Monday, August 5, 2013

Crispy Shallot, Bacon & Brie Burger with Sweet Date Aioli

Crispy Shallot, Bacon & Brie Burger with Sweet Date Aioli | My Life as a Mrs

I’m finally back in the kitchen ya’ll!!! After months of crazy morning sickness (compliments of the little lady taking up residence in my growing uterus), a new home purchase/move/and town home sale, my husband getting a hernia and needing surgery, and myself driving to Ohio and back… I am FINALLY up and running in my “new” kitchen.

I say “new” because it’s part of phase 2 of our renovation plans! Our house was built in 1971 and “Phase 1″ of our renovation went into making the house liveable (we redid a bunch of electrical work, took out a wall, ripped out all the flooring and laid hardwood, scraped the second-hand-smoke filled popcorn ceiling off, replaced all the doors, and painted every wall in the place. PHEWF!) Phase 2 will be the KITCHEN (Woop woop!!!). But that won’t happen for quite some time… I’m a little reno-d out & we’ve got a little girl’s room to focus on decorating for the next few months! ;)

Anyhow, while I was in Ohio we visited a new restaurant in downtown Chagrin called FlipSide Burger.

Crispy Shallot, Bacon & Brie Burger with Sweet Date Aioli | My Life as a Mrs

FlipSide is this funky little burger joint that serves all Ohio Grass Fed Beef burger patties that are PHENOMENAL. My mom and I each got a different burger and split them… both unbelievably divine! My burger selection was called the “One Red Door” which is apparently the burger that started it all. It was SO good that I knew I had to recreate it for hubs when I got home (it was SO in his wheel house).

The “One Red Door” was adorned with crispy shallots, melted brie cheese, and a bacon date aioli. It was the PERFECT combination of salty, savory, creamy, and sweet! LOVED. EVERY. BITE.  I decided to take the bacon out of the aioli and instead put big thick slices on top of each burger because I wanted the bacon flavor a little more at the fore front.

AMAZEFEST!

Crispy Shallot, Bacon & Brie Burger with Sweet Date Aioli | My Life as a Mrs

So what was hubs’ consensus? I shall quote his response, “Holy crap this might be the best burger I’ve ever tasted!”

I’d call that a win. ;)

It’s grilling season and I know ya’ll need some new burger recipes for your repertoire… don’t be afraid of the funky flavors in this beauty! They go together so so well.

Add this baby to your “to make” list. It will knock your socks off!

Happy Grilling!

Crispy Shallot, Bacon & Brie Burger with Sweet Date Aioli | My Life as a Mrs

Crispy Shallot, Bacon & Brie Burger with Sweet Date Aioli

Yield: 4 Burgers

Prep Time: 15-20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 35-40 minutes

A unique sweet and savory burger that will get you out of that grilling rut & wow the crowd at the same time!

For the Crispy Shallots:
2-3 shallots, thinly sliced
1/2-3/4 cup light olive oil (just enough to cover the shallots)

For the Sweet date Aioli:
2/3 cup mayonnaise
8 dates, chopped
Pinch of salt
Cracked black pepper, to taste

For the Burgers:
1.25 pounds ground beef, divided into 4 patties
4 hamburger buns
4 thick cut strips of bacon, cooked crisp and cut in half
4-6 ounces brie Cheese, sliced into 1/4" thickness 2 1/2" long strips

For the Crispy Shallots:
Line a plate with a couple paper towels and set aside. Add thinly sliced shallots to a small saucepan and cover with light olive oil (add enough to JUST cover them). Turn heat on high and simmer until golden & crispy. Once the oil is hot, this process only takes a few minutes. Keep a close eye on them because they quickly go from light colored to dark golden (stir them often). Once golden and crispy remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel lined plate. I like to sprinkle a pinch of salt on them right as they come out the oil but you could skip this step if on a low sodium diet.

For the Sweet date Aioli:
Coarse chop the dates and add to a food processor or blender. Add the mayonnaise and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Process until dates are well chopped and incorporated into the mayonnaise. Scrape into a bowl and set aside until ready to use (can make this hours in advanced or even the day before).

For the Burgers:
Season your burger patties however you like (my go to is a simple salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and garlic powder mix - a dash of each on both sides). Preheat grill to medium high heat, spray grill, and gently add patties. Grill for roughly 3-5 minutes per side (depending on your desired doneness preference and grill heat consistency). When you flip the burgers, add a few slices of brie to each burger. Remove from grill and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes.

To build burgers add a burger patty to each bun and top with 2 halves of crispy bacon. Slather some the the sweet date aioli on the tops of each bun, sandwich on top of patty, and serve. May also add lettuce, tomato, and pickle if desired.

24 Responses to “Crispy Shallot, Bacon & Brie Burger with Sweet Date Aioli”

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 5, 2013 @ 7:45 am

Hooray for being back in the kitchen! And jeez… reading about what you guys have done to the house wore me out just thinking about it all ;) Now pass me a burger!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — August 5, 2013 @ 8:01 am

I hear ya at the house craziness! My kitchen is currently covered in a fine layer of granite dust as we just had a new fireplace built! The construction remodeling is making me crazy. i just want my kitchen back! In any case, happy you have yours back. This looks crazy good!!

Lauren @ Hall Nesting — August 5, 2013 @ 8:03 am

That sounds amazing! I love when the hubby gets overly excited! We were in the process of moving into our new house a few weeks ago and being out of the kitchen was frustrating. But every time we move the hubby knows the first boxes to get unpacked are the kitchen goods not the clothing haha.

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — August 5, 2013 @ 9:36 am

Wow these burgers look unreal and delicious!!! So much to be excited about in these!!!

valerie — August 5, 2013 @ 10:05 am

looks sooooo good TY

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — August 5, 2013 @ 10:25 am

You’ve been busy…and with morning sickness? Props Momma..you’re better then me! Sounds like your house is going to be perfect! Congrats on everything!
    This burger sounds perfect too! I love all of these flavors together so so much! Definitely trying these babies out before grilling season up here in the NE ends!

Linda | The Urban Mrs — August 5, 2013 @ 2:56 pm

Hooray for a new place. It must have been a crazy month for you with packing and unpacking (ugh, things that I always try to avoid), glad you’re still in one-piece. And this burger…I love everything in it, especially with crispy shallot and brie. They definitely make every bite tastes wonderful!

Cookbook Queen — August 6, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

This burger looks insane. INSANE!! Congratulations on all the big changes in your life!!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — August 6, 2013 @ 4:10 pm

Great burger! Love the addition of date, would’ve never come up with that myself.

Emily @ Life on Food — August 6, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

That is quite a statement from the Hubs. I am appreciating burgers more and more each day this summer.

Mom — August 7, 2013 @ 6:27 am

This looks so good….just like flip side :)

Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} — August 7, 2013 @ 11:10 am

I was sold at bacon and brie, but the sweet date aioli nailed it. Making these!!

natalie@thesweetslife — August 7, 2013 @ 8:07 pm

i love a fancy burger and the aioli on here sounds like it’s to die for!

Thursday Things. : Oven Love — August 8, 2013 @ 7:19 am

[…] have seriously got my eye on Tina’s crispy shallot, bacon and brie burger. Yes and […]

Carrie D — August 8, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I’ve been reading for a while and I think you are too precious! I made this burger for my husband tonight and we both were in heaven! Thanks for sharing!

Tracy | PeanutButter and onion — August 9, 2013 @ 7:59 am

Hey, just found your blog and I landed on this awesome recipe!!! thanks for sharing

Shelly (Cookies and Cups) — August 9, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

Cant go wrong with a bacon burger for sure! Pinned!

Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is — August 10, 2013 @ 8:13 am

[…] crispy shallot, bacon and brie burger. oh hi, i’m […]

Rachel @ Bakerita — August 11, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

I’m sitting with some friends right now, and we’re all drooling over how incredible this looks. Wish I had one right now. Extra everything please!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — August 13, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

So glad you’re back and feeling better! This burer would be first thing on my list of things to DEVOUR!! Crispy shallots, and i’m sold!

katie — August 14, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

Ugh.. every time we think about selling our home I think about all the work we did just to get in our home and then I change my mind. You go girl… you have been busy! This burger sounds and looks amazing! Now… get to resting please! ;)

Everything Awesome This Week | justabiteatatime — August 17, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

[…] This burger, y’all. […]

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper — August 21, 2013 @ 7:09 pm

Oh wow, these sound incredibly delicious!

Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes — August 25, 2013 @ 7:05 pm

Sounds like my kind of burger too!! I’m making turkey burgers this week, and might have to take some inspiration from this recipe!