!! yum :)

Nutmeg Nanny — June 29, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

Oh, I love this :) looks like such a delightful treat!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — June 30, 2013 @ 7:21 pm

I’m in donut heaven!

Funky Monkey Doughnut with Nutella – Gourdough’s Inspired Recipe | the little kitchen — July 8, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

[...] Mother Clucker | Cherry Bombs | The Funky [...]

Cookies and Cups Blackout Cupcakes » Cookies and Cups — March 25, 2014 @ 8:10 am

[…] 9.  Mama’s Cake | The Domestic Rebel 10.  The Mother Clucker | Oh Sweet Basil 11.  Cherry Bombs | My Life as a Mrs. 12.  The Funky Monkey | The Little […]