Thursday, July 18, 2013

THE Story…

16weeks

Well guys… I seriously didn’t anticipate being off of here for this long but holy smokes moving is a LOT more work than I thought it’d be… then you throw in myself being pregnant and us (stupidly) deciding it would be a great idea to have a gender reveal party at our house 2 weeks after moving in (WHAT were we thinking lol)!!! Anyhow, to tie you over I thought I’d give you the whole story of us finding out we were pregnant like I promised a few weeks ago! Ready? It’s a good one…

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that Mike and I have had QUITE the journey to get to this point. We started our journey of “Trying to Conceive” nearly 3 years ago thinking it would be simple and quick (stop birth control and BAM! get knocked up). Right? WRONG.

9 months of trying the old fashioned way (with charting, temperature taking, ovulation sticks etc…) went by before by miracle of all miracles we FINALLY got a positive pregnancy test. We were beyond ecstatic. THIS. WAS. FINALLY. IT. Well, unfortunately, 7 1/2 weeks into my pregnancy, I miscarried.

We were absolutely devastated.

We decided to give it another 6 months of trying and when that didn’t work, we went to see a fertility specialist. After gamots of testing they could find nothing wr0ng with myself or with Mike. We were SO frustrated. I had my tubes flushed to see if perhaps they were blocked since I was clearly ovulating… a few months later still NOTHING.

Our doctor didn’t recommend IUI for our case (IUI is where they basically clean off hubs’ sperm and shoot em’ up where they need to be – for lack of a better explanation), but instead thought we should move straight into In Vitro Fertilization (aka IVF). IVF is where they shoot me up with a ton of hormones to try to get as many eggs as they can to fully mature, then they go in surgically to remove my eggs, at the same point they retrieve a sperm sample from the hubs and they do some crazy science thing where they fertilize my eggs with hubs’ sperm in a petri dish. Romantic way of conceiving a child eh? lol

Anyhow, before we moved forward with IVF, my doctor strongly suggested I have laparoscopic surgery to check for and remove any endometriosis in and around my uterus and ovaries. So that’s what we did.

post-op

I had the surgery and made it through the painful recovery and then we tried on our own for another month or 2 (unsuccessfully) and then proceeded with our first round of IVF. We were SO excited and thought this is it! This WILL work.

IVF Meds

I started on my plethora of shots and smiled through the pain and bruises forming on my stomach and thighs from all the injections. They retrieved only 3 eggs which was a total let down, but the egg quality was great so we were incredibly hopeful. I had my transfer a few days later where they put 2 of the fertilized embryos back into my uterus. The 3rd embryo didn’t make it to a freezable stage so we had all our eggs in one basket (literally lol). We waited and waited 12 horribly long days until I went in for my blood test. Then we waited and waited for the results. I got the phone call from my doctor later that morning and my heart was absolutely POUNDING. As soon as he started talking i knew it wasn’t good news; I had a pit in my stomach. And I was right… I wasn’t pregnant. Devastation yet again.

IMG_1925

We picked ourselves back up and decided to give it one last go since we had a full round still left in our IVF package. Back to the needles and injections (and not to mention cray cray hormones). Our doctor changed my medication regiment a bit hoping to obtain more mature eggs this time.

Our retrieval day came and once again they were only able to get 3 measly eggs with a poorer quality than last time. I was SO upset. We continued on hoping and praying for a miracle.

embryos

They transferred the 2 embryos back in a few days later (with the 3rd one again not making it to freezable stage) so we were back in the SAME. EXACT. POSITION. as last time. But this was the end of our IVF round. Hubs and I had already decided that if this didn’t work we would adopt. I was DONE with the hormones, injections and grief. We wanted to be parents and decided it was time to explore other options.

My blood test date was quickly approaching and I started getting what felt like period cramps. So I waited for it to start and the cramps got progressively worse. I decided to focus my energy on putting together an adoption profile. So that’s what I did. For 3 days I poured my heart and soul into creating the best daggum adoption profile any organization would ever see!

The night before my blood test, I couldn’t take it anymore. I asked hubs to walk over to Publix and pick up a pregnancy test so we could just “rip the bandaid off” and open up a bottle of wine. He did as I asked and I took the test and left it on the bathroom floor. 3 minutes went by and I sent Mike in to look at it (because I had seen ENOUGH negative tests over the past 3 years… I just COULDN’T look at another one). Mike walked into the bathroom and came out with a perplexed look on his face and asked me, “Babe, what does a plus sign mean?!!” I looked at him and asked, “Are you messing with me??” He looked at me and said, “Why would I mess with you about something like this??? Seriously though, WHAT. DOES. A. PLUS. SIGN. MEAN??!!!”

I grabbed it out of his hand to see it with my own eyes and then we both looked at each other as realization came to us and we BURST into tears in the middle of our kitchen. We hugged and sobbed out a good full-on ugly (happy, oh so happy) cry.

pregnant

And that was the night that life as we knew it changed. God is SO good! We feel so incredibly blessed to have this baby. And even though I’ve been as sick as a dog, I couldn’t be more THRILLED. It makes me smile to know that the little life inside me is growing and thriving (which is what I associate this sickness with). I’m officially at 17+ weeks and we just found out the gender of this little nugget. We will be revealing it to our families on Saturday so stay tuned… I’ll let you guys in on the news on Monday! :)

Take your guesses now: BOY or GIRL?!

56 Responses to “THE Story…”

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — July 18, 2013 @ 2:24 pm

Happy tears. Seriously tearing up reading this! I’m so so happy for y’all!

I’m gonna guess boy…only b/c eeny meeny miney mo is highly scientific. :-)

Rachel — July 18, 2013 @ 2:25 pm

Congrats! So happy for you, what a crazy journey, God is GREAT! And I say Girl :)

Nicole — July 18, 2013 @ 2:25 pm

I am so happy for the two of you. My eyes welled while reading. Welcome to motherhood, it sure is incredible (I’m 12 weeks in). I can wait to read more about your adventure. You two are inspiring.

jessica lynn — July 18, 2013 @ 2:26 pm

ugly tears. i’m doing the ugly cry of happiness, because this was so beautiful. I love stories about how parents found out! Congratulations again! Can’t wait to hear if it’s a boy or girl :)

cassie — July 18, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

Happy, happy tears! I’m so excited for you. God is SO good! xoxo

Jess Dee — July 18, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

Oh congratulations! I too had happy tears reading this. I’m going to go with boy :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 18, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

You two are gonna have the cutest baby! So freaking happy for you after such an emotional journey. And jeez you can’t just say take a guess… I need more info to decide first ;)

philomena — July 18, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

I’m going with a boy. ::))

Rachel Cooks — July 18, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

Crying happy tears for you! Thanks for sharing your story! I’m soooo glad God gave you your miracle. xo

Guess: Girl!

Hannah Ansa — July 18, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

Congrats to you Tina, thank God for this little miracle, I salute your courage and patience and my prayer is that this good work the Lord has begun in your life, he will make it perfect in every way. Enjoy your pregnancy to the fullest, it is a very beautiful time in any woman’s life. God bless.X

Kelly Davie — July 18, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

Congratulations, you two!!!! What an inspiring story. Way to stick it out!

Angela C. — July 18, 2013 @ 2:58 pm

What a fantabulous ending to this heart-wrenching story! My eyes are filled with tears!!!!! I was unfamiliar with your story and sadly so many couples have to deal with endless disappointment when it comes to pregnancy. I, myself, am scared to death when it comes to trying because you have no idea how quickly or long the process may take until that time comes! Congratulations for hanging in there and being tough tough cookies!!!! Excited to follow more of your posts and your exciting new path!!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — July 18, 2013 @ 2:58 pm

So happy for you!!! Can’t help but tear up reading this. What a journey – you guys will make the best parents!

Madeline @ThursdayNightBaking — July 18, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

Teared up reading this! Such a heartwarming story. Congratulations!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — July 18, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

What a journey! I recognize that struggle…and all of those menopur boxes. We had looooads of those. ;-) I’m so happy for you guys!

Carrie — July 18, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

Crying. I am so incredibly happy for you guys. You will be THE Best parents around!

Annalise @ Completely Delicious — July 18, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

In tears after reading this post!! What a story. So happy for you and your husband, Tina! And I’m gonna guess… boy!

Madison — July 18, 2013 @ 4:12 pm

Your story is beautiful! I’m so excited for you two and can’t wait to follow along with your journey. My vote is on BOY!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — July 18, 2013 @ 4:38 pm

You and Mike have so much love to give – I’m so glad this little bundle will receive it ALL!!! Soooo many hugs, I’m over the moon and so wish I could give you a big hug again and again (even though I’ve known for ages, I am still that excited) XOXO
    PS – I’m betting on a boy!

Jessica of My Baking Heart — July 18, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

Such a beautiful story, Tina! I’m so happy for you guys and can’t wait to find out if the gender (I say girl!)! :)

leslie — July 18, 2013 @ 5:36 pm

Ahhh, sounds like my sisters story. All those years of trying will just make you love your little one even more :)
    I’m guessing….girl!

Julie @ Table for Two — July 18, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

i cried (happy tears) reading this. i’m seriously so so soooo thrilled for you and mike. you two will make amazing parents! i can’t wait to hear the gender reveal :) :) eek!

Laura — July 18, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

LOVE this — can’t wait to her the news. And SO happy to hear that little one is on his? her? way!!

Michelle — July 18, 2013 @ 6:35 pm

My guess is girl. I’m full of joy and in tears reading this, even though I’ve known for a while! God is pouring out His blessing on you both, answering your prayers and the prayers of your family, friends and church community. Having been through this too, I know the happiness that are experiencing every day, even with the sickness! It’s a powerful thing to have so many praying for you. Know that all of our prayers are continuing for an uneventful pregnancy and safe, healthy delivery! Now just tell us, do we buy pink or blue??? Love ya girl!!

Brandi — July 18, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

Congrats Tina! This is such a great post. I’m going to guess a boy. Can’t wait to find out.

Gabby — July 18, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

Hi Tina! I’ve been (silently) following your blog for a little over a year now. I just wanted to say I’m so happy for your burgeoning little family! I couldn’t help by smile at your announcement a few weeks ago and then again with your story here. So many congratulations, blessings, prayers and good thoughts are flowing your way!

Lindsay — July 18, 2013 @ 7:25 pm

Two days ago,I learned that my first pregnancy has resulted in miscarriage. Reading your story put a much-needed smile on my face, and provides hope for the future. Congratulations!

Valerie — July 18, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

Crying my eyes out! So happy for you!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — July 18, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

Omg. Congrats you guys!! I was weeping and held my breath a few times while reading. So so happy for you guys!! Yay :D

Nancy — July 18, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

Tinita!!!!! Soooooo happy for you two!!! God is great!!! I’m going with a BOY!!!! XOXO

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — July 18, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

Im crying such happy tears for you both! This is so amazing after such a long journey! God is good!! Congratulations, you guys deserve this!!

Deb — July 18, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

Tina,
    This is so exciting. Rejoicing with you in God’s bountiful gift to you and your husband.

-Deb and Rex

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — July 19, 2013 @ 12:19 am

Truly an incredible journey and I’m so glad this has finally happened for you guys!

Mom — July 19, 2013 @ 12:21 am

I say BOY!!! I’m so excited for Saturday!!!

Jill Hartley — July 19, 2013 @ 6:35 am

What a beautiful beautiful ending. You are due the exact same time I am :-) (well, I’m assuming I’m 17+ weeks too!) What a blessing! Congrats!

Molly S — July 19, 2013 @ 7:56 am

So excited for you all! This story got me all choked up this morning! God is so good. Blessings!

Anita at Hungry Couple — July 19, 2013 @ 8:03 am

What a process to go through. My heart ached for you. Whatever the gender, it will be a beautiful and loved baby.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — July 19, 2013 @ 8:42 am

Eeeee!! <3 <3 Boy!

sandra — July 19, 2013 @ 8:51 am

So very happy for you guys! You are going to be awesome parents.

Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) — July 19, 2013 @ 8:56 am

I teared up reading this. Such a great story! Can’t wait to find out the gender!

Beth Anne — July 19, 2013 @ 9:20 am

So happy for yall!!! and Boy =)God is so good!

Anna — July 19, 2013 @ 10:09 am

You sure made a lot of people cry with this post (myself included!). It gives me hope :)

Pat P — July 19, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

Everytime I see that you’ve posted I’ve been hoping you had news of a pregnancy. I’m so happy for you two. My daughter went through the same process and now they have a beautiful 8 month old daughter.

Carla @ Carlas Confections — July 19, 2013 @ 1:05 pm

Seriously tearing up over your story. I know how painful it is too first hand. But God is truly amazing and you (and He) are/is giving me hope that it will happen on His timing. I am so excited for you guys!! I cant wait for us to be there, but seriously excited for you!! Huge congrats!! I am thinking… a boy :) Cant wait to find out!

Jesse — July 19, 2013 @ 5:12 pm

Congrats! I’ve been reading your blog for a while and praying for you and your hubs. This post brought tears to my eyes because I’ve been in the same exact shoes as you but thankfully I’m on the other side with a 10 week old. Hopefully your pregnancy will continue to be healthy and that you feel better soon! Motherhood is hands down the best job in the world!

LizA — July 19, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

Best. story. ever.

My guess: twins.

Stefany — July 19, 2013 @ 6:02 pm

Your story couldn’t have come at a better time! My husband & I are about to start IVF. We’ve just started our journey…any tips on websites or where to go for IVF financing??

• Tina replied: — August 5th, 2013 @ 11:17 am

IVF financing is typically offered through whichever practice you decide to go through… Our Reproductive Endocrinologist gave us the package options and financing options after our consultation.

diana — July 22, 2013 @ 8:22 am

Oh my looooord im crying. How flippin exciting,.ill never forget when I found out I was having my daughter, we were trying and after several negatives there is nothing like a positive! Im excited to follow and see belly pictures

Ashley — July 22, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

So so so happy for you two and congrats on finding out it’s a girl!! xoxo

Susan — July 22, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

Hey I am so very very happy for you! It has been a long long road, but am praying for a very healthy pregnancy and delivery-I know you two will be the bestest parents ever-that is one lucky little girl!

Jamie — July 23, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

Congrats! That pic of meds made me smile- i have a similar pic myself:) We were lucky enough to get pregnant on our first full round of IVF (after two IUIs and a canceled IVF) and my amazing little girl is now 10 weeks old! i love being a mom even more than i thought I would- and as you would know- i thought A LOT about it!

ErinsFoodFiles — August 2, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

Awww! Thank you for sharing your story! I was anxious to hear it! Congratulations again!

Megan — August 5, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

How awesome! We have been trying for three years too. Lots of prayers and lots of waiting. I know my time shall come too. So excited that it is yours though!!!

• Tina replied: — August 6th, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

it will – keep believing girl! The time seems like an absolute ETERNITY when you are in it, but once you get to the other side you can see God’s hand moving and orchestrating the timing perfectly! Best wishes to you and your hubby!

Liz — August 28, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

Just found your site through a google search for a recipe and am now hooked. Congratulations!!!!